Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Hotels do NOT have your new SPG number. In order for the stays posted correctly and timely, you need to give the hotel your NEW SPG number at Check In. Make sure the folio now shows the NEW SPG number.
Originally Posted by Keyser
every hotel i have checked into since august 18th had my new spg number....4 of these reservations were made before the merger....
All of my SPG stays booked before Aug 18 but done after Aug 18 were either pure points stays or points + cash stays. I only have folios for the latter*, and those show my new SPG number, without me ever having given it to the hotel. The pure points stays were all at one hotel (where I also did not give my new SPG number). All of my SPG stays have been posting automatically (though at first with considerable delays, which seem to have been cured by now).

* The Download folios option under my SPG Activity is broken, it just redraws the Activity page instead of showing me a folio. So I can only see folios that I got on paper.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Post # 37.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...y-doing-3.html

I found post # 64 in that thread to be rather hilarious!
Thanks for the reminder. Just added the “0” issue to the list. ^
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by Happy
OMG. Those whose accounts are very old like yours, are those who suffer this nutty glitch.

No ETA on the fix is truly bad.

Very often what you see the 0's on the screen does not mean the system sees it. A lot of time the internal system lops off preceding 0's, happened with bank account numbers all the time because the bank systems usually have a very large field for account number so to accommodate their future needs as customer bases grow. But their systems probably do not have the "validation" step using a check value for the validity of the number. I learned about the preceding 0's often being lopped off was because our Chase accounts have like 4 or 5 zeros. When I filled out a deposit slip it was very annoying that I often missed one zero, leaving one empty box at the end of the account number field but the teller told me not to worry because the system "only cares about the actual numbers".
I know someone with a SSN with a leading zero when some systems that tried to truncate the number.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
My new merged Marriott number starts with a "0". I know that I've book at least one SPG property (Le Meridien Stuttgart) post merge. It was award reservation that I was finally able to book using the phone app. The reservation never is listed in "my trips", but I can find it by confirmation number.

When I look at the reservation, it has my Marriott number minus the first "0" and it won't let me make any changes.

I'll contact hotel a few days before arrival to make sure my platinum status is known.

By the way, my pre-merge Marriott number started with a "7", but Marriott forced me to change it and when I merged I didn't think to much about what number I wanted because both my SPG number and my Marriott numbers were new. So I guess random luck had me pick the wrong number.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xzh445

Thanks for the reminder. Just added the “0” issue to the list. ^
Is there a formal issue list? Where?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Congratulations on getting responses; my emails seem to have disappeared into a black hole. As to SPG nights and years qualifying for LTPP, is this as simple as them telling you that you do not qualify to be LTPP at this time? I thought that people in your situation are not expected to be LTPP until the end of the year sweep. (And, yes, it's annoying if that is the case and they cannot simply tell you so.)
At this point I simply asked that they confirm what shows on the SPG app, 10-plus Platinum years, but they do not seem able to do that. With responses like "this is not available" and "with information on hand you have not met the requirements with your SPG account" it is alarming that the number of years appears here and there, but not everywhere.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Is there a formal issue list? Where?
I would also like to see a formal issue list! status.marriott.com is useless.
Issue on my side: 10 SNA from this year's SPG Plat 50 Selection (before August) still don't show up.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: MYOB
The hits just keep on coming.
Was one of those people with the position: "I'm not gong to merge the two accounts until they get this mess sorted out" Then I thought further...The only thing in the Legacy Marriott account is 115 lifetime nights. Points are zeroed out. They haven't posted lifetime gold yet, but this is going away and surely (don't call me Shirley") they won't remove that when I combine from My SPG/Marriott account. Maybe it will be cleaner to just combine, and then I'll only have one thing to deal with. Took screenshots of both accounts from both Web and APP. Logged out of Both Accts...Web and App. Logged into SPG/MR account. Went through combine process...…Hit "combine. Logged out. Tried to log into old MR account - Got the notice "This has been combined to another account", (that's good). Logged in to SPG/MR account - Lifetime Gold - Nowhere to be found. Logged into APP - LT Gold is there. My suspicion is that when you are standing at the check in desk, that the LT Status they are looking at, is pulled from the source that WEB view uses. Which means you have to have your phone pulled out and begin "That" conversation (which is not the fault of the poor FD Agent).
Oh well. you can't make this stuff up. Truth is stranger than fiction. Haven't contacted the Research email yet. Was waiting for things to settle out. But, with this item, and now at > 25 Stays for the year, and not received Plat, its time to get in the queue...…….IF the email box isn't full.
Good thing I don't have any stays planned for the next 2 months..

