Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by stevens397
Wondering how people feel about it and how they use it.

Thanks!
Welcome was nice - butler greeted us by name and showed us the room as we came off the elevator on the 17th floor. Service is good for pressing garments, bringing coffee/tea/papers in the morning, bringing other random things you might need. That's about it though. Wouldn't call it "invaluable"...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by stevens397
We are reserved for five nights in December. I read a review on their website and one of the reviewers said the Butler service was invaluable.

We recently completed our second cruise with Silversea. We had butler service but other than welcoming us, we really had no interaction other than saying hello when we passed. Our friends often had room service for breakfast that he served but that too was it.

Wondering how people feel about it and how they use it.

Thanks!
I stayed at the St. Regis NYC many times. the butler will great you by name and show you the way to your room. I think this is a nice touch but not necessary. the butler then will show you your room and describe some of the services they provide. basically pressing ( 2 items per stay), shoe shine, complementary tea/coffee in the morning, help in pack and unpack your stuff, bring some ice/water etc.. I always ask for the pressing and shoe shine service. I never asked for anything else.

nice hotel in a nice city ^
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
FWIW I stayed here two weeks ago that cost me nothing thanks to the NYC BRG promotion. It was only a single night and I can definitely feel the superior level of service that this hotel provided and would have definitely made me super-comfortable. I am usually a W kind of guy, and I was really hoping that I had a BRG success at a W rather than this St Regis but free is free and I'll happily take one for the team. The St Regis NYC is over my pay scale so it was nice to enjoy that 24 hours I was there and maybe in three decades time, when I am a bit more grey haired and a bit more wrinkly and when I have a bit more $$$ to casually spend, I might actually enjoy this place. That said, it feels like a wonderful hotel, I am sure there is a lot of history and many famous people have been through its doors. I have nothing but praise for this hotel from a service level, the Grande Luxe Room was extremely comfortable and I am happy that I got the chance to explore one of the historical hotels of NYC ...... on the house ^
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Really not impressed with this property. Building and rooms are dated, which I understand appeals to some folks, but I have not found it charming across a few visits.

Service was astoundingly bad for $850/night all-in. Nice that the butler shows up at your door a few minutes after you arrive, but this is more cosmetic than anything else. Complimentary shoe shine didn't even happen last time, this time they did a pretty unimpressive job. And while they got my shoes this time and picked up my breakfast order, the latter never showed up the following morning. Seriously? Had a colleague who had the same experience last week so not willing to write this off as a one time snafu. All I got from the front desk was an offer to make sure I wasn't charged for it -- oh well now isn't that generous as I head off to a day of business meetings. Pathetic.

This is all in addition to the fact that I was provided perhaps the worst room in the house (3rd floor, facing a dump of an internal vertical corridor). This bothers me less since, well, someone has to get it, but the service failures were astounding.

Boutiques...Mandarin...Four Seasons... excited about turning my business travel to nyc to you.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just completed a stay here and was pretty disappointed. For a category 7 property that is one of the flagship properties of the brand, I was really underwhelmed.

(1) Room was old--paint was chipping off of furniture, there were scuffs on the walls and the room smelled of cigarette smoke (despite being a non-smoking room). Obviously it was serviceable but it wasn't impressive at all.

(2) Poor quality electronics technology in the room. The phone was equipped with a touch screen that seemed like it had been designed by Microsoft in the late 90s. The phone line itself was filled with so much static that I had to go down to the front desk to place my breakfast order as the woman on the line couldn't understand me through the interference.

(3) Room was dark and poorly placed, looking out onto a really abysmal alleyway through a single window. I know not every room in the city can have a great view but when you're paying $700+ a night I think the bar should be a little higher than this.

(4) SPG website and a conversation with a platinum representative confirmed suite availability after I checked in but I was told that the hotel was completely sold out and thus wasn't upgraded. I didn't pull the same trick that I used at the W Lex (booking a suite for a friend and then catching the property in a lie) but I suspect that's what was going on.

