Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Tips for the butler

Do you tip your butler every morning when he/she brings coffee, or do you tip at the beginning/end of the stay? What amount is considered correct for serving morning coffee at the St. Regis?
Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Butler questions/how to make best of remainder of stay

Just arrived at the St. Regis NYC for a 5 night points redemption stay after a 3 nights’ paid stay at the W Union Square. No recognition of Gold status at check in – I was given a dingy, underfurnished room on floor 7 at checkin, which I promptly refused, at which point they gave me a room on one of the highest floors with far more light.

I know I have no entitlement to an upgrade as a Gold, but surely they should have given me the nicest available room of the class I booked instead of the low floor with no light, let alone view?

Does anyone know if I’m entitled to butler service if staying on a points redemption? Thus far, I’ve yet to hear from the butler, and don’t want to commit some faux pax by asking around. How many free pressings/shoe shines is one typically entitled to per day?

On the plus side, my current room is well maintained, although I’m currently finding the experience rather underwhelming at present.

Any tips to follow for the rest of my stay?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
It shouldn't matter what type of payment you rendered and at 30K a night, to me that is more steep than cash so I'd expect the best treatment. What matters is if you are on a butler floor or not but I believe several of the top floors are - does your telephone have a special button for butler requests?. Call the front desk and merely ask if you are on a butler floor. Typically, immediately upon check in, your butler would have rang and introduced him/herself and asked if you needed anything, although since you changed rooms they might not have gotten notice of your arrival. Our butler (Marcus) was extremely accommodating and brought up milk and cookies for my daughter and even went and set up a dvd player with kids movies when he noticed there was a child in the room also. Pressed coffee and paper in the mornings was delivered like clockwork and assistance with shopping bags into the suite, almost like they are waiting for their floor's guests to arrive 'home'.

We didn't utilize the pressing or shoe shine service although I do recall that the meal at the hotel restaurant was actually very bad and way overpriced with hardly anyone else eating there - things may have changed in the last couple of years but I still wont eat there and there are so many other restaurants in NYC to sample close by.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EquityMind
Our butler (Marcus) was extremely accommodating and brought up milk and cookies for my daughter and even went and set up a dvd player with kids movies when he noticed there was a child in the room also. Pressed coffee and paper in the mornings was delivered like clockwork and assistance with shopping bags into the suite, almost like they are waiting for their floor's guests to arrive 'home'.
On both of my last two stays here in july,the butler service was fantastic.
I had a suit pressed in half an hour after arriving as we had a dinner appointment and were running late.
I really appreciated that.

I do recall that the meal at the hotel restaurant was actually very bad and way overpriced with hardly anyone else eating there - things may have changed in the last couple of years but I still wont eat there and there are so many other restaurants in NYC to sample close by.
I didn't have dinner there but I have to say that their French toast made with crushed cornflakes is so superb it is off the scale in terms of it's tastiness!
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:21 am

Seems like just a few months ago that I was typing on this thread, and I've just re-read my message and it was dated 2006. Anyway, have just booked the hotel again for a 5 day points stay straddling NYE, so looking forward to sampling its delights one more time (albeit at a very high points cost!). Only SPG Gold these days, so not so confident of the decent upgrade we received last time.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
St. Regis New York any reports?

I did a search and I must be doing something wrong. Comments on the Hotel and treatment of Plats appreciated. We will use our comp up to cat. 5 at Le Parker Meridien. I was then thinking about a treat for us with a move to the St. Regis. 30,000 pts is lots to drop for one night but we have a late flight out. The Le is $300 plus for the second night we need. Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I’d spend 12,000 and stay put at the Parker. I was just visiting a friend there last weekend and it is a nice hotel. I think the St Regis is far nicer (stayed many years ago however), but at 30,000 points it seems to me you would be setting yourself up for a disappointment. I mean if the front desk clerk looks at you the wrong way you might feel the service is bad (just based on high expectations, nothing to do with you personally). However, I guess you could walk over there and ask to see what they will give you for 30,000, see the room, and if you go WOW! Then go for it.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by schriste
. . . However, I guess you could walk over there and ask to see what they will give you for 30,000. . .
It is hard for me to imagine that I would get 30,000 points worth of satisfaction from a stay at the St. Regis New York -- at least how I value and use Starpoints. It's not as though you're going to end up in an over-water bungalow in Bora Bora.

On the other hand, I suppose, the St. Regis can't be getting too many point redemptions at this rate (no doubt the point), so perhaps a Platinum member would end up in a fabulous room or suite. But I think I'd find that out before laying out the 30K.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The night in particular that we are booked for is showing suites at spg.com. I thought most higher end hotels hold this inventory back for direct booking. I also have the Sheraton Hotel and Towers held for $169 but can not see spending as noted the $300 plus for the Le. So either my wife is going to get a really nice treat or we will be going down market. She knows how many points we have so up market will be on her mind. Of course I am not telling her about the point stay I am holding at the St. Regis.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum
My wife and i spent our 20th Anniversary at the St. Regis NY 3 months ago. We stayed 5 nights using points (5th night free).
I guess the best way to describe the experience was that we stayed at a first class hotel for a special occasion that we will treasure for the rest of our lives. An email ahead of time to the eButler and they had rose petals spread on the bed in the shape of a heart, Champagne on ice, a fruit plate and welcome card.
3 months have passed and while i miss the points, the fact that we went first class for a special occasion was absolutley the right decision for us.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:15 pm

For an extra 2500 points per night you can reserve a Grand Luxe Room (which I believe is two grades higher than the standard room). You have to call SPG since the website doesn't show this. The Grand Luxe Room has a small seating area and his/her sinks in the bathroom. Feels like a small suite. They may still upgrade you to an Astor or Madison if available.

I surprised my wife with the St. Regis last year at Christmas time (she thought we were at the W on Lexington). She still talks about it. Definitely worth the splurge at least once in your life. And you can't beat the location.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: AMEX MR, Diners USA,, Delta MM SM, USAir Plat, AAir Plat, HHonors, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gt0520a
Definitely worth the splurge at least once in your life. And you can't beat the location.
I stayed in the Le Meridien two weeks ago... had a junior suite with adjoining bedroom for ... its a nice property but not the SR.

Have stayed at the St Regis a couple of times...

IMO, there is no comparison in the two properties... The SR is head and shoulders above the Le Parker Meridien..
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Norton26
. . . The SR is head and shoulders above the Le Parker Meridien..
Much like the price of 30K Starpoints per night -- 'head and shoulders above' the 12K of the Meridien.

I would expect it to be about two-and-a-half times better.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: QF Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Staying at the St Regis at the moment, was upgraded from standard to Grande Deluxe. Was hoping for at least an Astor Suite but was told at check in that I was already upgraded two categories and if I wanted an Astor Suite it would be another $800 a night on top of the rate I am already paying. I said that they were only selling for $800 on spg.com this morning so why should I pay something like $1300.

Am a little disappointed as I thought with Platinum Status you were entitled to select suites and not just two categories upgrade!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:51 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Quick call the Platinum concierge if there are select suites on spg.com. Remember, they have to be available at time of check in, i.e. clean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.