Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:12 pm

I've invested in a lounge pass. I just graduated off of crutches and won't be up for venturing to downtown.
Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tempus
I've invested in a lounge pass. I just graduated off of crutches and won't be up for venturing to downtown.
Thanks!
The on-site Hilton charges $5 for day-use of their health club which has a pool and jacuzzi.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
5 hr layover in ORD

I looked, but did not find specifics.

Wife and I will have a 5 hr layover at ORD and would like to get away from airport for a couple of hours.

Is there a nice, safe area within 15 min of ORD on the train. Specfically looking for a decent off airport restaurant (TGIF type) to sit, relax and watch some football (Sun afternoon). Or even a mall of some type.

Or a hotel area we can "hitch" a shuttle to and find a nearby spot to relax for a few hours (I usualy tip the shuttle driver when doing this and just mention meeting others at the hotel)

We will have backpacks, but no big bags to haul.

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Or a hotel area we can "hitch" a shuttle to and find a nearby spot to relax for a few hours (I usualy tip the shuttle driver when doing this and just mention meeting others at the hotel)
You might try the Rosemont Holiday Inn in which the Harry Carry's restaurant resides. I don' t know what time your layover is, but Harry's is a reasonably good sports bar type thing with both casual food in the bar and a full menu of steaks/chops/chicken in the DR.

Have a good layover!
Dave
Old Sep 28, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: DL, AA
I don't know the area that well, but with the blue line under construction, I would try for something close by the airport.

I spent a nice late-afternoon / early evening before a flight at the Harry Caray's in Rosemont. TVs in the bar were tuned to the game - baseball at the time. It's at the Holiday Inn, so an airport shuttle should be available.

edit to add: Guess I type slowly... or spent too long looking up the links. lol
Old Sep 28, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could also just go to the airport Hilton. I'm sure they have a sports bar or something.

No dangerous areas near O'Hare.

edit: they do have a sports bar. http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...HH/dining.do#3
Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:30 am

Do the Hilton option, being right across the street, nothing beats it in terms of convience... it's essentially a RCC/AC, albeit outside of security. But, if you have five hours, this probably a much easier option than hopping the EL or a cab to HC's.

It's right outside (technically inside maybe??) T2 at ORD (if I remember correctly...?) and even I, as a Chicago person, have spent a few drinks down there.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Thanks all. I have used the Airport Hilton before. Not bad, just sometimes a bit too much like airport (although convenient). I will likely try the airport/hotel shuttle to get to H.I. and Harry Careys.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I haven't been myself, but previous threads have mentioned the Gale Street Inn, which is right by the Jefferson Park el stop (you can see it from the station).

http://www.galestreet.com/

The blue line seems to be pretty much finished through that stretch, so the trip should be no more than about 15 minutes from the ORD stop. And, if you cut the return closer than you'd like, there are always a million cabs at the el station, and the trip by cab back to ORD is no more than about 10 minutes (unless traffic is very bad, since the Kennedy usually opens up at about Harlem.)
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
Due to flooding 2+ weeks ago, service between Rosemont and O'Hare is slower than usual. At this point, some trains end at Rosemont and do not go to O'Hare. Just pointing out that service is not running normally at this point.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Could also just go to the airport Hilton. I'm sure they have a sports bar or something.

No dangerous areas near O'Hare.

edit: they do have a sports bar. http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...HH/dining.do#3
The Gaslight Club can be fun depending upon what type of mood you are in. Imagine a tame version of the 1960s Playboy Club with good food. The food is is very good and its the type of place that does not exist anymore. Fine for singles, couple and everyone unless with children.

Last edited by mktozd; Sep 30, 2008 at 12:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:51 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Five hours at ORD - time to visit Chicago?

I am sure this has been asked before - tried a search with various word combinations and came up empty. So if someone could point me to a former thread or offer advice - much appreciated.

I am planning a family holiday to New York from Manchester which will involve a 5 hour layover at ORD. Arrival into ORD at 12:45pm and departing back to Manchester at 5:40pm. (at the moment I can get 5 cheap tickets using these flights - flights with less layover time costing alot more).

Would this give us enough time to have a bit of time in downtown chicago - or is it not worth the hassle?

If we stay at the airport - anywhere for a nice lunch, either at airport or a nearby hotel or restaurant that we could take a quick cab ride to?

Many thanks
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:00 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Originally Posted by forextrader
I am sure this has been asked before - tried a search with various word combinations and came up empty. So if someone could point me to a former thread or offer advice - much appreciated.

I am planning a family holiday to New York from Manchester which will involve a 5 hour layover at ORD. Arrival into ORD at 12:45pm and departing back to Manchester at 5:40pm. (at the moment I can get 5 cheap tickets using these flights - flights with less layover time costing alot more).

Would this give us enough time to have a bit of time in downtown chicago - or is it not worth the hassle?

If we stay at the airport - anywhere for a nice lunch, either at airport or a nearby hotel or restaurant that we could take a quick cab ride to?

Many thanks

I wouldn't try to venture in the city. By train, it takes 50 minutes (+the time you wait for the train). By cab, 30 or so minutes. You'll be coming back in rush hour, so it will be an hour long cab ride.

If you really want to have lunch in downtown, you could do so. But you won't have much time for anything else.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:48 am

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by forextrader

Many thanks
The Hilton Chicago O'Hare is an easy inside walk and connected to the airport in Terminal 2 and also Terminal 3 (AA Concourses). You can check their dining options here: http://www1.hilton.com/us/hi/hotel/CHIOHHH/dining.do

Last edited by InPlaneSight; Jan 8, 2009 at 4:07 am Reason: .
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
agreeing with the above, ORD isn't a place I'd care to linger very long but 5 hrs isn't enough IMHO to leave and go into the city. you'd be cutting it close, at best. the suggestion for hanging out at a hotel is a good one, on par with lounging around the Admirals Club (1 day pass will cost you $50)

Edit: don't hit the Admirals Club if you want a nice meal

Last edited by benzguy80; Jan 8, 2009 at 4:23 am Reason: added note about AC and nice meal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.