Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Also known as "wet."
Yes, but "wet" doesn't sound very appealing to a visitor who isn't familiar with Italian beef here.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:37 pm

Exclamation hot jucy or wet

It all sounds good to me! I've never had one but I've seen them on tv and I just knew I had to have one. The weather looks good for a smooth flight tomorrow and hopefully I'll land on time and get to do this. I'm looking forward to it and I'll post when I get back in 10 days with the results. ^
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you don't like hot peppers, you can get it "sweet" (green peppers).

There's nothing like a good Chicago-style Italian beef sandwich. Make sure you have a bunch of napkins handy, or a spare shirt.

Follow it with an authentic Chicago-style hot dog with everything.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
That whole being local thing takes you out of the running, if I'm buying, my rules.
You need to arrange or get to a local Do sometime.@:-)
Fair enough. You have to admit it was worth a try, though!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Make sure you have a bunch of napkins handy, or a spare shirt.
And some mouthwash. Your seatmate on the connecting flight will appreciate it.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:46 pm

Final Report

My flight from San Jose was delayed on departure almost an hr and a half and I didn't feel comfortable going very far. I ended up going to the sports bar at the Hilton for a cold one and some lunch. Thanks for the tip UNITED959. As it turns out I could have gone because my connecting flight had mechanical problems and we were put on another plane but I did not find that out until boarding the original plane had begun. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes. I just want to thank everyone here who took the time to reply to me especially balima, and wish you all safe and happy trails! ^
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:08 am

Is 5 hr layover at ORD enough time for 1st timer to see downtown Chicago?

I'm likely to have a scheduled 5 hr 20 mins layover (domestic to international) at ORD. Does this give me enough time to go downtown, see something of Chicago and get back to ORD for my flight?

Thanks for any help.^

Edited: OK so it's now a 9 hour lay-over which gives us a bit more time to have a comfortable trip into Chicago and back. Please see posts from 29 onwards.

Last edited by Corpt; Oct 27, 2007 at 8:43 am Reason: Now 9 hour lay-over not 5.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:41 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The 'el ride to downtown Chicago is about 45-55 minutes as I recall. Much is underground once you get close to the city.

Domestic to 'el is fairly a short jaunt by the tunnels.

Unfortunately when you come back, you have to do the same thing PLUS get on a train to go to the International terminal (adding maybe 15 minutes to the journey).

International flights suggest (require) you to check in about 2 hours before flight time. I know that seems like a long time but that is what I understand. Technically you and your luggage will already be checked in so all you have to do is pass thru formalities and get to the gate. Allowing 1 hour for that instead of 2 makes sense (most international flights board 45 minutes prior to departure).

OK .. you get off the plane, walk to the 'el station, buy ticket and possibly wait 15 minutes for a train and get downtown. That may take total time 1.5 hours outbound travel. Lets assume the same on the return. So 3 hours of traveling and the one hour checkin need leaves you an hour to explore Chicago.

The 'el does not go to North Michigan Avenue (shopping mecca) but more to State Street and that part of the city. While you could walk to the Art Museum or the lakefront, I think you would immediately be walking back to the train instead of enjoying the city.

The trip would be VERY tight in my opinion. Also if the return trip is anytime weekday after 4pm (when rush hour starts) your travel time may increase and also you may find yourself squashed into a train or waiting for another train.

Think of it this way... if I had 5 hours in London could I see much of the city? The HEX is a huge advantage, but forget that and think Picadilly line. In 5 hours on that line (coming and going) what could you see. I think the comparison is pretty equal there. Except for the fact that the Tube allows you to get closer to some of the interesting sites in the city compared to the 'el.

On a side note .. I have had a 6 hour layover (domestic to domestic) and gone into Chicago for lunch. Tho I know where I am going and stations and all. I have also had 12 hour layover in London and took the HEX and done some sightseeing. So I know what you are asking ...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JGR01
The 'el ride to downtown Chicago is about 45-55 minutes as I recall.
This assumes the Blue Line is functioning properly.

Bad assumption.

Don't try going downtown on a 5-hour layover.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:55 am

The 'el ride to downtown Chicago is about 45-55 minutes as I recall. Much is underground once you get close to the city.

Domestic to 'el is fairly a short jaunt by the tunnels.

Unfortunately when you come back, you have to do the same thing PLUS get on a train to go to the International terminal (adding maybe 15 minutes to the journey).

International flights suggest (require) you to check in about 2 hours before flight time. I know that seems like a long time but that is what I understand. Technically you and your luggage will already be checked in so all you have to do is pass thru formalities and get to the gate. Allowing 1 hour for that instead of 2 makes sense (most international flights board 45 minutes prior to departure).

OK .. you get off the plane, walk to the 'el station, buy ticket and possibly wait 15 minutes for a train and get downtown. That may take total time 1.5 hours outbound travel. Lets assume the same on the return. So 3 hours of traveling and the one hour checkin need leaves you an hour to explore Chicago.

The 'el does not go to North Michigan Avenue (shopping mecca) but more to State Street and that part of the city. While you could walk to the Art Museum or the lakefront, I think you would immediately be walking back to the train instead of enjoying the city.

The trip would be VERY tight in my opinion. Also if the return trip is anytime weekday after 4pm (when rush hour starts) your travel time may increase and also you may find yourself squashed into a train or waiting for another train.

Think of it this way... if I had 5 hours in London could I see much of the city? The HEX is a huge advantage, but forget that and think Picadilly line. In 5 hours on that line (coming and going) what could you see. I think the comparison is pretty equal there. Except for the fact that the Tube allows you to get closer to some of the interesting sites in the city compared to the 'el.

On a side note .. I have had a 6 hour layover (domestic to domestic) and gone into Chicago for lunch. Tho I know where I am going and stations and all. I have also had 12 hour layover in London and took the HEX and done some sightseeing. So I know what you are asking ...
That's very helpful thanks, particularly with the London comparison. So I guess the answer's "No"!

Do you have any recommendations then for what to do closer to the airport (13:00 to 18:00 on a weekday)?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that with 5:20, going ALL the way downtown is not a good idea.

Unfortunately, there's not much of anything worth seeing near ORD.

Any chance you can shorten (or lengthen) that connection?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
I agree with what's been said so far.
I always count on 1 hour for the blue-line.
Also, they are currently doing track-improvement construction.
And, some days, those zones have significant slow-down.

Depends on what time of day you'll be there . . . taxis are $40 each way and take 20-30 min (no traffic) but at rush hour (with current construction) could take 1hr 30min or 2hrs.

It's definitelty doable if you were flying into Midway instead.
Train ride is more like 25-30 min. Taxis are $25.

But, I'd say no-go for Ohare :-(
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Originally Posted by Corpt
Do you have any recommendations then for what to do closer to the airport (13:00 to 18:00 on a weekday)?
Eat a nice meal? I think we already have a couple of threads on this very subject.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Last time I did this it took me two hours each way - the L was diverting to city buses for part of the way. I had a 10 hour layover and it was still stressful
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

Not neccesarily. Many int'l flights depart from the domestic terminals, such as those on United, American, Lufthansa, Air Canada, and a few others. So depending on the airline that won't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.