Last edited by xzh445; Sep 24, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:50 pm

Quick response on normalizing name

in order to combine a family member’s account, I had to email research@spg copy of ID to remove some letters (full middle name v initial). This email went out last night. No response by email as of an hour ago but when I logged into the accounts, both names were now exactly the same. So they are reading emails but not responding to them.

Combined account and and all points, certs, and lifetime came over without a variance.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by myperks
Combined account and and all points, certs, and lifetime came over without a variance.
Well that is good news and tempting me to take the plunge.

Has anyone had any recent problems with reservations disappearing? I have 2 SPG rez that I don't want screwed up.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckendall
I know someone with a SSN with a leading zero when some systems that tried to truncate the number.
And probably it keeps telling you to enter a Valid 9 digits number...

Quite often when I log in some sites I just copy the account number but for whatever reason it often either got a space in the front of the digits or a space after the space albeit invisible. Then these sites used validity check with number of digits never fail to tell me "please enter a valid X digits number". It is a very common programming to "remind" people they may have entered a wrong number. But lopping off the 0 in the front can cause real problems as you said, and most likely the issue in Marriott's system not recognize one's account number.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Well that is good news and tempting me to take the plunge.

Has anyone had any recent problems with reservations disappearing? I have 2 SPG rez that I don't want screwed up.
Last night when I made some SPG reservations (I combined my accounts and kept the Marriott one last week, thankfully it went smoothly), as usual it brought me to SPG booking platform to book. After I finished it when I returned back to Marriott site - cannot directly from SPG booking platform, but I started a new Marriott home page with a new tab in the same browser - The count of My Trip at the top lost 2, so as when I went to My Trip directly from the tab, it lost 2 Marriott Point Advance bookings. However when I opened the side bar from my name, then went to My Trip from there - all was fine then.
Logged out and logged back in, all was fine.

So who knows how the 2 sides talk to each other. My guess is, as long as SPG hotels remain outside the Marriott booking engine, there WILL be issues on how the reservations show. But I believe you could still retrieve the reservation by the confirmation number.

On a related note, I now use a hand-written note to keep track of my reservations and the point movements because the activities do not always show up, but the point balance seems is updated and matched with my own records. Sad we have to do this to just stay on top of our accounts but better to take extra steps then have no idea on what the Marriott system has messed up our accounts.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyHighDude
Hi All - Do the combined points show up instantaneously after the merge like it says on the website or does it take 72 hours? I merged and am still able to log on separately with the 2 accounts showing their points accordingly. If I click the start merge again, it just brought me to the merge information page. It didn't pop up with the merge window again. I am questioning myself if I had done it correctly. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Having a similar problem. Went through the combine accounts process from the SPG page (and got assigned a new account number anyway... ) and got the message that it was done. But points still not combined and Marriott reservations not showing.
After 40 minutes holding for a rep, she suggests the website is just having problems and the accounts don't show combined from her end. We run through the process again, same issue, so now she just suggests to wait 24 hours to see if the system catches up.

Hmm...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Having a similar problem. Went through the combine accounts process from the SPG page (and got assigned a new account number anyway... ) and got the message that it was done. But points still not combined and Marriott reservations not showing.
After 40 minutes holding for a rep, she suggests the website is just having problems and the accounts don't show combined from her end. We run through the process again, same issue, so now she just suggests to wait 24 hours to see if the system catches up.

Hmm...
Did they issue a new number after you had already been assigned a number as part of the merger or just something different than your SPG from before the merger? Can you find the rez by confirmation number? What account info does it show?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My advice? Unless you absolutely need to combine for points for a rez or status, WAIT. There’s no rush. Wait till all the links are worked out. If you want to combine, take screen shots of separate accounts before you pull the trigger.
RogerD408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.