Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by X-ON
My humble conjecture is that the renewed MPG/SPG/MR years will officially all be added to the combined accounts in Jan/Feb 2018 as a eligible status year(s) for 2018, albeit credited officially in Jan or Feb 2019. Who after that had 10+ P years and 750+ LT nights in your combined accounts will be LT Tit or whatever it will be called ....Fingers crossed
The T&Cs back you up. Regardless of when the information is posted on the site, not giving you credit for/in 2018 violates the terms.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, the T&C can be changed at any time, without notice.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The T&Cs back you up. Regardless of when the information is posted on the site, not giving you credit for/in 2018 violates the terms.
Earning platinum this year should count for the 10 years in the total calculation.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, the T&C can be changed at any time, without notice.
Of course that is true but the terms in place when the member earned the status should still dictate what happens when the member hits the status. Marriott is unlikely to retroactively change the rules.

Again, there are two different issues. The member hit status. An IT glitch keeps the member's new status from showing up. The latter does not change the former. Even if the rules change in the future the member already fulfilled the requirements in force at the time.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Of course that is true but the terms in place when the member earned the status should still dictate what happens when the member hits the status. Marriott is unlikely to retroactively change the rules.

Again, there are two different issues. The member hit status. An IT glitch keeps the member's new status from showing up. The latter does not change the former. Even if the rules change in the future the member already fulfilled the requirements in force at the time.
Also after all the controversy following the initial announcement regarding lifetime status and the changes that followed, its doubtful that Marriott would tinker with the qualification requirements anytime soon.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:51 am

Great. Thanks everyone for the responses. We will find out in three months!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
Great. Thanks everyone for the responses. We will find out in three months!
Print the applicable section of the present T&Cs in case there is a future change requiring you need proof of the present rules.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I'm a SPG Platinum with 9 years of platinum and one year (this year...2018) to complete Lifetime Platinum. I will requalify for Platinum by next week on stays at Legacy Starwood properties. This should get me the final year for my Lifetime Status. I am concerned with all the postings in various threads that there will be no confirmation from the program that I will actually make Platinum this year since they currently cannot track based on stays! I guess that means I just need to "trust" Marriott will get this right and everyone who qualifies this year based on stays will be ok.

To complicate things even more, I should also qualify for Lifetime Platinum Premier because I will have a combined night total of 823 nights in the COMBINED program (628 with SPG and 195 with MR). Again...I guess like everyone else I just have to hold tight and wait.

Is there anything I can do to get confirmation once I requalify this year? Has anyone had any success with reaching out to the Lurkers to get confirmation?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by christianj
I'm a SPG Platinum with 9 years of platinum and one year (this year...2018) to complete Lifetime Platinum. I will requalify for Platinum by next week on stays at Legacy Starwood properties. This should get me the final year for my Lifetime Status. I am concerned with all the postings in various threads that there will be no confirmation from the program that I will actually make Platinum this year since they currently cannot track based on stays! I guess that means I just need to "trust" Marriott will get this right and everyone who qualifies this year based on stays will be ok.

To complicate things even more, I should also qualify for Lifetime Platinum Premier because I will have a combined night total of 823 nights in the COMBINED program (628 with SPG and 195 with MR). Again...I guess like everyone else I just have to hold tight and wait.

Is there anything I can do to get confirmation once I requalify this year? Has anyone had any success with reaching out to the Lurkers to get confirmation?
There is too much confusion as to what the rules are and what they will be that if anyone says you are good to go, that does not prevent them from saying that person was wrong. January, 2019, will be a major leap of faith that MPG will get it right. If they think the support lines are busy now, just wait until they claim the sweep has finished and everything is ok (like they say now). Get your screen shots now, keep checking your account, and take notes on any communications you might have. IF we're lucky you won't need it, but rest assured if you don't have it you will.
MSPeconomist and rny321 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
What I would do in your situation is to reach out to the lurkers after your 25th stay have posted. There are reports that you need some sort of manual intervention to get the year to count.
I would also recommend to get some sort of acknowledgement that MAR, email or otherwise, recognizes that you earned one SPG year utilizing the 25 stays SPG legacy rule during 2018.
Then you could always refer to this acknowledgement if your year fail to post as expected in Jan/Feb 2019. Just my 5 cents
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:32 pm
FT

Hope this ends up working out. I hit 50+ nights individually on SPG and Marriott for this year. My years didn't increment so I called and opened up a work order. I ended up merging the two accounts after my call. I show as PPE w/ 102 nights for this year (didn't hit $20k in spend), over 750 lifetime nights, and 8 years platinum status (which should get updated to 10). Biggest worry is it'll only show as 9 years come Feb '19 so work order should act as some kind of proof to make it correct. We'll see.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
There is too much confusion as to what the rules are and what they will be that if anyone says you are good to go, that does not prevent them from saying that person was wrong. January, 2019, will be a major leap of faith that MPG will get it right. If they think the support lines are busy now, just wait until they claim the sweep has finished and everything is ok (like they say now). Get your screen shots now, keep checking your account, and take notes on any communications you might have. IF we're lucky you won't need it, but rest assured if you don't have it you will.
I hope this is not as complicated as so many people are predicting and that the rules -- as modified after they were first announced -- for lifetime status qualification are objectively applied.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Just hit my 750 after my last official stay of the year. I have some family friends staying in my town this weekend and I booked the room, though will add their name. I am confident on the 750 nights. Before I merged accounts, I was at 9 years of Platinum and then it jumped up. I never earned Plat with SPG and only had ~ 35 nights with them so I'm not sure how that happened. I do recall being matched status one year but that was just one year. Either way, I did re-earn Plat (Premier) this year so I am hoping that will count as my 10th, although right now they are counting me at 12 so I guess I shouldn't worry since the ambassador said she spoke with IT and they were "confident" in my numbers.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bergamini
Just hit my 750 after my last official stay of the year. I have some family friends staying in my town this weekend and I booked the room, though will add their name. I am confident on the 750 nights. Before I merged accounts, I was at 9 years of Platinum and then it jumped up. I never earned Plat with SPG and only had ~ 35 nights with them so I'm not sure how that happened. I do recall being matched status one year but that was just one year. Either way, I did re-earn Plat (Premier) this year so I am hoping that will count as my 10th, although right now they are counting me at 12 so I guess I shouldn't worry since the ambassador said she spoke with IT and they were "confident" in my numbers.
Marriott is counting years matched from SPG and vice versa even though they weren’t supposed to. I wouldn’t count on those extra years staying in your account if/when their IT gets up to speed.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Marriott is counting years matched from SPG and vice versa even though they weren’t supposed to. I wouldn’t count on those extra years staying in your account if/when their IT gets up to speed.

I for one would be very surprised if MAR would start to augment the LT stats more than 5 months after senior management announced that system are stable and that LT stats are accurate. Especially the year count since the methodology to obtain the combined year count have been deemed propriety and will never be released to the public. From an IT perspective it would also be quite astonishing that more than 5 months after the senior management system stable announcement all combined accounts which was combined from linked accounts have yet to be signed off as accurate. That most be the a large proportion of the active accounts.
Remember that most people are not FTers and hence if they follow the instructions from MAR, read the system stable announcement, LT stats OK and then 6 months down the line a huge claw back ...for them out of the blue ... it would create a new dimension of a poorly managed merger ...if that happens its like MAR like pi**ing customes off in street funk tempo ...
But hey given the track record of this merger everything is possible .... after all this is MAR not GS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.