Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
For the city sight-seeing, it seems like I should have plenty of time to take the CTA to Millennium park. The only issue I have is that I've got nowhere to stash my checked suitcases... Does anyone have any suggestions?
I read that Hilton ORD may be willing to hold onto bags for a nominal tip, but it sounds like it may be YMMV? What are some alternatives in case they refuse? Rather not have to lug suitcases on the CTA...
I have no idea which airlines you are flying to and from ORD.

Are your flights on the same or separate tickets? Can you check your bags through to your ultimate destination at your originating airport? If not, is there a reason that you can't check-in for your flight from ORD and drop your checked bags before heading into the city?

The Hilton's entrance is located in the tunnel on the way from the terminals (1-3) to the CTA station.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I have no idea which airlines you are flying to and from ORD.

Are your flights on the same or separate tickets? Can you check your bags through to your ultimate destination at your originating airport? If not, is there a reason that you can't check-in for your flight from ORD and drop your checked bags before heading into the city?

The Hilton's entrance is located in the tunnel on the way from the terminals (1-3) to the CTA station.
Flying in on TK, flying out on AC.

Separate tickets, and I don't think AC allows check in of baggage until 3-4 hours prior to departure unfortunately.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Separate tickets, and I don't think AC allows check in of baggage until 3-4 hours prior to departure unfortunately.
You're correct:

When can I drop off my bags?

You may check your bags at the baggage drop-off counter at the earliest:

• 4 hours prior to departure for flights from Canada or the U.S.
  • 3 hours prior to departure for flights from all other locations.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Is this policy? Can you give it a try?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is this policy? Can you give it a try?
I've tried dropping off bags on AC with separate tickets at two different airports (YYZ and YUL), I couldn't get the bags checked through and I had to wait until 4 hours before departure to check in both times. If your bags are checked through you may have a different experience depending on the specific airlines and airports..
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

If TK thru-checks the bags, the bags are already tagged for making the AC bag.

TK thru-checks my bags across separately ticketed PNRs when all the flights are Star Alliance-operated. One of the things that make me really prefer Star Alliance routings over Oneworld and SkyTeam routings.

While you would still have to claim the bag at ORD to clear customs, the international transit bag handling staff right before the public, land-side arrivals hall have taken my bags anyway as long as they are tagged already with ORD showing as an interim airport on the bag tags.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

TK thru-checks my bags across separately ticketed PNRs when all the flights are Star Alliance-operated. One of the things that make me really prefer Star Alliance routings over Oneworld and SkyTeam routings.

While you would still have to claim the bag at ORD to clear customs, the international transit bag handling staff right before the public, land-side arrivals hall have taken my bags anyway as long as they are tagged already with ORD showing as an interim airport on the bag tags.
I'm hoping that TK will thru-check on separate PNRs, but given it's been a hit or miss with TK in the past I was just looking for some alternative options.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

OW and ST don't do this?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
OW and ST don't do this?
Some OW airlines do, some don't. Most notably, BA and AA don't check through on separate tickets.
GUWonder and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:02 pm

OW and ST don't do this?
oneworld no longer requires member airlines to interline baggage for flights on separate PNRs. This has been extensively discussed in the American Airlines forum.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
oneworld no longer requires member airlines to interline baggage for flights on separate PNRs. This has been extensively discussed in the American Airlines forum.
Wow. Why? What's the reason for that?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:47 pm

Wow. Why? What's the reason for that?
That's a topic for the linked thread and the one in the oneworld forum.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:04 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Is there a bar at ORD where I can catch the second half of OSU@PSU next Saturday before heading into the city? Flying on AA and landing just after noon. TIA
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by aau
Is there a bar at ORD where I can catch the second half of OSU@PSU next Saturday before heading into the city? Flying on AA and landing just after noon. TIA

There is a "Blackhawks" bar in Terminal 2 around gate E5. I haven't spent any time there, but has a sports bar vibe and I seem to recall seeing several TVs there.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Originally Posted by aau
OSU @ PSU will be on a terrestrial TV channel (the local FOX affiliate - for Chicago, WFLD Ch. 32).
You should have no problem finding an airside venue showing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.