Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Sadly i read a report from last week that made me very hesitant...

Apparently on a Saturday it's a zoo!

Hopefully they will reopen another terminal and that will help but right now based on the reports I have read I am hesitant which is why I asked about the VIP type service
We arrived at CUN last Saturday 10/24 and immigration was a Zoo. Line back to the escalator. Took about an hour to make it through and limited distancing. It was the only time we were concerned the rest of the trip was great. Every store/restaurant/hotel had sanitizers etc.

our driver did mention that Terminal 3 was reopening I think the 26th which should ease the lines a bit
abaheti likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: United 1K
I am about to board IAH to CUN in a bit. This flight is pretty empty, but the ones earlier today were full. Are there an updates on the kiosks at immigration? Last time I was there there were a ton of signs saying we could use them instead of waiting on the line. However when I tried to use them I was told they were "not using them" and the "signs were wrong". Previous to that you were allowed to use them as long as you did NOT have a paper form in your possession. "Do you have a form?" "Yes" "then go over there and wait!" "Do you have a form?" "No" , "OK, welcome to the kiosks"
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:53 am

Thanks for sharing, great information.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Flew in and out of CUN back in September on AA, and was in and out of terminal 4.

Was this temporary or what to expect for my flight next week?

Also meeting some friends flying Spirit, I take it they aren't using T4?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:06 am

It's common that airports change gates based on many different variables. Airport maintenance such as new ramp lines getting painted or jetway maintenance, and now with airline traffic that can be challenging to predict, some airports will shut down full wings to consolidate the usage of an airport and make staffing security checkpoints easier.

Where I go to verify a gate, and I'm an airline pilot mind you, is;

flightaware I can't post a URL because I haven't posted enough times.

Put in your flight info and you can find a gate. Honestly I don't know here the company sources their data exactly, but they are consistently accurate. I've had my own company publish a gate incorrectly and Flightaware has the correct gate on their site!

I also draw and write a cartoon that I put out every Monday morning. And it's that time, so here it it;

coffeeandpretzels
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Deplaning 787

Anyone familiar with the deplaning process in Cancun on a 787 or similar that has both a mid and front exit door? Specifically does business class deplane from the front or is everyone funneled to the midship exit?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by bajohnsons
Anyone familiar with the deplaning process in Cancun on a 787 or similar that has both a mid and front exit door? Specifically does business class deplane from the front or is everyone funneled to the midship exit?
I’ve been there once on a 787, midship exit was used, but course business class were allowed to deplane first. I don’t believe CUN has any gates which have 2 jetways / split jetways.

Am super curious about what’s behind the question?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
I’ve been there once on a 787, midship exit was used, but course business class were allowed to deplane first. I don’t believe CUN has any gates which have 2 jetways / split jetways.

Am super curious about what’s behind the question?
Just a random curiosity, and I have too much time on my hands leading me to ponder such things. I’ve never actually flown anything other than a 737 to CUN but will be on a 787 next time!
Old Mar 21, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Just a random curiosity, and I have too much time on my hands leading me to ponder such things. I’ve never actually flown anything other than a 737 to CUN but will be on a 787 next time!
I will be flying an AA 787 to Cancun this week and will report back.
bajohnsons and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I deplaned from an AA787 at Cancun a week and a half ago, and business class deplaned through door 2L (the midship exit), along with everyone else. However, flight attendants allowed business class passengers to deplane first.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:26 am

Thanks for the follow-up!
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Is it really necessary to arrive 3 hours before departure?

We are flying out of CUN on Saturday, returning to the US on B6. Mrs. njvandy insisted on checking a bag so we do have to deal with baggage drop. Very much not looking forward to hanging around the terminal with no lounge for hours.

Any recent DPs flying back on a Saturday morning? ETD is around noon.

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy

We are flying out of CUN on Saturday, returning to the US on B6. Mrs. njvandy insisted on checking a bag so we do have to deal with baggage drop. Very much not looking forward to hanging around the terminal with no lounge for hours.

Thanks
five trips in three years (none last year) - we've always arrived 2 hours early and never had an issue, same plan for our trip this Xmas
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Question: how easy it to get from arrivals to departures? Arriving on AA. I'm arriving the day family is departing and want to meet up with them before they leave.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by njvandy

Thanks
I was there two years ago; departures was very busy and there were looooong queues at some of the Check-In desks. I was never so glad to be flying TUI premium - separate queue, processed in just a few minutes. The answer to your question is that it depends on your airline and your class of travel. I’ve never flown B6 so I’ve no idea what way they manage their ground services. I would suggest you split the difference and arrive at T-2.5 hours.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.