Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by konaflyer
I don't know if you'll see this since it's been over a year since your post. However, I thought the best snorkeling (very colorful reef and plenty of fish) I've ever done was at the Gilli Islands off of Lombock many years ago. This was probably because there were so few people there-- no vehicles and only beach shacks. We went for the day from Lombock, but once I saw the reef, I wished we were staying longer. The reef was just a few feet from the beach. I think it was equal to the snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef at Hayman Island. I don't know how the Gillis have fared with global warming that has been severely bleaching the Great Barrier Reef.
I’ve heard this. I almost went last year, then plans changed and I couldn’t make it, and now everything got kinda demolished in the quake ... so I guess I will have to wait a bit before I can go again. I look forward to trying it though!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Gili snorkling was good, but we found the Gilies in general to be a bit overrun these days. maybe we didn't have the best day weather-wise when we went, but i found the water to be a bit choppy for pleasant snorkling. We had a much better experience/snorkling at Gili Nanggu (and the surrounding islands) in the south of Lombok. Less ppl, more fish/coral, clearer and calmer waters.

As for the St Regis Maldives, the coral is def coming back (esp outside of the OW Sunset villas), but will prob take a few years to recover from the construction of the place. The fish/aquamarine life is still pretty good though; we found an abundance of interesting fish/reef sharks/sea turtles right outside the villa, which surpassed my expectations based on reviews on this thread. I would say if you are looking for perfectly healthy coral, the reefs around the property prob aren't going to do for you, but you'll see a great variety of fish and you can always take one of the coral garden trips (or give the reefs a few years to recover)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
... Hoping I can add one more night on the front end eventually (I find it somewhat strange a single Monday night is not available when the Sunday and Tuesday on either side both are). I know this is shoulder season, but going to spend 5 nights somewhere else in the Maldives and just keep fingers crossed over a total of 10 days we get our fair share of good weather. Europe based so it's a bit less of a commitment than those coming from the US (and to be honest, outside the Middle East, there's nowhere much closer with reliably good weather this time of year anyhow).
Successfully picked up the night before my 5th night free booking so I've now got a total of 6 nights here. To me that's the sweet spot for justifying all the other expense of getting and staying here (seaplane, food...etc). Happy that perseverance seems to have paid off given all the other Marriott issues over the past few months.

Now thinking I pick up a 4 night reservation with my Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit. Wondering if anyone has suggestions on somewhere with a lower cost round-trip transfer from Male (i.e. not a seaplane, but a reasonably priced boat ride). Considered the Sheraton Full Moon, but recent posts are VERY down on this resort given nearby construction and closure of the lounge. Any other ideas?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

I’ve heard this. I almost went last year, then plans changed and I couldn’t make it, and now everything got kinda demolished in the quake ... so I guess I will have to wait a bit before I can go again. I look forward to trying it though!
So sorry that you were affected by a quake. I do hope that you get to the Gillis one day.

I would like to ask your opinion about our upcoming stay in the Maldives. I wasn't able to book anything on points at the StR, but was able to book a weeklong stay in a water villa at the Conrad Maldives in March 3-10 on points (95K pts w one free night). I don't know if you think that it would be worth it to try to get a week at the StR on points instead. I realize that it would be a time-consuming feat if I could even pull it off. And, I would need to pay extra to get a villa upgraded. I am also locked into those dates because of our flights.

What is most important to me about a Maldives vacation is to have a water villa with an unobstructed view of the calm, turquoise water and the sunset with privacy (not to hear noise from neighboring villas). I would like to be able to enjoy a beautiful, white, soft sand beach that isn't crowded as well as wonderful snorkeling and hopefully, some area of a live coral reef. While the villas at the StR are magnificent, I was surprised to learn that the beach is manmade with a lot of broken coral fragments in it. I'm wondering if I should just stick with the Conrad since the beach looks amazing and the panoramas are magnificent even though the rooms look dated. They also have whale shark excursions, perhaps even involving swimming with them. Is that available at the StR too? I could get a week's stay at the W on points, but their ocean villas seem so densely packed along long walkways. Any input you could share (or anyone else reading this) would be really appreciated. BTW, I am Plat with SPG and Diamond with Hilton.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Successfully picked up the night before my 5th night free booking so I've now got a total of 6 nights here. To me that's the sweet spot for justifying all the other expense of getting and staying here (seaplane, food...etc). Happy that perseverance seems to have paid off given all the other Marriott issues over the past few months.

Now thinking I pick up a 4 night reservation with my Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit. Wondering if anyone has suggestions on somewhere with a lower cost round-trip transfer from Male (i.e. not a seaplane, but a reasonably priced boat ride). Considered the Sheraton Full Moon, but recent posts are VERY down on this resort given nearby construction and closure of the lounge. Any other ideas?
The Gilli Lankanfushi, Taj Exotica are some pretty good options from what I have heard.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: IC SpAmb, SPG/Marr Plat, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Looks like Plats can now get 20% off from The Whale Bar! Hopefully more restaurants will continue to be added before my July stay next year. Is this a good option for lunch/snacks?

https://marriottmembersdinemore.com/
kkl, beastieb, Ksw299 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't know how to separate the quotes but I actually got AN ADDITIONAL breakfast (3 people) that wasn't originally given (2 is with my status).

You are right, I do not know how the butler system works at St Regis. This is just my impression. He could have been very good at spinning the situation. And I don't think that the butler has final say over upgrades, etc. I think he inquires and tries to make it happen (and my guy SEEMED proactive and also seemed to intuitively know what we wanted, which included little things not just big likes like upgrades).

