Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ˇGracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 9:50 am

Both of your airlines are supposed to be operating at Terminal 3, so most likely you'll both be there. But it is possible that one of your arriving planes will leave one of you at Terminal 2, so I would suggest that you arrange to explicitly meet outside the arrivals hall of Terminal 3, because if one of you has to take a shuttle from Terminal 2 to 3, that person will not have access to any areas upstream of customs. The pick-up area outside the terminals will be crowded with van services, but there will also be a shack selling drinks and possibly snacks, if your companion is delayed and you have to wait a while.

One of the terminals has a large mall-like area inside, with food and such, and on occasion I have arrived and been directed straight into that area after exiting the plane, with immigration and customs after I find my way downstairs. But I would not count on being able to meet there, because in other cases, the jetway from the plane led directly to the immigration area, bypassing the mall-like area. However, if whichever of you arrives first finds himself in the mall-like area before immigration, that would be a more comfortable place to pass an hour or two. Just be aware that any checked baggage will be sitting in customs (after immigration), until you claim it.

As you and your companion are then traveling to the same hotel, you will probably want to book your shuttle/transfer transportation from the airport in the name of the latest-arriving person, and with their arrival information.

Finally, ensure that you both have the arriving flight information of the other, in case one of you gets re-routed because of weather or mechanical delays. It is possible that one of you may not arrive on the day intended, or may be delayed by 8-12 hours. So be sure you check the arrival information of your friend's scheduled flight, and realize that it may take 30-60 min to get through immigration and customs, depending upon how busy it is when you arrive. Although your cell phone may work in Cancun, I would not rely upon txt messages alone to transmit crucial information between you. Make a backup plan: I would suggest that if one of you finds that the other is substantially delayed, that the first person go ahead and go to the hotel, and just plan on meeting in the lobby.

If possible, add both of your names to the hotel reservation (by calling the hotel well in advance of travel) so that either of you may check-in without the other. At worst, one of you will have to wait a long time, but the hotel will be a more comfortable place to wait than the parking lot of the airport! Remember that you can leave messages for each other by calling your hotel, so ensure that both of you have your hotel address and phone number. (You will need to have the hotel name & address for immigration anyway.)

Last edited by TeaEarleGreyHot; May 10, 2012 at 10:03 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As noted above most arriving passengers are funneled into the immigration checkpoints, so you won't be able to meet in the nice gate area as you can at some European airports. Instead you will have to clear immigration, get your bag, clear customs and then exit to the sidewalk. So if you need to meet someone the best place is probably at the restaurant before departure security or even better at the bar shack just outside the terminal door. Most US phones charge 50 cents per text msg or 99 cents a minute, so maybe cheaper to call. All US phones work in Mexico provided you call your carrier beforehand to make sure you have international service.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Cancún International Airport website has this:

Meeting Places

The airport has four arrival gates: the domestic arrival gate or main building, terminal 2, termianl FBO and terminal 3. All of these terminals are just that, arrival terminals, and do not have any restaurants, bars or places where you can sit and wait for somebody else.

Now, the domestic arrival terminal and arrival terminal 2 are close together and you can walk from one terminal to the other. Arrival terminal FBO is a totally different building and too far to walk to the other three arrival terminals the same goes for terminal 3 however, there is a FREE trolley that will take you from terminal to terminal. This trolley IS NOT a scheduled trolley it waits until it gets full and then it goes to and from terminals.

The easiest way to wait for somebody that is arriving on a different flight is by waiting outside their arrival terminal. In other words, whomever arrives first has to wait or go and meet the other arriving passengers.

NEW -Outside arrival terminal 2 and arrival terminal 3, there is a waiting area/restaurant called the "Meeting Point". That is the best place to wait for an arrving passenger.
"Google es tu amigo"...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Booked them today for July 21 and 28, USD $70 between from CUN to Gran Puerto ferry terminal at Puerto Juarez. Pretty seamless online, so far. I'll let you know how it actually goes. (Was pretty seamless!)

Can+cun+Transfers.com (can't actually put the name or website in without autocensor killing it; just erase the "+" signs)
Website: http://bit.ly/1mYf26t (NOTE:I am using bitly because the webslite link is altered by the FT autocensor wthout the *)
a service of Servicios Turisticos Van, S.A. de C.V.
Avenida Tulum # 200 Suite 201. Cancun, Q. Roo. 77500. Mexico
Local phone #: 011 52 (998) 210 3317 - (998) 210 4094 - (998) 210 3774
Email: sales@cancun*transfers.com

Their service for van service to sites such as Chichén Itzá, Tulúm, etc. is http://www.van.travel

Both members of Associación Mexicana de Agencias de Viaje A.C., the Mexican association of travel agencies, est. 1945

Last edited by JDiver; May 22, 2014 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
OP here - thought I'd post back. We did end up using USA Transfers. Pretty much hassle free. Had a little trouble finding them when we landed in CUN just because there are SOOOOO many transfer companies and such all looking for people. Once we did, piece of cake.

Ride was comfortable and safe. Return pickup was at the hotel on time as well. Overall, a good experience. Much better than I had with the transfer company I used in Istanbul in which I thought I was actually going to get shot by a hoodlum (not an exaggeration) - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16871684-post13.html
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:58 am
Original Poster

"Shot by a hoodlum" is not on my list of desirable experiences.

Thanks for the scoop on USA Transfers; I will rate Cancun Transfers on our return.

Off topic, in IST we used primeclass CIP services for arrival (amazingly quick and easy!) and transfer on to our hotel.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
"Shot by a hoodlum" is not on my list of desirable experiences.

