Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:29 am

Layover ORD - What to do ?

Hello,

I have a 5 hour layover on April 13 between my LH flight from Frankfurt and the connecting flight to Jacksonville.

Anything to do at the airport, or could it be reasonable to visit downtown (Sears Tower?) during this time?

Moreover: How is transfer at ORD from international to national, I understood that I have to clear security once again?

Yours,

Matthias
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
With a five hour layover, I would not necessarily recommend heading downtown. The CTA (train) ride takes about 45 minutes and a cab ride will take you 1/2 hour or maybe much more during times of heavy traffic.

You have to use the ATS system (a small tram) between the International Terminal 5 and Terminal 1 assuming you fly United. You will have to clear security again in the domestic terminals.

As far as things to do, there are three Red Carpet Clubs in the United Terminal. Also the airport Hilton has several nice restaurants, which can be much quieter than the terminals, however it is obviously outside security. There is really not that much to do close in to O'Hare airport, so unless you have the time to go downtown Chicago, I would not recommend leaving the airport.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDflyr
With a five hour layover, I would not necessarily recommend heading downtown. The CTA (train) ride takes about 45 minutes and a cab ride will take you 1/2 hour or maybe much more during times of heavy traffic.

You have to use the ATS system (a small tram) between the International Terminal 5 and Terminal 1 assuming you fly United. You will have to clear security again in the domestic terminals.

As far as things to do, there are three Red Carpet Clubs in the United Terminal. Also the airport Hilton has several nice restaurants, which can be much quieter than the terminals, however it is obviously outside security. There is really not that much to do close in to O'Hare airport, so unless you have the time to go downtown Chicago, I would not recommend leaving the airport.
The Hilton also has an Atheletic facility that you can use for a nominal charge.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by nigos
The Hilton also has an Atheletic facility that you can use for a nominal charge.
I think it is $10...excellent way to recharge after your FRA-ORD segment.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:33 am

Thank you

Thanks for the reply - the Hilton looks like a good idea.

and yes - I am leaving on United
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Real Food

If you are in the market for a bit of real food. There are excellent restaurants available by free shuttle to area hotels. I suggest Hyatt Rosemont for the Steak Sandwich; or, go top shelf and do Morton's of Chicago. I thing the Marriott shuttle is the closest. Advise if interested and I will provide details.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by mjcasta
If you are in the market for a bit of real food. There are excellent restaurants available by free shuttle to area hotels. I suggest Hyatt Rosemont for the Steak Sandwich; or, go top shelf and do Morton's of Chicago. I thing the Marriott shuttle is the closest. Advise if interested and I will provide details.
Care to give us the detail about the Hyatt Rosemont Steak Sandwich, I often have 3 hours connection at ORD, is this good enough time?
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:27 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Yes, three hours would be enough for a domestic connection, maybe cutting it close for an international arrival.

This is a frequently asked question over at the Chicago forum:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528778
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:50 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I'm assuming you are connecting from the first FRA-ORD flight on LH, which arrives at 12:10pm. There is a 1:15pm flight to JAX, which, if you hurried you could possibly make it, but it would be tight. I would try for it.

You will have to clear customs in Terminal 5, then take the train to Terminal 1 and reclear security.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Steak Sandwich

If you time things right, 3 hours is plenty with boarding passes in hand to hit the Hyatt.

From Domestic Terminals - Follow signs to ground transportation center - 10 minute walk to/from most gates. If arriving on UA, it is easier to head down to baggage claim and then walk across the street. All shuttle buses depart from here.

From International Arrivals Building - Call 847 518 1234 (Hyatt) as soon as you clear customs. Head to to Portal 5E (lower level) and the shuttle will pick you up.

The Hyatt shuttle departs every 20 minutes. Once you arrive at the Rosemont Hyatt (Not ORD Hyatt), head to the desk and set up your return ride. It is on call based on need. Go around the corner and have a seat in the restaurant. Service is prompt and the sandwich is excellent.

I frequently do this with a 2 hour layover. If I had a 4+ layover, I would head to Morton's and really do it up right!

Last edited by mjcasta; Mar 12, 2006 at 4:39 pm
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Given it is ORD we're talking about, there's a fair chance air traffic control will eat up half of your layover.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:11 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mjcasta
If I had a 4+ layover, I would head to Morton's and really do it up right!
Which Morton's is closest to ORD?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Which Morton's is closest to ORD?
The one in Rosemont,,,,,which is located here. It is located in Columbia Center III, which is near the Sofitel, Embassy Suites, and the Hyatt Regency Ohare.....ENJOY!!

Best wishes, Dave
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:31 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bseller
The one in Rosemont,,,,,which is located here. It is located in Columbia Center III, which is near the Sofitel, Embassy Suites, and the Hyatt Regency Ohare.....ENJOY!!

Best wishes, Dave
Thanks, but drat, not open for lunch.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SPG Platinum
One of my favorites, and a real Chicago treat, is to go to Gino's East in Rosemont. It's about a 10 min taxi ride there. (Get the cab company # to go back).

It's real Chicago Style Pizza. (Much better than Uno's).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.