Also, it seemed like we didn't HAVE TO move to the upgraded villa if we didn't want to. It was a question. (We accepted but I almost didn't because I didn't want to deal with moving. It is a much nicer villa though.) We were also there over the highest season, Christmas/New Year's.

Also, we didn't tip until check out, so it's not like he knew how much we were going to tip.

Everything I said was not an endorsement of over tipping your butler so it comes off like a bribe. It was my impression, and still remains my impression that the butlers at the St Regis Maldives are excellent, much better than the customer service agents who were quite difficult to interact with prior to my stay. For this, I do recommend tipping and I do think they expect a tip (I saw other people tipping their butlers as well).

In conclusion, I find the customer service of this hotel to be MUCH BETTER when you are on property than beforehand, i.e. if you reach out to reservations or customer service about anything prior to your stay. This is my opinion.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I was referring to the resort forcing you to upgrade all of your stay, not just part of your stay.

Perhaps in sub-par properties and in other parts of the world where service industry workers in direct contact with guests are unmotivated, untrained and lazy. At this property this needs to be re-phrased to: The butler is supposed to, and is responsible for, making your stay comfortable.

You got free breakfast because your status entitled you to it.

You were very lucky and there was a higher category room free for the duration of your stay or they overbooked your villa category and you got bumped. Don't fool yourself by thinking that a butler has the final say on whether a guest gets an upgrade or not. All he can do is recommend. And don't you think the reservations department know that a butler has been tipped big when he says "Upgrade Mr. & Mr.s X" without providing a reason such as for the purpose of service recovery?

As I have mentioned, this is the Maldives and if a butler at a property such as this is not performing to the brand standard, he or she will be reprimanded and given a warning.

Why not just buy the snacks yourself instead of paying 10x more for them with practically the same result. Remember, the 10% service charge is your tip....and that 10% makes up a huge portion of their salary, usually more than 50%.

I get the feeling in this thread that people feel the more money they throw at butlers the more they are going to get. While that may be true, what they fail to realize is that they are getting 10c on the dollar. "Wow, I tipped the butler a hundred bucks and I got some fruit, chocolates and I got a couple of soft toys for my kids. All stuff that the next villa down the way didn't get! Awesome to be treated like a VIP!!"
Cost analysis:
2x toys made in China worth 50c each, cost to import $1 ea., value: $2
Chocolates made in the kitchen, value $3
Fruits grown on a nearby island, value: $5
Not smart in the least but, as the saying goes, different strokes for different people.....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
Do you (or does anyone else) know if it is possible to book one day at a time with points as each day becomes available and then call once all 5 nights are booked to have the booking converted to a rate with the 5th night free? Alternatively, is it possible to book a non-prepaid cash rate GV and then have that converted to points w/ 5th night free?
i had trouble getting 5 nights in 1 booking even though all 5 nights were available on points. Ended up booking 4 nights together and 1 separate. The call center rep then emailed the resort to ask them to combine the reservations and refund the 60k points. The resort responded back within a day taking care of combining the reservations.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashap
i had trouble getting 5 nights in 1 booking even though all 5 nights were available on points. Ended up booking 4 nights together and 1 separate. The call center rep then emailed the resort to ask them to combine the reservations and refund the 60k points. The resort responded back within a day taking care of combining the reservations.

I wish I knew I can combine reservations and get a refund. Good job. I can find reasonable availability in all months if you are flexible with dates though.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Sorry in advance to cross-post - but wondering what's the latest with Zika in the Maldives. I see there are still some amazing redemptions available for the next few months and may want to take advantage if possible. But not sure if it's worth the risk. I've found conflicting info online so I'm wondering what the latest scoop is. Thanks all. Also posted this question in the W master thread but this StR thread is much more active it seems!
Sadly Zika is still a real risk in the Maldives - the guideline of not going within 6months of planning a pregnancy is just a "best-guess", most in infectious diseases would say give it a full year after travelling to zika-risk areas...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:40 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by silverferrari
Looks like Plats can now get 20% off from The Whale Bar! Hopefully more restaurants will continue to be added before my July stay next year. Is this a good option for lunch/snacks?

https://marriottmembersdinemore.com/
Thanks! I have emailed to double check as I will be at the property next week

Hopefully more be added asap
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:19 am

Hello Everyone,

I am unable to find information with regards to tipping etiquette.
What is the general tip rule for the Butler, Room/House Keeping, and Restaurant Staff?
Do I need to tip? If there is tipping, what is the reasonable amount for the Butler or Housekeeper and etc.
I am not familiar with the Maldives tipping etiquette or protocol as my upcoming trip will be my first trip to Madives and St Regis resort.

On another note, the following are the upgraded costs for each room type in October 2019.Please be advised that for your reservation with us from 08th to 13th October 2018 for a Garden Villa with Pool, the upgrade supplements are the same as previously quoted in my email:·Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 369.60 per night ·Beach Villa with Pool at USD 492.80 per night ·Sunset Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 492.80 per night ·Overwater St. Regis Suite with Pool at USD 739.20 per night The above prices are inclusive of 23.2% service charge and goods and services tax.

Thank you

Alex
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by kkl

Thanks! I have emailed to double check as I will be at the property next week

Hopefully more be added asap
Please let us know the resort's response!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:10 am

How does the St Regis compare to the W maldives?
Going to try to do the 60K point redemption and hope I can get a room!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:34 am
kkl

Sunny greetings from the best address in the Maldives.

Thank you very much for your email.

Please be advised that The St. Regis Maldives does not participate in the Members Dine More program and Whale Bar is showing on Members Dine More website due to a technical glitch. We are coordinating with Marriott International to have the matter resolved and the website updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.