Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shimps1
Read something in a Hyatt Ziva review, curious if you guys think so as well....

Canada Transfers as opposed to USA Transfers for the trip from CUN to the hotel.... Reason being is Canada Transfers will allow you to order booze and have it waiting for you in the van.

Any reason to book with another company, or should I go with Canada Transfers? A couple beers on the 50 minute ride would be nice.
If you are staying at the adults only Turquoise Tower, for at least 4 nights, then it looks like they provide a free shuttle to/from the airport.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:38 am

First Class on United--separate security line at CUN?

I was wondering if there is a separate priority security line for those flying first/business on United in Cancun (for return)? I've heard the lines can be awful and with us traveling over xmas, I am considering going first class, but I didn't see Cancun on United's Priority Access locations.
Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Wiki says, "N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season."

Is this still the case? 2.5-3 hours for international flight on departure?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Wiki says, "N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season."

Is this still the case? 2.5-3 hours for international flight on departure?
Depends on date/time/season/airline/class of service - many variables.

If you have no checked baggage and can print boarding pass at home, then 1.5 hours should be sufficient.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by evanston45
I was wondering if there is a separate priority security line for those flying first/business on United in Cancun (for return)? I've heard the lines can be awful and with us traveling over xmas, I am considering going first class, but I didn't see Cancun on United's Priority Access locations.
Thanks!
I've never seen that, but I recommend inquiring on arrival.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
There are no priority lanes for security for first class passengers at CUN. We use the airline's priority lane for checking our bags and always check-in for our flight online as soon as it's possible. We get to the airport three hours early, and even during spring break have had plenty of time to get to our flight.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Ditto - never seen priority SECURITY lanes at CUN. However the lines usually move fast. The larger variable is the airline checkin line to check luggage and get boarding passes. Most airlines (including UA) have dedicated F lines but during peak periods that simply means waiting 30-60m instead of a longer wait. The wait time is the thing I hate most about visiting CUN.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:35 am

Any details about the new Terminal 4? I'm assuming Southwest is in there due to the A2/A6 gates being used by them yesterday in flight status. Anyone know if there is a VIP lounge in the terminal that will be joining PP soon?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
can't see a way to delete messages.... just going to blank this out.

Last edited by phedre; Nov 6, 2017 at 12:01 pm Reason: posted in wrong spot
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: JGC premier
Has anyone personally seen/ used fhe lockers at CUN airport? Are they available in all terminal? can we store our stuffs for 6 days there? We’re flying from ORD to CUN to HAV before coming back to CUN and then JFK and would rather not carry our winter coats etc from CUN to HAV and back, so thought a locker would be great. But the info available on the net seems to be mixed.. would be great if someone can verify the info! TIA
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Departing 5:50 p.m. tomorrow, UA F to SFO. I probably won't check a bag, but my wife might want to. Is 2:30 a safe time for us to arrive at CUN?

NARRATOR: It was.

Specifically, we were through check-in and security in 30 minutes after arriving at 4 p.m. (thanks, traffic!). And that included a detour for my mother-in-law to pay the $30 fine (cash only) for losing the bottom half of the tourist card.

Last edited by DCA writer; Dec 21, 2017 at 6:05 pm Reason: Updated to reflect our experience.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:31 pm

Does anyone know if the Priority Pass lounge is open yet? When I was there in early February 2018 it was closed for construction.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:14 am

I have a flight out of CUN this coming Tuesday (10/30) at 2 PM. On Delta terminal 3. The transfer service wants to pick me up at 11 which will get me there approximately 2.5 hours in advance. I have status on Delta so should not have a huge long line to check luggage... This seems like way too much time. I was thinking of pushing it to 11:30 which would still give me 2 hours. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I'd do that. Just make sure you don't push it close to 1 hour, as they shut off check in .

​​​​​​Also, there can be a long line for security, and no priority queue, so I'd allow up to an hour for that, without needing to politely cut the queue. On a good day, this could be as short as 10-15 mins at this time, but on a bad day, it can get ugly, starting all the way down before the stairs to the departure area. Save time for shopping for and tasting premium tequilla.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:54 am

11:30 should work as long as you don’t have car trouble or unexpected traffic. But why not go at 11. Most hotels/resorts make you check out by then. The airport is very pleasant. Lots of lunch choices and seating. There is a nice lounge there that you may have access to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.