(5) While the service was polite, it was slow. I waited an hour for a room service order that I was told would take 20-25 minutes (which is actually sort of inconvenient when one is in a hurry in the morning).

On balance, the stay wasn't horrific and these are definitely first world problems but when I pay that much money for a room I expect the experience to be amazing. This was slightly south of mediocre.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Ouch. It will be my first St Regis stay - hopefully not my last! The communication I have had in advance has been first rate. We'll see!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: CO, WN
We stayed four nights in June and, unfortunately, had similar experiences and left with the same impressions as platbrownguy, ACalvalierinCoach and 2ndTOTY. After the initial greeting and introduction to our room, we found the service to be unreliable and non-responsive. They ended up providing a decent compensation in terms of SPG points, but it left a sour taste regarding St. Regis properties (was our first experience) and with this property in particular. We won't be returning.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Wow, I've been wanting to try this property for awhile now, and I think I'm going to scratch it off my list. I'll probably try the Chatwal next time I'm in NYC then.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Talking New for the budget minded traveler The Bentley Suite!

Sounds pretty cool! Maybe things are looking up ?

http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/4...re-hotel-suite

Here's to the good old days when The St. Regis was 10,000 points per night
Who knew how good we had it?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:18 pm

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
SPG Platinum Perks?

We have 5 night stay in October. Are there Platinum perks? Lounge? Breakfast? Upgrades available? Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by milesaremymantra
We have 5 night stay in October. Are there Platinum perks? Lounge? Breakfast? Upgrades available? Thanks.
no lounge. you can select breakfast as plat amenity ( continental BF only). the best part is the upgrade. i have never missed a single suite upgrade at this property.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:46 pm

I see that Adour is shutting down.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:43 am

Have you been yet? Do let us know how it went.

I have a three night reservation in late November, which I am considering concelling based on this thread. The property's online reviews are distressingly 'hot & cold' as well.

For $1000+ per night, room service doesn't fail to appear, and a much self-touted butler service better be reliable... especially where there are so many other great options in NYC.

Cheers,
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:51 pm

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Flews
Have you been yet? Do let us know how it went.

I have a three night reservation in late November, which I am considering concelling based on this thread. The property's online reviews are distressingly 'hot & cold' as well.

For $1000+ per night, room service doesn't fail to appear, and a much self-touted butler service better be reliable... especially where there are so many other great options in NYC.

Cheers,
Just returned ahead of Hurricane Sandy. GREAT location. No upgrade - also told "completely sold out." We had requested two beds as our LA son joined us for 2 nights. "2 beds not available" AND we were charged $90+ for a roll away. They tried to charge for the continental BF, but when reminded it was platinum amenity they removed from bill. Room was nice, some furniture is showing age - one chair was worn through. Biggest disappointment was no mention of our special celebration

New York is a tough call. We used 130K points for the 5 nights! And not sure we received 130K in return. Yes it is the St. Regis, but something was missing. We've just about stayed in all the NY *woods and all seem well worn and "busy." Busy disinterested service. Definitely not a platinum welcome.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Just returned ahead of Hurricane Sandy. GREAT location. No upgrade - also told "completely sold out." We had requested two beds as our LA son joined us for 2 nights. "2 beds not available" AND we were charged $90+ for a roll away. They tried to charge for the continental BF, but when reminded it was platinum amenity they removed from bill. Room was nice, some furniture is showing age - one chair was worn through. Biggest disappointment was no mention of our special celebration

New York is a tough call. We used 130K points for the 5 nights! And not sure we received 130K in return. Yes it is the St. Regis, but something was missing. We've just about stayed in all the NY *woods and all seem well worn and "busy." Busy disinterested service. Definitely not a platinum welcome.
Given that this is in the master thread, it's probably going to be important to give this post some context for future readers over time. The above was posted during the heart of Hurricane Sandy, which by all accounts is turning out to be one of the most destructive events in New York City history. Easy to understand why the property would be 1) sold out as people are taking shelter and 2) perhaps the staff providing "busy disinterested service" have a few other things on their mind?!?!? I'll give them a pass this time around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.