Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I have a flight out of CUN this coming Tuesday (10/30) at 2 PM. On Delta terminal 3. The transfer service wants to pick me up at 11 which will get me there approximately 2.5 hours in advance. I have status on Delta so should not have a huge long line to check luggage... This seems like way too much time. I was thinking of pushing it to 11:30 which would still give me 2 hours. Any thoughts?
I’d take the 11:00 as offered. The airport can be a zoo at times, traffic can delay you.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Has anyone ever used any of the VIP arrival sites online to help expedite customs upon arrival? Looking for feedback...thanks
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theranj
Has anyone ever used any of the VIP arrival sites online to help expedite customs upon arrival? Looking for feedback...thanks
Nope at CUN, but yes in other airports ranging from MBJ to IST. They all seem to be similar, and they’re usually quite good.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Nope at CUN, but yes in other airports ranging from MBJ to IST. They all seem to be similar, and they’re usually quite good.
Used MBJ twice, great there, but haven't seen any "real" reviews for Cancun
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: free agent
I am likely to do mileage run trip to CUN and I’m wondering if it’s possible to do mobile check-in and show boarding pass from phone?

I will land CUN at 1:20 PM and debate if I should buy CUN-MIA ticket that depart at 440 PM. I plan to bring a carry on suitcase and can print out BP to avoid check-in hassles.

Last question - once I get out of customs area then where I should go next to head back to security & immigration area? I assume it’s in upper floor and there are signages all over airport but could be wrong
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I think you're asking how long you need? 3 hours should be fine, as long as your inbound plane isn't too late.
I don't think printing out your boarding pass makes a difference.
I think you will have clear customs and exit immigration, and then check in landside.
I think you have to check in at the counter, even if you are not checking a bag. My recollection is that they process an exit tag that you need to show at Passport control .
So, you have two lines: one to check in and one for psssport control and security screening. I have seen each be over 1 hour although I suspect this is not a peak departure time and the security line will not be long at this time, but I do not know. I have seen the security/passport line to be way down before the escalators into the departure lobby. As bad as I have seen anywhere. That was probably a late morning/early afternoon weekend departure.
I know you can't just want in with your boarding pass and go straight to security w your carry on bags.
In general, though, I think 3 hours is fine.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:13 am

Ah thanks for sharing your insights. Didn’t know about exit tag. Probably give myself 4+ hour buffer by booking CUN-DFW and it’ll be on Wednesday afternoon during September so it should be low season in Cancun but will check Mexican holiday calendar.

If i decide to stay for few days in CUN, which shared shuttle I should take? Is it true they will pick me up 3+ hour before CUN departure?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Ah thanks for sharing your insights. Didn’t know about exit tag. Probably give myself 4+ hour buffer by booking CUN-DFW and it’ll be on Wednesday afternoon during September so it should be low season in Cancun but will check Mexican holiday calendar.

If i decide to stay for few days in CUN, which shared shuttle I should take? Is it true they will pick me up 3+ hour before CUN departure?
September 16 is the anniversary of Mexican independence. Festivities begin the 15th, with the ceremonial “Grito De Independencia” (the shouted pronunciamento or call to arms announcement and church bell ringing by Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla early in the morning of 16 Sep 1810 in the town of Dolores, Hidalgo) at midnight the 15th. The Fiestas nacionales are a huge deal in Mexico.

(Cinco De Mayo, the celebration of the defeat of Napoleonic troops on the battlefields of Puebla 5 May 1862 is celebrated in M xico, but it’s actually a much bigger deal in the USA than in Mexico - and it’s not, as some believe, Mexico’s Independence Day.)

See Fiestas y tradiciones en México en Septiembre link
washeelers747 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 18, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
September 16 is the anniversary of Mexican independence. Festivities begin the 15th, with the ceremonial “Grito De Independencia” (the shouted pronunciamento or call to arms announcement and church bell ringing by Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla early in the morning of 16 Sep 1810 in the town of Dolores, Hidalgo) at midnight the 15th. The Fiestas nacionales are a huge deal in Mexico.

See Fiestas y tradiciones en México en Septiembre link
Thanks for sharing history facts on Mexico, and unfortunately, i should have checking dates first because I'm leaving on Mexican independence day. If I decide to book same-day turnaround, I'll be sure to give myself 4+ hours in case plenty of Immigration and Customs officers decide to not show up for work.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

(Free) Wifi available?

Curious if anyone knows if free wifi is available in the terminals?

I've got Boingo (via Amex Biz Platinum) and an international plan, but my in-laws are arriving about 20 minutes after us in a different terminal (We are arriving via DL, them on WN) and while we will have standing instructions that we will meet them at their baggage claim, figured if I can tell whem how to connect to Whatsapp/iMessage easily, could save some banging of my head on a wall/hard object.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was free wifi in Terminal 4 last weekend
levilevi likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by washeelers747

Last question - once I get out of customs area then where I should go next to head back to security & immigration area? I assume it’s in upper floor and there are signages all over airport but could be wrong
Each terminal may differ, but the arrivals and check ins are all on the ground level (at T4 you then go up an escalator to get to security).
Old May 2, 2019, 12:52 pm

Priority Pass Lounge Open in Terminal 4

Typing this from Mera Lounge @ Terminal 4. Nice, clean, and even healthy food - salads and such. Been open a few weeks, they said. Not the easiest to find, but delightful. Staff very attentive.
levilevi likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Has anyone personally seen/ used fhe lockers at CUN airport? Are they available in all terminal? can we store our stuffs for 6 days there? We’re flying from ORD to CUN to HAV before coming back to CUN and then JFK and would rather not carry our winter coats etc from CUN to HAV and back, so thought a locker would be great. But the info available on the net seems to be mixed.. would be great if someone can verify the info! TIA
Any update?
Looking to store my dive gear bag somewhere while doing a side-trip to MEX for 4 days...
Old May 14, 2019, 2:25 pm

Departing from CUN on December 14, my flight is at 8:35 am -- business/first on United, probably checking one bag. Hotel is supposed to be 30 minutes away. Is a 5:30 am pickup sufficient? It should leave me 2.5 hours in the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.