Thanks for the scoop on USA Transfers; I will rate Cancun Transfers on our return.

Off topic, in IST we used primeclass CIP services for arrival (amazingly quick and easy!) and transfer on to our hotel.
Yeah, wasn't on the top of my list either, but made for an interesting story

Also OT:
We used Primeclass for visa arrival service and departure service, but not transport (I remember their transport being relatively expensive). In the end, it all seemed like wasted money because the visa line was empty when we landed and we got put into this horrible little lounge when we departed because the main lounge was "full".
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
I'd used Best Day (www.bestday.com) for transfers from CUN; found them reliable.

OT, in IST I'd used Airport Shuttle (www.istanbulairportshuttle.com), they too were reliable
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

When we arrived at CUN on July 21, we passed through the arrivals area scrum and went outside, transited the taxi and pirate taxi touts as we crossed to the covered area where a number of tour and transfer agencies were awaiting passengers. We inquired as to Cancún Transfers and a chap asked us to wait and called up our vehicle, which arrived within minutes. Our driver spoke reasonable English, loaded our baggage and took us to the Puerto Juarez Ultramar terminal for Isla Mujeres. He looked at our voucher and gave us a printed receipt, as well as verifying our return arrangements and assuring we had contact numbers in case we needed to change anything.

For the return, we managed to get an earlier ferry out of Isla Mujeres (the 8:30 ferry, which departed 8:40 and takes 15 minutes to make the transit at 24 knots). Our van was parked outside the terminal, so as we arrived a half hour early we did not see anyone until at 9:25 a driver appeared with a sign with our last name. He loaded our baggage and ff we were to the airport in a large comfy van.

The transfer was pretty flawless and we did not have to work with the airport "taxi mafia" or the mob allowed to wait within the Ultramar terminal - not quite the "taxi mafia" but nonetheless some of them are hustlers (some gave been caught selling drugs recently).

I have to give the ^ to Cancún Transfers / Servicios Turísticos Van, S.A. de C.V. and recommend them as being serious and punctual - not always a given in Mexico - for transfers to hotels, nearby Riviera Maya, etc.

Booked them today for July 21 and 28, USD $70 between from CUN to Gran Puerto ferry terminal at Puerto Juarez. Pretty seamless online, so far. I'll let you know how it actually goes.

Can+cun+Transfers.com (can't actually put the name or website in without autocensor killing it; just erase the "+" signs)
Webiste: http://bit.ly/NrNSCs
a service of Servicios Turísticos Van, S.A. de C.V.
Avenida Tulum # 200 Suite 201. Cancun, Q. Roo. 77500. Mexico
Local phone #: 011 52 (998) 210 3317 - (998) 210 4094 - (998) 210 3774
Email: [email protected]

Their service for van service to sites such as Chichén Itzá, Tulúm, etc. is http://www.van.travel

Both members of Associación Mexicana de Agencias de Viaje A.C., the Mexican association of travel agencies, est. 1945
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Can anyone tell me what's the best way to pick someone up if I have a car? I seem to remember not being able to roll up to Arrivals like you can at US airports.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

My best recommendation is to find out which terminal your friend arrives in, park the car and wait for your friend to exit Aduana / customs (or terminal if they do not have to process customs).

Meeting Places

The airport has four arrival gates: the domestic arrival gate or main building, terminal 2, termianl FBO and terminal 3. All of these terminals are just that, arrival terminals, and do not have any restaurants, bars or places where you can sit and wait for somebody else.

Now, the domestic arrival terminal and arrival terminal 2 are close together and you can walk from one terminal to the other. Arrival terminal FBO is a totally different building and too far to walk to the other three arrival terminals the same goes for terminal 3 however, there is a FREE trolley that will take you from terminal to terminal. This trolley IS NOT a scheduled trolley it waits until it gets full and then it goes to and from terminals.

The easiest way to wait for somebody that is arriving on a different flight is by waiting outside their arrival terminal. In other words, whomever arrives first has to wait or go and meet the other arriving passengers.
NEW -Outside arrival terminal 2 and arrival terminal 3, there is a waiting area/restaurant called the "Meeting Point". That is the best place to wait for an arrving passenger. (sic)
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My best recommendation is to find out which terminal your friend arrives in, park the car and wait for your friend to exit Aduana / customs (or terminal if they do not have to process customs).
Thanks Jdiver! I've been reading your posts which are all very helpful.
I'm about to post a Q on the main forum -- hope you can answer that as well.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Cancun Airport - Immigration Delays and Checking in for Your Return Flight

This is an FYI regarding the Cancun airport. I arrived earlier this week at about 5:00 p.m. on a Wednesday. Upon arrival none of the escalators were on and the staircases into customs were flooded with people. Once you get down the stairs there were approximately 1,000 people waiting to clear immigration before picking up their bags. Long story short, it took me two hours to clear customs and it was all standing in line. Not sure if it was because of the approaching holiday, but it was a huge pain. The return yesterday again, took quite a long time. Make sure you allow at least two hours since there is no electronic check-in kiosks and you will be required to stand in-line to check your bag even if you have printed your boarding pass prior. This was Jet Blue, but the rest of the airlines seemed similar. Clearing security was pretty easy (better than the U.S.), but just a lot of inefficiency all around. However, the weather was fantastic!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Down here 12/08/2012, got in 1:45, cleared customs in 10 minutes, no problem, short ride to the Westin weathers great, they do love to sell the timeshare, but then Vegas love to sell the gambling, no one is twisting your arm...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

OK, more MODERATOR MEX MADNESS! I decided to work up a Cancún / CUN airport master thread, with so many using the airport and posting questions here.

ˇSalúd!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.