Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 11, 18, 3:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.


Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 4 is expected to open in 2017.

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 4, 19, 2:31 am
  #181  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Posts: 559
Immigration Wait Times?

Morning all. Exciting to be returning to the Riviera Maya after 18 years... last trip was honeymoon, coming back now with wife and 3 kids!

I am arriving into Terminal 2 on a TUI flight from the UK. I've done the "Forma Migratoria Multiple" online for the family (1 each of course) and will have printouts of same with me.

Any data points or experience on the likely wait times at immigration? I've heard it can be a bit variable. Is there a special line for anyone who's done the form online or anything like that?

TIA

OB
OxfordBlue is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:16 pm
  #182  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Posts: 12,577
Immigration lines were long for our Saturday evening arrival - probably 30-60 min. The only Fast track is for ABTC card holders and that was 15min. Use search if you don’t know what that is.

That being said pleased to report that departure experience was stellar at least for UA. No trouble doing mobile checkin for BPs and then used a kiosk to print the luggage tag. Security line is maybe 5min.

alas there was a waiting list for the VIP lounge. 40 minutes at 3pm. However the food is vastly improved and now includes sandwiches sushi and a few other solid items. Too many PP cardholders now.

Did not seem to be pushing the secondary luggage checks at the gate today but that’s always been pretty random.
JDiver and levilevi like this.
Boraxo is offline  
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:22 am
  #183  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: YVR
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
...
alas there was a waiting list for the VIP lounge. 40 minutes at 3pm. However the food is vastly improved and now includes sandwiches sushi and a few other solid items. Too many PP cardholders now.
...
We (family of 4) were there on Dec 30th with a 5-min line to get in, and when we checked in it was a 25-minute wait. Came back 20 minutes later and were told it was a 35-min wait...once we told her we had checked in already they let us in no issues.
theranj is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:22 pm
  #184  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 720
We arrive that Saturday (1/4) at about 345/4pm to immigration queue.... lines were back to the escalators, snaking well passed the end of the ropes.... zooish for sure, but we were expecting this. They moved... maybe 40 mins or so (didn't mind as our youngest, a toddler, was napping in his stroller the whole time).

RE: VIP Biz lounge (Mera) - on departure (Thurs afternoon), no wait for us, relatively calm lounge ... had been a year since we were there (this wasn't open yet last visit, i dont think(, much nicer upgrade! (Terminal 4)
levilevi is offline  
Old Feb 1, 20, 11:45 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 45
So, I want to ask if anyone else thinks it is bizarre that they seem to discourage the use of the kiosks at immigration? They are all just sitting there and ready to use, but unless you ask to use them they ask you to stand in the line and use a paper immigration form. I just dont get it. I have been through three times since the kiosks arrived and it was the same each time. They only let me use them after insisting.
katycab is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 7:31 am
  #186  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
When do we have to be at Airport departure

