Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone used an ATM in Cancun's Terminal 4? Very scant information on the web, which surprises me, but I've seen a vague report that there might be a regular ATM in Departures at T4. but none in Arrivals. It's apparently possible to get from Arrivals to Departures, but it seems a bit confusing and may require getting by a security guard. For obvious reasons, I'd like to pick up some pesos before leaving the airport.
'
Old Nov 28, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
Has anyone used an ATM in Cancun's Terminal 4? Very scant information on the web, which surprises me, but I've seen a vague report that there might be a regular ATM in Departures at T4. but none in Arrivals. It's apparently possible to get from Arrivals to Departures, but it seems a bit confusing and may require getting by a security guard. For obvious reasons, I'd like to pick up some pesos before leaving the airport.
'
Would be good to know what the minimum ATM withdraw in Mexico is as well cheers!
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So just as I was about to leave Cancun's T4 at the Ground Transportation door (past the rental cars) I saw a lone HKSB ATM. I juar wanted a small amount of money, smaller bills preferred, so I entered 1950 pesos. The machine said there would be an 80 peso fee, which was OK with me because Schwab reimburses me for that. As a last step it asked me to confirm that I agreed to their "special" (terrible) exchange rate of about 18 pesos per dollar plus some other nonsense fee. I hit the decline button, but it dispensed the cash anyway. I think that was some sort of dynamic conversion option and, hopefully, I just get the normal conversion rate. I will see when the charge goes through (the machine also said it couldn't print a receipt). Very weird experience, hope it worked out OK!
Old Dec 1, 2022, 10:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by iahphx
As a last step it asked me to confirm that I agreed to their "special" (terrible) exchange rate of about 18 pesos per dollar plus some other nonsense fee. I hit the decline button, but it dispensed the cash anyway. I think that was some sort of dynamic conversion option and, hopefully, I just get the normal conversion rate. I will see when the charge goes through (the machine also said it couldn't print a receipt). Very weird experience, hope it worked out OK!
It's a common scam. I have encountered several such situations in Peru last month; I always declined the ATM's "convenient" conversion service.

Please refer to the following thread in the Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs Credit Card Programs forum:
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
Would be good to know what the minimum ATM withdraw in Mexico is as well cheers!
IIRC, 100 or 200 pesos depending on bank and location, but its been a year and I always just go for the "other amount" button.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Got to the airport around 1230pm... bit of a madhouse with folks returning home. Construction only added 5 min today compared to the horror stories earlier this week Arrived at the lounge 1pm in Terminal 3 - they had a sign saying 90min wait, and was told it was actually 3hrs. Not sure which was right, but found seats at our gate and decided to skip it.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:53 pm

Seems like construction is total crap shoot/ hit or miss.
Anyone have any insight into this?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:28 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Data points over the (late) holidays...arrived Jan 2 (T3), departed Jan 7.

Jan 2 was a madhouse ... arrivals hall was backed up to the back wall with little coordination, though we did eventually make it through the self-serve kiosks channel (to the left as you face the booths). As we were driving out of the airport toward PDC, there was a ton of inbound traffic on the airport road, though hard to tell while we were driving if it was bad enough that people were significantly delayed. There were also some northbound delays due to crashes on the highway from PDC.

The transfer company recommended leaving the hotel 4 hours before our flight to be safe (for a private transfer), we decided to go with 3 hours but I was a bit nervous having seen the traffic when we got in. As it turned out our trip up to the airport was smooth and we were at the terminal in 45 minutes, maybe less; check-in and security were also easy (though some for airlines, like Spirit, check-in looked a bit more chaotic). So, we got away with it, but I don't know what the right general advice would be on how early to head to the airport. I would probably be a bit more nervous if departing on "obvious" departure days like a Sunday, the end of a holiday weekend, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just double checking (wiki seems pretty old) - there’s still no expedited security (eg premier access, *G, etc) at CUN, right?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by getagb
Just double checking (wiki seems pretty old) - there’s still no expedited security (eg premier access, *G, etc) at CUN, right?
there wasn't last month at least, I think we were T3 (Air Canada)
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, JetBlue, AsiaMiles, KrisFlyer, Aeroplan, ANA, Virgin Atlantic, BA, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by getagb
Was there over New Years, leaving from Terminal 4 on a JetBlue flight. No expedited security, but the terminal looks newer than the other international terminals and quick line to get through security. Also there were VIP lounges on each end of Terminal 4.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by missjenjen610
Was there over New Years, leaving from Terminal 4 on a JetBlue flight. No expedited security, but the terminal looks newer than the other international terminals and quick line to get through security. Also there were VIP lounges on each end of Terminal 4.
Thanks, it was quite fast.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Haven't seen mention of this anywhere else, but there is a small Priority Pass lounge in Terminal 3 outside of security. It is at the end of the check-in desks across from the United Check in Area. It does not show in my Amex app for available lounges in CUN.

Has a small food menu and a full-ish bar available. The Chicken with Mole sauce was actually pretty good.

If you arrive really early because of traffic avoidance or early pickups, it is a nice place to kill a little time before going thru security.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, GE
First time flying out of Cancun. My flight out is at 11am from T3 on Easter Sunday (9 April). The transportation company at the resort is recommending pickup at 6am, 5 hours before departure. With kids in tow, thinking of pushing our resort departure time to 7am. Will this be an issue? I know getting there early in safer, but do I really need to head out 5 hours before? I am staying in Moon Palace, so about 7 miles from the airport.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: AMEX
Is end of April and early May considered as busy season in Cancun?
Do we need to arrive at the airport at least 3 hrs prior to departure ?

Thank you

Last edited by herowing; Apr 11, 2023 at 8:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.