Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by rolltribe
Just boarded an early flight this AM out of CLE. If you're traveling for the holidays, I would recommend getting to the airport earlier than usual if you plan on checking bags. With the construction moved down near the UA check in, it gets really congested around the kiosks. Only four premier kiosks. The security line was out of the queue and blocking the path to get to the premier kiosks at 520 this morning. UA had employees out directing people in the right directions but it was still really congested.
Here's a tip. At drop off, go all the way down to where the last UA door used to be. There is a boarded off alcove to do curbside checkin and it has a "back door" into the building. Saves the aggravation of the ridiculous traffic pattern at the kiosks and provides a straight walkway past the noise to Precheck! YMMV. Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kit125
Here's a tip. At drop off, go all the way down to where the last UA door used to be. There is a boarded off alcove to do curbside checkin and it has a "back door" into the building. Saves the aggravation of the ridiculous traffic pattern at the kiosks and provides a straight walkway past the noise to Precheck! YMMV. Merry Christmas!
Did they move precheck again? Two weeks ago, TSA precheck was in the B checkin area in the middle of the airport. Has it moved back to C?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MattR23
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn I've seen the comfort dogs at SFO before.
Doesn't look UA sponsored, but SFO has dogs: Meet the Wag Brigade
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Did they move precheck again? Two weeks ago, TSA precheck was in the B checkin area in the middle of the airport. Has it moved back to C?
Still at B....at least it was on Sunday.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2015 at 10:27 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Ok thanks. Ya I saw that boarded off walkway down there but it was such a nuthouse I didn't get a chance to see what it was.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Its still near B. I like it down there separate from everything else. It keeps away some of the hoopla from the other lines.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
EWR-CLE

The current EWR-CLE schedule first departure 8:29AM next flight not till 3:55PM. There is over a 7 hour gap for hub service that's not good. They are also using more RJ's on this route. With the CLE downsize you would think they would maintain decent service to EWR and IAH but flights and downsized aircraft. Also notice CLE-ORD down to 8 flights but the last departure is at 5:30PM. They used to have flights running as late a 9:00PM.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:47 am
RNE

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The current EWR-CLE schedule first departure 8:29AM next flight not till 3:55PM. There is over a 7 hour gap for hub service that's not good. They are also using more RJ's on this route. With the CLE downsize you would think they would maintain decent service to EWR and IAH but flights and downsized aircraft. Also notice CLE-ORD down to 8 flights but the last departure is at 5:30PM. They used to have flights running as late a 9:00PM.
This unwelcome news is part and parcel of a general diminishment of CLE vis-à-vis UA. I scry fewer United flyers in CLE. Fewer elites. Fewer Club members. Eventually, no Club at all. There may be smaller spokes with UA Clubs, but no spoke is as pilloried by UA Management as is CLE. No indignity too harsh. No hope. Meanwhile, UA added CAK-EWR service. Go figure!

RNE, peddling cold, hard truth.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I'm no expert but I'm almost positive the temporary reduction on ORD flights was for the holiday weeks. The late flight (8 or 9pm I believe) is back in JAN.

The EWR-CLE schedule has been that way for quite a while, yes it's a pain, but that is how it has been for the last few years. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there has been no recent change to it. Definitely more RJ's on both IAH/EWR but I believe the times and frequencies have stayed somewhat the same.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
This unwelcome news is part and parcel of a general diminishment of CLE vis-à-vis UA. I scry fewer United flyers in CLE. Fewer elites. Fewer Club members. Eventually, no Club at all. There may be smaller spokes with UA Clubs, but no spoke is as pilloried by UA Management as is CLE. No indignity too harsh. No hope. Meanwhile, UA added CAK-EWR service. Go figure!

RNE, peddling cold, hard truth.
Please no one accept any of this as fact, it is all merely opinion.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:07 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by CMK10
Please no one accept any of this as fact, it is all merely opinion.
Winner of the coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!

RNE, pointing out that my use of the word "scry" should disabuse anyone of the false notion that clairvoyant conjecture is genuinely meant as truth.

scry
skrī/
verb
foretell the future using a crystal ball or other reflective object or surface.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
Winner of the coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!

RNE, pointing out that my use of the word "scry" should disabuse anyone of the false notion that clairvoyant conjecture is genuinely meant as truth.

scry
skrī/
verb
foretell the future using a crystal ball or other reflective object or surface.
I have sincere admiration for your vocabulary. Your use of "pilloried" was particularly impressive.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I'm no expert but I'm almost positive the temporary reduction on ORD flights was for the holiday weeks. The late flight (8 or 9pm I believe) is back in JAN.

The EWR-CLE schedule has been that way for quite a while, yes it's a pain, but that is how it has been for the last few years. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there has been no recent change to it. Definitely more RJ's on both IAH/EWR but I believe the times and frequencies have stayed somewhat the same.
Agreed. They tend to occasionally drop the late flight to ORD on random days for whatever reason. Looks as if they are sticking with 9 or 10 flights/day to ORD into Q2 next year. And yes, the EWR-CLE schedule has been like that for a while with RJ's being used on about half of the flights. My guess is the gap is to accommodate people coming in from Europe. Most of the UA nonstops from Europe get into EWR in mid to late afternoon and having more options later in the day leaves more seats for those connections over to CLE. An 11AM or noon EWR flight wouldn't be feasible for connections and isn't very popular for business travelers. LGA doesn't have as big of a gap which gives business travelers more flexibility via LGA.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA US
Smisek forgot to tell the scheduling {team} to stop sabotaging CLE after they took the hub down; and now he's gone.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2015 at 11:38 am Reason: more appropriate term
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
At one time Continental could not by contract operate regional jets between hubs so you never saw them to EWR or IAH. Noticed they are operating revenue flight around the Browns charter, a 757-300 this week. On Saturday had a IAH-CLE morning fight to position the charter to MCI. Today they operated another IAH-CLE flight, then ferried the aircraft to MCI to bring the Browns back and that aircraft will operate another extra flight Monday morning CLE-IAH. They do not do this from what I can see at other non hub airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.