Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
At one time Continental could not by contract operate regional jets between hubs so you never saw them to EWR or IAH. Noticed they are operating revenue flight around the Browns charter, a 757-300 this week. On Saturday had a IAH-CLE morning fight to position the charter to MCI. Today they operated another IAH-CLE flight, then ferried the aircraft to MCI to bring the Browns back and that aircraft will operate another extra flight Monday morning CLE-IAH. They do not do this from what I can see at other non hub airports.
Fascinating!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:20 am

With all of the construction going on at CLE, does the Premier Access (non Pre Check, but expedited security) lane still exist at C?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:06 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The current EWR-CLE schedule first departure 8:29AM next flight not till 3:55PM. There is over a 7 hour gap for hub service that's not good. They are also using more RJ's on this route. With the CLE downsize you would think they would maintain decent service to EWR and IAH but flights and downsized aircraft. Also notice CLE-ORD down to 8 flights but the last departure is at 5:30PM. They used to have flights running as late a 9:00PM.
During the week, Mid-day demand for EWR-CLE was always low. At least there are still 5 flights each way. As RNE "implied", there is a 1PM EWR-CAK, good for someone like me who is equi-distance from both airports (though both NS flights are always Emb-145s).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:11 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CLEContinental
With all of the construction going on at CLE, does the Premier Access (non Pre Check, but expedited security) lane still exist at C?
Yes, but since this line also includes travelers from a bunch of "select companies," it is often longer than the regular line. How quickly can you do your shoes off/on? I've used the PA line if it was short, and I was too weary to return to B Pre-Check area.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Zip
Yes, but since this line also includes travelers from a bunch of "select companies," it is often longer than the regular line. How quickly can you do your shoes off/on? I've used the PA line if it was short, and I was too weary to return to B Pre-Check area.
Thanks - good to know. I'm a pretty seasoned traveler and have Precheck, but am travelling with family who don't have it. So have to use the regular Premier Access line this time. Shoes on/off in about 5 seconds..
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
I was checking my ORD-CLE status today and noticed there was flight UA501 that was scheduled to leave ORD at 12:06AM this morning. It didn't leave until around 1:30 so it didn't get into CLE until after 3:30AM. Anybody know the reasoning behind this fight? I can't recall ever seeing an ORD-CLE flight at that hour. It definitely wasn't a ferry flight because there were a lot of occupied seats on the seat map and people on the upgrade list. Maybe repositioning and they just used it as a revenue flight anyways?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by rolltribe
I was checking my ORD-CLE status today and noticed there was flight UA501 that was scheduled to leave ORD at 12:06AM this morning. It didn't leave until around 1:30 so it didn't get into CLE until after 3:30AM. Anybody know the reasoning behind this fight? I can't recall ever seeing an ORD-CLE flight at that hour. It definitely wasn't a ferry flight because there were a lot of occupied seats on the seat map and people on the upgrade list. Maybe repositioning and they just used it as a revenue flight anyways?
United added some unusual red-eyes this holiday season, including the type that you described...after midnight departures with early early AM arrivals.

There was a couple days of ORD->DAY with the same setup.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
United added some unusual red-eyes this holiday season, including the type that you described...after midnight departures with early early AM arrivals.

There was a couple days of ORD->DAY with the same setup.
They aren't the only ones... AA added an extra DFW-->CLE flight for some days in the spring. Usually their last flight is AA1582 leaving around 8:15, but there is an American Eagle flight leaving after 11:00 PM on some days that I have searched. That seems a little unusual, because it is rare that 1582 is full (although it is always far from empty on an MD-80).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
NOTE: I have been checking flight times and gate numbers all day at CLE today and it appears that UA made the switch to the banjo gates. All flights I am seeing are out of C18 or higher. Today is a sad day for CLE
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:41 pm

Coming in around 3 AM on an AA MD-80 just sounds miserable.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by oscar555
NOTE: I have been checking flight times and gate numbers all day at CLE today and it appears that UA made the switch to the banjo gates. All flights I am seeing are out of C18 or higher. Today is a sad day for CLE
I noticed the same thing. The EWR flights usually went out of the lower gates and all of those are in the banjo today
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:12 am

Coming in around 3 AM on an AA MD-80 just sounds miserable.
They were putting the late late night flights on an ERJ145.

When American finishes phasing out their MD-80 fleet, I'm very curious to see what their mainline flights from Cleveland will be on. A319's? Or 737's?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by plinth857
They were putting the late late night flights on an ERJ145.

When American finishes phasing out their MD-80 fleet, I'm very curious to see what their mainline flights from Cleveland will be on. A319's? Or 737's?
3 hours on an ERJ at that hour sounds just as brutal. As for the future, I would probably guess either 319 or E190. 738 in the new config. seats 20 more than the MD's and I would be surprised to see them upsize
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:21 am

3 hours on an ERJ at that hour sounds just as brutal. As for the future, I would probably guess either 319 or E190. 738 in the new config. seats 20 more than the MD's and I would be surprised to see them upsize
If they fly an E190 on this route, does that entail AA eliminating their "mainline" service for the route? A little over a year ago, I flew on an A319 on this route. I usually fly AA1582 on Sunday evenings, but I believe this was Saturday mid-day - an unusual time for me resulting in an unusual aircraft. It was far better than the MD-80, though.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by plinth857
If they fly an E190 on this route, does that entail AA eliminating their "mainline" service for the route? A little over a year ago, I flew on an A319 on this route. I usually fly AA1582 on Sunday evenings, but I believe this was Saturday mid-day - an unusual time for me resulting in an unusual aircraft. It was far better than the MD-80, though.
I believe AA considers the E190 as part of their mainline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.