Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
INTL to DOM and return in MEX

We are flying AA to MEX then AM domestic. Looks like T1 for arrival and departure. What is the best route to do this (separate tickets but will have our boarding passes and no checked luggage)?

For the return we are arriving on domestic VIVA flight to T1 and then taking AA so all in the same terminal. Will have AA passes and also no checked bags. Suggestions for step by step would be very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by asnovici; Aug 13, 2023 at 4:16 pm
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici
We are flying AA to MEX then AM domestic. Looks like T1 for arrival and departure. What is the best route to do this (separate tickets but will have our boarding passes and no checked luggage)?
You'll clear immigration and customs, then exit, turn left, keep walking to domestic side of terminal on the same level, and clear security at any of the domestic checkpoints. (MEX T1 is one big area airside, so you can probably even use the international checkpoints on the departures level upstairs from international arrivals - the upside to that is that you'd be closer to most lounges).

For the return we are arriving on domestic VIVA flight to T1 and then taking AA so all in the same terminal. Will have AA passes and also no checked bags. Suggestions for step by step would be very helpful. Thank you.
That's just a walk from one gate to another - which can be long, as domestic flights can arrive at the single-digit gates and AA typically departs from the 29-36 wing.
asnovici likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:42 pm

Checked Bags - MEX Connection?

Hi.

I'm going YYZ-MEX-PVR, booked and ticketed on AM on a single ticket.

Will I need to collect checked bags and re-check them in MEX? Or will they be checked through from YYZ?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Has anyone ever successfully done a back-to-back at MEX, as I ask about in the following thread?

Back to back / quick turn in MEX on AA?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Here's one for the MEX experts.
I am being offered CDG-GRU with a 1.10h layover in Mex.
CDG-MEX operated by AF (lands in T1)
MEX-GRU operated by AM (departs from T2 I believe)
Will be all on one ticket, an AM ticket number.
I would want to check in baggage.
Flying in J.
If I miss the connection I imagine AM will have to reacccomodate me and compensate where appropriate under EU 261?
Did you end up making this connection? I am in a similar boat where I've booked a 1 hr 10m connection from T1 to T2 NRT-MEX on ANA MEX-ATL on DL and I'm starting to think I need a back up plan. Separate tickets, no checked bags, flying business.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dan9124
Did you end up making this connection? I am in a similar boat where I've booked a 1 hr 10m connection from T1 to T2 NRT-MEX on ANA MEX-ATL on DL and I'm starting to think I need a back up plan. Separate tickets, no checked bags, flying business.
You need more than one back up plan.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You need more than one back up plan.
have you attempted something similar? Or missed or made a connection on a longer layover? Anything helpful or just want to be snarky?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dan9124
have you attempted something similar? Or missed or made a connection on a longer layover? Anything helpful or just want to be snarky?
I have connected T2 to T2 (Int'l to Int'l)many times and I don't think I'd ever would have made a connection of under 75 minutes even on the same ticket with luggage checked through.
dan9124 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:24 am

I have connected T2 to T2 (Int'l to Int'l)many times and I don't think I'd ever would have made a connection of under 75 minutes even on the same ticket with luggage checked through.
Thanks - I’m planning to go for it and have a back up flight booked the next morning if I miss it. Will report back on how that goes! 🤞
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I see that MCT I/D at MEX is 2 hrs, but I am looking at an AM ticket from the US to PVR with a connection time of 1 hr 40 min. Is that doable? Solo traveler, no checked bags, and both flights in terminal 2.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I see that MCT I/D at MEX is 2 hrs, but I am looking at an AM ticket from the US to PVR with a connection time of 1 hr 40 min. Is that doable? Solo traveler, no checked bags, and both flights in terminal 2.

Thanks for any help or advice.
You'll probably make it. But don't expect much help from AM if you don't. (If I/D is 2 hours, how is AM selling you this? Or is it two reservations?)
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:16 pm

You'll probably make it. But don't expect much help from AM if you don't. (If I/D is 2 hours, how is AM selling you this? Or is it two reservations?)
2 hrs is what sabre shows as the standard at MEX. After searching thru airlines and connections forever, I found this:
AM-AM ID 1.15 TRM 2 - 2

That's why AM is selling that itinerary, but my first thought was also how can they sell an illegal connection?? It is a single ticket all on AM, bookable as a DL codeshare.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:38 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
What time is your arrival in MEX? If it is a mid-day if you should be fine. Early morning arrivals immigration tends to be jammed. Still doable, but you might be sweating it a bit. But T2 is relatively small, 10 minutes from one end to another, maybe 15 if you need to get all the way out to the new gates (81? 82? is the highest numbered gate.)
What I have found helpful is knowing the equipment for my connection and having the flightboard app.
For domestic flights, I hedge my bets and assume gate 75 (which is really a conglomeration of subgates) at the other end of the terminal. If your flight is an Embraer, gate 75 is almost a certainty. If it is a 737, there is a reasonable chance it will be a "normal" gate.
If you land and by the time you get through security to the departure area your gate is not shown on flightboard, head over to 75 and check there.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by RFNJ
What time is your arrival in MEX? If it is a mid-day if you should be fine. Early morning arrivals immigration tends to be jammed. Still doable, but you might be sweating it a bit. But T2 is relatively small, 10 minutes from one end to another, maybe 15 if you need to get all the way out to the new gates (81? 82? is the highest numbered gate.)
What I have found helpful is knowing the equipment for my connection and having the flightboard app.
For domestic flights, I hedge my bets and assume gate 75 (which is really a conglomeration of subgates) at the other end of the terminal. If your flight is an Embraer, gate 75 is almost a certainty. If it is a 737, there is a reasonable chance it will be a "normal" gate.
If you land and by the time you get through security to the departure area your gate is not shown on flightboard, head over to 75 and check there.
Both flights are mainline 737s. Routing is ORD-MEX-PVR, arriving T2 at 725pm and departing for PVR at 905pm.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
For me I have found that a busier time, I think the choke point is going to be at customs. But I am guessing you will get a "normal" gate (52-74) and will have about an hour and a bit to make it through, which should be doable. If your gate has a letter or a number 75 or higher, hustle, as that section can be confusing (several levels and sub gates).

I think you can do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.