Hi, flying out with turkish at 10.25 am.
Which Terminal is it and When do we have to be there for check in latest?
i asked around here in Tulum and some say 3 hours. Well that is a standard answer when u dont know...
anybody?
matore is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 3:22 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 45
Update on the immigration kiosks: When I arrived last month I asked if I could use them and a rep said "yes" so I went under the ropes to get to them. I was halfway through fingerprinting when another rep said I could not. I asked why since they clearly were working and he said "I was told we cannot use them". I asked why all the signs everywhere said "Choose between kiosks or in-person" and he said "They are all wrong" I just dont get it. They made a big deal about rolling out these kiosks and we cannot use them for no apparent reason.
katycab is offline  
Old Feb 27, 20, 3:07 am
  #188  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Posts: 559
Originally Posted by matore View Post
Hi, flying out with turkish at 10.25 am.
Which Terminal is it and When do we have to be there for check in latest?
i asked around here in Tulum and some say 3 hours. Well that is a standard answer when u dont know...
anybody?
If you're not in a premium cabin/don't have status, 3 hours is right. It is VERY busy and when I last used the airport in July, the non-premium queues were long. I don't think you'll be hanging around unduly if you get there 3 hours before.
Terminal information is unclear, unfortunately. There are at least two website claiming to be the "official" site and neither has relevant info. Your best bet is to call the airline.
OxfordBlue is offline  
Old Feb 27, 20, 3:09 am
  #189  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Posts: 559
Originally Posted by katycab View Post
Update on the immigration kiosks: When I arrived last month I asked if I could use them and a rep said "yes" so I went under the ropes to get to them. I was halfway through fingerprinting when another rep said I could not. I asked why since they clearly were working and he said "I was told we cannot use them". I asked why all the signs everywhere said "Choose between kiosks or in-person" and he said "They are all wrong" I just dont get it. They made a big deal about rolling out these kiosks and we cannot use them for no apparent reason.
Your experience is, sadly, not unique. When arriving last July, I headed for the kiosks, did all the paperwork for a family of 6, and then had to join the regular queue anyway - even though there looked to be a fast route for those who had used them. When I finally got to the immigration desk, I was told that it was pointless as I already had the tourist cards filled out.
OxfordBlue is offline  
Old Mar 1, 20, 7:02 am
  #190  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by OxfordBlue View Post
If you're not in a premium cabin/don't have status, 3 hours is right. It is VERY busy and when I last used the airport in July, the non-premium queues were long. I don't think you'll be hanging around unduly if you get there 3 hours before.
Terminal information is unclear, unfortunately. There are at least two website claiming to be the "official" site and neither has relevant info. Your best bet is to call the airline.
Thanks. I fly business with turkish,do i have fast Track at security then?
matore is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 6:15 pm
  #191  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by matore View Post
Thanks. I fly business with turkish,do i have fast Track at security then?
Did you travel recently? Wondering if any quicker transits due to COVID. Flying Y on AA next week
elkue is offline  
Old Jul 28, 20, 8:38 pm
  #192  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX / BUR
Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Posts: 1,183
Anyone fly into CUN during COVID? I'm curious about the wait times in the arrivals hall waiting for immigration -- that would make me uncomfortable if it takes as long as usual, with the crowd. Thanks
Boraxo likes this.
abaheti is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:26 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12
Mexico is now requiring a health questionnaire to enter.They won't even let you start the process to exit the airport on arrival without showing you've filled it out. Here is one of the signs they have up in the Cancun Airport.

I have read reports of travelers who knew this in advance filling out the form while waiting for their plane to finish boarding in the US so they can use their cell service here to avoid charges. Several said make sure you screen shot the confirmation you get when you complete the form to show at the Cancun Airport. WiFi at the airport is said to be completely overburdened with people trying to fill this thing out. If anyone can confirm you can fill it out in advance like that I'd be interested to know.
abaheti likes this.
TravelinGert is offline  
Old Aug 3, 20, 7:35 am
  #194  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OKC
Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Posts: 1,619
Originally Posted by abaheti View Post
Anyone fly into CUN during COVID? I'm curious about the wait times in the arrivals hall waiting for immigration -- that would make me uncomfortable if it takes as long as usual, with the crowd. Thanks
Yes - 2 weeks ago. It wasn't bad.. took about 15 minutes. Do it online in advance and print it out to speed things up. Most people were respecting social distancing.


Originally Posted by TravelinGert View Post
Mexico is now requiring a health questionnaire to enter.They won't even let you start the process to exit the airport on arrival without showing you've filled it out. Here is one of the signs they have up in the Cancun Airport.

I have read reports of travelers who knew this in advance filling out the form while waiting for their plane to finish boarding in the US so they can use their cell service here to avoid charges. Several said make sure you screen shot the confirmation you get when you complete the form to show at the Cancun Airport. WiFi at the airport is said to be completely overburdened with people trying to fill this thing out. If anyone can confirm you can fill it out in advance like that I'd be interested to know.
I found out about this form a day before I left - I think it was brand new at the time. I filled it out but going into Mexico, nobody cared. On the way out, you have to fill one out before you start the security process. Again, do it in advance on your cell and they'll scan the QR code when they scan your boarding pass. Otherwise, you'll have to stand around just before security with a bunch of people that are filling them out.


There were a few other key differences I noticed on this trip:
  • You'll likely fly in and out of T4, even if your airline was previously in a different terminal
  • You will have to walk past the infrared temperature camera stations when exiting customs as well as entering security.
  • Masks are required in the airport at all times
abaheti likes this.
bchandler02 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 20, 10:10 am
  #195  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX / BUR
Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Posts: 1,183
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Yes - 2 weeks ago. It wasn't bad.. took about 15 minutes. Do it online in advance and print it out to speed things up. Most people were respecting social distancing.
Thanks! So there was room for social distancing because so few people? I've been stuck in that line for 60-120 minutes before, muggy, poor air circulation, hundreds of people in the winding rope lines. I'm more concerned about something like that than the flight, frankly.
Boraxo likes this.
abaheti is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: