Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Polite haggling at the front desk always works IMHO.
Sorry I meant in advance. I hate haggling in person.

FDW
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Sorry I meant in advance. I hate haggling in person.
Sure you can try calling or emailing the local onsite reservation team. However you have less leverage in advance. You have more leverage at check in if they haven't yet sold enough suites.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:53 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Sure you can try calling or emailing the local onsite reservation team. However you have less leverage in advance. You have more leverage at check in if they haven't yet sold enough suites.
I have an email in to them inquiring. Just curious if anyone out there has any experience and typical rates.

thanks
FDW
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
anyone have any experience with paid upgrades here? have a cash and points booking here (still debating whether it's a good deal as regular room rates start at $900) but would love a suite. Just a Gold here so willing to pay $$$ for a confirmed upgrade. Anyone? thanks!

FDW
If regular rates are $900, I'd say cash and points is an excellent deal. That's over 4 cents a point before you even factor in taxes.

Regarding paid upgrades, if they do allow it 8 out of 10 times they'll try to charge you the regular (non discounted) rate difference between the two rooms. That said, I have no experience at the SR New York, so that may or may not be something they are even willing to do. At check-in you'll likely get the same quote, but there is some additional room for negotiating and you may have received a minor upgrade already which would help to close the gap between the two rates.

One final point is that standard rooms at the SR are pretty large by New York standards, so not getting a suite here is certainly not the worst thing.

Last edited by spgplat21; Jan 23, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I have an email in to them inquiring. Just curious if anyone out there has any experience and typical rates.

thanks
FDW
I was recently (back in November) able to redeem 1,000 starpoints for a SPG50 certificate (50% off the rack rate). This allowed me to get a Deluxe Suite at around the same price of a Grand Deluxe Room. There may be blackout dates for the SPG50 rates. You will need to call Starwood and ask for the "SPG50" rate when booking.

Note: The St Regis also has a promotion where if you pay rack rate for one night, you get the second night at $4 on selected suites (up to 5th Avenue Suite category).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
I stayed here on NYE on points and they upgraded us from the base room to an Astor Suite as a Platinum. Was a nice surprise.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Any recent stay experiences from SPG plats?
Old May 12, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Stayed about a month ago and ended up in a 5th ave suite, but not without some urging. They were low occupancy so wanted to put me in a grand deluxe, I mentioned that our last stay we were upgraded to the 5th ave and I saw that the 5th ave was still available. Was told policy was to only upgrade to the "specialty" suites when full/high occupancy, and that no standard suites were available. It was 3pm, and I had to work until 7pm before a 9pm dinner, so I said I would wait for a suite if one was in housekeeping and would be available later. This did the trick, as several suites were occupied by 4pm checkout plats, so they sent me to the bar with drink tickets to wait. Long story short, by 8pm still no room and bartender asks what's going on. I said I was still waiting and he went to the front desk to inquire. Came back 5 minutes later with keys for 5th ave suite and apologies that they hadn't come by earlier when my standard suite was actually ready (apparently they forgot to inform me and then gave it to another guest).

Side note, we took breakfast amenity, ordered room service breakfast both days, comped with no issues (never even appeared on bill).
Old May 14, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Tipping

We are currently staying at the St Regis, our first time at this property. We have interacted with so many amazing staff members on our first day. Does anyone have guidelines for tipping? The bellhop who unloaded the car was different from the gentleman who brought the bags to the room. We have both butlers and the housekeeping staff and turn down service staff, and the lobby ambassidor. Do you tip each daily? Or at the end of the stay? Any help / advice would be appreciated.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Just had a great one-night stay here. We had two rooms, one upgraded to a Deluxe Suite and one to a Grande Luxe room. Both were spacious and well appointed (as expected!). Service was great, and I loved the historical feel of the hotel. We chose breakfast as the Plat amenity, which was the "American Breakfast" or a credit of that price if we wanted something else. They ended up applying it to both rooms, giving us 4 breakfast credits which was very generous.

Overall a great stay, hope to return soon!
Old May 27, 2017, 10:16 am

Does anybody have experience getting broadway tickets through the concierge at the StR New York?
Are they able to get good deals or is it pretty much standard price + service charge?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Free Agent
This is a perfectly adequate St. Regis in a desirable Manhattan location away from the Times Square hordes. Booked and received a Deluxe room for a weekend trip. Although my room was not ready when I arrived, I was promptly called when the room became available. The room itself is perfectly adequate and accurately depicted on the hotel’s website.

All the hotel staff I interacted with were quite friendly and helpful. Gym is open 24/7 and is well equipped. Ordered room service several times and the food was excellent. My only complaint was the WiFi speed – when there were no dropouts (which was quite often), the max download speed was 1.5Mpbs. I had to switch to a wired connection for my laptop, which got me speeds of 50Mbps.

Overall, this is a solid property, but nothing special – certainly nothing to justify this as Starwood’s flagship property. Room rates are high, but are on par with similar properties in the area. Still, I found the hotel to be marginal value for my money, but I guess that’s New York for you. I’ll definitely stay here next time, but if I had to sum up this property in one word, it would be “meh”.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Post Stay in one of their top suites if you can

While the general consensus for most people who may have stayed in the regular rooms at the St. Regis New York that it is "meh" or "nothing special", I would kind of agree. While their regular rooms are larger, clean and functional, I would not pay their published rates (unless it is a Virtuoso or Amex FHR rate from the Grand Deluxe category which would at least get me any upgrade to the Astor Suite category plus additional amenities such as free breakfast and a USD 100 food and beverage credit).

Tip: If booking a regular room (Superior, Deluxe, Grandluxe), always try to call SPG to see if there are any SPG50 rates available as they can be a rather good deal for this hotel.

Since I am not a Starwood Platinum member (I am more of a luxury traveller who splits my stays among various brands and as a result not have enough loyalty with any chain) who might get a suite upgrade each time they book at the lowest rate, my views may be biased for this forum. Has anyone ever got a top suite for being platinum or was it just a standard one bedroom suite?

I have visited New York many times and have stayed at various luxury properties. However, I have always wanted to try the St. Regis New York as it was on my to-do list.

What better way to try out this hotel then to stay in a suite there. Originally, I booked a 5th Ave suite via the Amex FHR program and thought it would be enough. However, having remembered perusing the hotel's website, I realized that they had what they call "Designer Suites" that are in the theme of the Milano, Christian Dior, Tiffany and Bentley.

As a male, I thought the Dior and Tiffany suites were a bit too feminine for me, so I chose the Bentley suite. The Milano suite was not considered as it was on a lower floor of the hotel.

Since I already had an Amex FHR reservation for a lower suite category, I was able to reach out to the hotel's sales department to have it "upgraded" to the Bentley Suite. I was offered a rate that was lower than their official rack rate and I accepted.

Note that they do not do any FHR complimentary space available upgrades beyond the Grand Suite category which are on the lower floors of the hotel (3-6th floor). If I remember, for Virtuoso, while you can get an upgrade at the time of booking, the highest category you can upgrade to is the Astor suite category.

The following is a video I took of the Bentley Suite during my stay:

Ever since my first stay at the St. Regis New York, I have returned a number of times staying in other room categories such as their Deluxe Suites and Grand Deluxe Rooms.

Last edited by daniellam; Jul 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm Reason: typos
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:02 pm

We booked a 3 night stay this past (HOT) weekend in NYC - via Luxury Privileges program (like FHR), so got 3rd night free, upgraded from Grand Lux (booked/paid) to Astor Suite confirmed AT BOOKING, and breakfast (room service American Breakfast included) and $100 credit - good deal for a confirmed suite and weekend in the city.

The service in the hotel was great - we were particularly impressed at the SPEED of the room service - each morning under 20 minutes from call to arrival. We've experienced this before, but their attention to us, bust most importantly my 2 year old daughter, was perfectly executed. Our butler, "Lobby," made such an impression each time the doorbell rang (room service each morning) she ran to the door saying "Lobby, lobby lobby!"

We moved suites after night 1 as it was obvious to me a neighbor was smoking. When I inquired at the front desk politely and not making a big deal about it, the staff was horrified, as if I had said a murder happened, and assured me they'd move our stuff for us seamlessly while we were out that morning... and they did.

One quibble: the car service/doormen. I get it - the hotel car isn't the main attraction, but its mentioned as a service within 10 blocks (and its either a Bentley or nicely appointed S500) and first come first served. We were with my small child and it was 1000 degrees, so even a ride cross-town to get a subway or dinner instead of walking was helpful -- except -- 3/4 times we asked to use the car, there was some confusion by the doormen - either my wife went inside and they gave the car to someone else or some "miscommunication" - not service at St Regis levels. Basically, they stood there and shrugged, and I took out my phone and got an Uber. I was left expecting...more I guess... I know I know, didnt ruin the stay or anything, but what is FT if not a place I can squabble like this

For us, this was a splurge, and we enjoyed it immensely.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by levilevi
I know I know, didnt ruin the stay or anything, but what is FT if not a place I can squabble like this

For us, this was a splurge, and we enjoyed it immensely.
I agree that house luxury car services can be a bit frustrating...but I'd always rather them be offered than not. It's always fun when it works out even if it's too rarely.

So glad to hear you enjoyed your splurge stay. It's always reassuring to hear how good the service is here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.