Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We have a 6:00pm (1800) flight on a Wednesday CUN/JFK before spring break. Would you suggest 2.5 hours for an AA non-status flyer?

dh
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
"before spring break" is very fluid in Cancun, as the college spring breaks begin much earlier than high schools, and MANY college students begin descending upon Cancun in early March. So, the specific date you are flying becomes relevant. Any time in March is busy, so two hours is a bare minimum for non-status flyers.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by madison8
Last Saturday I used a Delta eboarding pass at Cancun. I had carry on only and did online checkin via smartphone on shuttle to airport. Security had no problems with it but was paged at gate to view actual passport. Regular checkin kiosks were pretty backed up so just another option for those of us traveling light and minimize airport time.
Did the same thing yesterday. Lines for bag drop were long and my wife had paid for our checked bag on her ticket, so I went ahead with the carry-ons and got through security and got a seat and placed an order at Margaritaville. Once we were done and had a gate assignment I just went straight to the counter to have them check my passport.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:11 am

Anyone know what the rather large construction project going on there is for? Seems like at the least there is some taxi ways and something large enough to be a terminal, but just couldn't get a good view of it as its a good distance from terminal 3 and we took off going straight away.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dhammer53
We have a 6:00pm (1800) flight on a Wednesday CUN/JFK before spring break. Would you suggest 2.5 hours for an AA non-status flyer?

dh
On December 31 (a busy day), we waited > 30 minutes in the combined F/elite line for UA. Probably the worst UA station I have ever visited. The temptation is to blame this on local staff but we did not see any lines this bad at any of the other airlines including AA, DL, B6 or even Spirit! So this pretty clearly indicates that UA has insufficient staff to handle the volume, not to mention a slow computer system and perhaps some training issues.

I know it sounds overly conservative but I would allocate 1.5 hours for non-elite checkin at CUN if you are flying on a peak date. If you have extra time there are plenty of second-rate restaurants and bars to kill time. We know people who arrived 3 hours before their flights and missed them.

The issue is not the security lines (which move fast - maybe 10m is the longest I've seen) but checkin.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:43 pm

That echoes our experience on Delta Saturday. We got there 2 hours ahead (would have been 2.5 except for some issues with the resort staff getting the bill screwed up) and while we were OK, it seemed tighter than we would have liked due to long bag drop lines.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Update

Originally Posted by dhammer53
From the Hyatt Zilara to CUN, it was 20 - 25 minutes. Since this was a Wednesday in off-season, there were no lines at AA to check in 2 hours before our 5:55pm flight. We breezed through security.

Street to gate in under 10 minutes. YMMV.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
delta FC?

So, there is elite security for Delta First? And with expedited check in 2 hours airport arrival before flight time should be good even on a busy Saturday?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Cancun checkin/security lines on holidays

I'm flying back from cancun at 610 pm July 4. I'm curious if check in and security lines are better in the evening than the morning and afternoon.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

July 4 isn't a holiday in Mexico.

I have found Cancun to be unpredictable when it comes to check in lines, but have never had a long wait at security (5 mins max, even when the entire terminal seems like chaos of snaking lines for check in).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by emma69
July 4 isn't a holiday in Mexico.

I have found Cancun to be unpredictable when it comes to check in lines, but have never had a long wait at security (5 mins max, even when the entire terminal seems like chaos of snaking lines for check in).
It's a holiday in the US so I think a lot of Americans would be there over the weekend. Agreed regarding the security.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
July 4 is during a relatively high season, and ime the processing for outbound passengers can vary quite a bit.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:23 am

As was said earlier, check-in not security is the issue at CUN. Delta, as do most airlines, has an elite line for check-in. Problem is that everybody on Delta is elite. There are seat of the pants earned elites, credit card elites and paid ticket elites. On really busy days the elite line still moves faster than the other but not by much. My recommendation is to always reach CUN at least two hours before flight time (same for other international airports) and in high season (Christmas, New Years, spring breaks) two and a half if elite and three if not. There is a lounge in the international waiting area and plenty of seats and places to shop and eat. BTW even for non-elites two and a half hours early is enough but there are times where that is uncomfortably close. I always get to airport early. Annoys the wife, but once saved us.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:35 pm

When we were there, they were specifically keeping people out of the Sky Priority line at delta unless you were business or first class.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Agree with the others that check-in/bag drop is the bottleneck at CUN. After that security is usually a breeze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.