Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Yes - 2 weeks ago. It wasn't bad.. took about 15 minutes. Do it online in advance and print it out to speed things up. Most people were respecting social distancing.
Thanks! So there was room for social distancing because so few people? I've been stuck in that line for 60-120 minutes before, muggy, poor air circulation, hundreds of people in the winding rope lines. I'm more concerned about something like that than the flight, frankly.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
you can find the form here: https://afac.hostingerapp.com/

And yes, I tried it and it can be (must be, actually) completed online and then one can either print it out or save a screen shot on your phone/tablet.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by abaheti
Thanks! So there was room for social distancing because so few people? I've been stuck in that line for 60-120 minutes before, muggy, poor air circulation, hundreds of people in the winding rope lines. I'm more concerned about something like that than the flight, frankly.
There were quite a few people in line but they were spaced apart and the lines moved rather quickly. Be sure to print out your form in advance so they can just scan and stamp and you're on your way.
abaheti likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Can this health form be filled out a few days (72 hours) before the flight to allow time to print, etc? Or is it required to be filled out on the actual day of arrival into Mexico?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Can this health form be filled out a few days (72 hours) before the flight to allow time to print, etc? Or is it required to be filled out on the actual day of arrival into Mexico?
I filled one out online a few days prior to be ready upon arrival, but nobody asked for it.
On the way out, I was not expecting to need it, but that's when they wanted it, so I filled out another on my phone real quick. They are fine with scanning the QR code from your phone screen, does not have to be printed out.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I filled one out online a few days prior to be ready upon arrival, but nobody asked for it.
On the way out, I was not expecting to need it, but that's when they wanted it, so I filled out another on my phone real quick. They are fine with scanning the QR code from your phone screen, does not have to be printed out.
Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Are these forms standard across Mexico or is each region different? (e.g. Cabo vs. Cancun)

Regards
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:55 pm

Any update on any type of VIP service for fast track through arrivals at the CUN airport?
abaheti likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Any update on any type of VIP service for fast track through arrivals at the CUN airport?
I imagine traffic is so low right now that wait times for immigration and customs are in the range of minutes - paying for "expedite" service amounts to spending to save only several minutes. YMMV.

However, if the pax is a very high-level VIP (e.g. a Michael Jackson-type celebrity, head-of-state or a highly controversial political figure) for which there are legitimate security concerns over crowds or personal safety, then one should be talking to airport operations/security officials for suitable arrangements.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Section 107
I imagine traffic is so low right now that wait times for immigration and customs are in the range of minutes - paying for "expedite" service amounts to spending to save only several minutes.
I waited for about 30 seconds last week
abaheti likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I waited for about 30 seconds last week
This helps -- thanks. The possibility of getting stuck in the arrivals hall with a crowd is something that has made us hesitate.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:04 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

This helps -- thanks. The possibility of getting stuck in the arrivals hall with a crowd is something that has made us hesitate.
you're "stuck" on a plane for much longer than 30 seconds
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Well, yes, but OP is correctly concerned. The briefings and presentations and papers I have received from aerospace physiologists and epidemiologists is that the air in commercial airplanes is magnitudes less risky than the air in typical indoor confined spaces. While arrivals halls are typically very large spaces their air is not exchanged as thoroughly nor as frequently, and definitely not through HEPA filtering systems as occurs in airplanes. The exposure to more people is greater on land than in the aluminum tubes.

Here is some excellent information on cabin filtration system to show the airflow across the rows, and how the entire cabin air does change out in about 3 minutes. Here is a very simple explanation by ANA airlines: https://www.ana.co.jp/group/en/about...rculation.html that also has a nice little video. For those want a more scientific approach, check out this link: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...61198118799709 and the transportation research board had a conference just on this topic in 2009; here is the report: https://www.nap.edu/login.php?action...ecord_id=22941 (it is free but require creating an account; PM me and I will send you the document - it's too big to attach here) which shows some modeling that they did. The airflow has always been a feature of aircraft (of all airlines) including the HEPA filters even before COVID, thus the risk of any aircraft transmission of disease is very low. Lower than cruise ships and trains because of the unique design feature.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
AH, but a plane has proper airflow and ventilation and likely a mask mandate. I've been stuck in the CUN arrivals hall with poor air circulation for 2 hours in long, packed, lines like Disneyland, hot, muggy, no airflow, and I can't image mask enforcement is strong. I'll take a plane's filtering and air exchange and air flow over a convention hall room any day. If the wait in arrivals is short like this, then it makes me less concerned.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:41 am

Sadly i read a report from last week that made me very hesitant...

Apparently on a Saturday it's a zoo!

Hopefully they will reopen another terminal and that will help but right now based on the reports I have read I am hesitant which is why I asked about the VIP type service
abaheti likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.