Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:22 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jeanie
So my theory is that many people from SPG want LTPP because it is something the Marriott Rewards people can have that they can't.
I suspect most SPG LT Plats wouldn’t care much at all except for their reasonable assumption that Plat Premiers (Plat75) will get priority for suite upgrades over regular Plats (Plat50).

Considering that Marriott LT Plats had no guaranteed suite upgrade benefit at all until this new program was announced, while SPG LT Plats had the guaranteed suite upgrade benefit all along, it seems reasonable that SPG LT Plats wouldn’t get lower suite upgrade priority behind Marriott LT Plats.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I suspect most SPG LT Plats wouldn’t care much at all except for their reasonable assumption that Plat Premiers (Plat75) will get priority for suite upgrades over regular Plats (Plat50).

Considering that Marriott LT Plats had no guaranteed suite upgrade benefit at all until this new program was announced, while SPG LT Plats had the guaranteed suite upgrade benefit all along, it seems reasonable that SPG LT Plats wouldn’t get lower suite upgrade priority behind Marriott LT Plats.
Since the tier name is now different (plt and plt premier)I guess it will be easier for fdc to differentiate upgrade priority between the two tiers.
But then the wording is exactly the same so by definition, the priority should be equal. (need the proper t&c)

Talking about guaranteed suite upgrade benefit ..... I think new program wording (no t&c yet so it might be change in the future) is less demanding than SPG wording
SPG : An upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite
New Program : Enhanced Room Upgrade. Based on Availability. Including Select Suites

SPG wording is more demanding. Hotel must upgrade members to standard suite if available if not then check if the cat below suite available and so on (best available room)
While new program wording is more lenient as any upgrade is already satisfy the condition, and hotel can upgrade up to select suites if they choose to.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
If I stay 50 nights combined Starwood and Marriott in calendar year 2018, will that give me platinum50 for the following year, or just gold?

also, will that expire January 31 2020 or February 28 2020?

thank you

There's no way to explain simply by using status names you know today. Platinum50 by that name will cease to exist come August. Gold at Marriott now and Gold at SPG now are different, and Gold at the merged program (come August) will be yet different again.

So 50 combined nights will get you what would be called Marriott Gold now, but will be renamed to new-program Platinum in August (and into 2019). But the benefits are changing as well as the names changing, so it's a not a simple answer. Either educate yourself by reading the dozens of pages that Marriott and SPG have published, or if you don't want to read that much, just wait until the fall and maybe it'll be clearer by then what exactly you'll get with 50 nights in 2018.

And also, it has not been announced what the status expiration month will be for the new program. So again you have to wait to find that out. All we can say right now is it that it'll be good until "early" 2020.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Since the tier name is now different (plt and plt premier)I guess it will be easier for fdc to differentiate upgrade priority between the two tiers.
But then the wording is exactly the same so by definition, the priority should be equal. (need the proper t&c)
Agreed. But until the T&C are release, the LT SPG Plats understandably are assuming that their LT Plat status gives them lower upgrade priority than LT Plat Premiers. Hence the noise. If it turns it there is no difference in upgrade priority, then it won’t really matter.

Talking about guaranteed suite upgrade benefit ..... I think new program wording (no t&c yet so it might be change in the future) is less demanding than SPG wording
SPG : An upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite
New Program : Enhanced Room Upgrade. Based on Availability. Including Select Suites

SPG wording is more demanding. Hotel must upgrade members to standard suite if available if not then check if the cat below suite available and so on (best available room)
While new program wording is more lenient as any upgrade is already satisfy the condition, and hotel can upgrade up to select suites if they choose to.
I don’t read the new Marriott wording as any less demanding than SPG wording. The only difference will be how standard is differentiated (if at all) from select. Otherwise, the wording stipulates the exact same upgrade guarantee based on availability to the best room—including standard/select suites.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 30, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'd rather have Ritz-Carlton lounge access or a guaranteed suite than having access to my room for a couple hours past the 4 pm late checkout.
Forget the RC Lounge access but I totally agree with the rest of you comment.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Despite a lot of speculation it appears Marriott isn't making changes to Rewarding Events, at least as of August 1. I've reached to to a half-dozen contacts at both Marriott corporate sales and individual Marriott properties. Nobody knew anything until, finally, someone reached out to someone in corporate. Here what Marriott had to say:

"At this time no details have been released in regards to Rewarding Events besides what is available on Members.Marriott.com. Once corporate is ready to share this information all properties will be notified. Until then, no details have been or are being released. Rest assured support teams as well as properties will receive updates in the next couple of months as soon as the information is ready to be released. Unfortunately, this is not information that we know at this time."
Old May 1, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Despite a lot of speculation it appears Marriott isn't making changes to Rewarding Events, at least as of August 1. I've reached to to a half-dozen contacts at both Marriott corporate sales and individual Marriott properties. Nobody knew anything until, finally, someone reached out to someone in corporate. Here what Marriott had to say:

"At this time no details have been released in regards to Rewarding Events besides what is available on Members.Marriott.com. Once corporate is ready to share this information all properties will be notified. Until then, no details have been or are being released. Rest assured support teams as well as properties will receive updates in the next couple of months as soon as the information is ready to be released. Unfortunately, this is not information that we know at this time."
If one needs the nights then I would still hold the meetings before aug 1, if no details are released before then one cant really rely on things staying as is. But I would assume on a larger scale this has worked out well for Marriott so why would they need to change it? You can only get lifetime "platinum" from now on and using this meeting method certainly won't help with getting AMBASSADOR eithet so while a few people might do 8 meetings just for status those people im sure are a relatively small group.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Points 1,969,888

30,112 points shy from lifetime plat. hmmm.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
Points 1,969,888

30,112 points shy from lifetime plat. hmmm.
If you don't expect to earn enough points to cross this year (the last year you can earn this lifetime status), you can buy up to 50k points.

Or see here for more ideas:

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!
Old May 1, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
What's up w/ the Marriott Platinum phone reservations number??? Was told it's temporary- temporarily annoying! Hope they get direct dial to agent after entry of MR #.....
Old May 1, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kauppias
You can only get lifetime "platinum" from now on and using this meeting method certainly won't help with getting AMBASSADOR eithet so while a few people might do 8 meetings just for status those people im sure are a relatively small group.
I'm not sure about that, as Marriott hasn't clarified what spending will count towards the threshold for platinum premier ambassador. I do $200,000-plus a year in events with Marriott. I'd expect my $200,000 to count since it's gotten me platinum premier under the present program.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:47 pm

any info on the "peak" & "off-peak" periods for HK, CHINA, JAPAN, TAIWAN regions?
Old May 1, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
I apologize if this had been answered somewhere already, but i am confused on a very important issue. The Marriott Twitter team can't (or doesn't want) to answer my very simple and straightforward question, every time just providing me with a link to their new members.marriott.com page.

So, the question is: does the status that we are going to get in August 2018 in the combined program, depend on the current member's status, or on the "temporary" status achieved from January 1st to July 31st, 2018?

Here's why i am confused. I am Platinum in both programs (originally MR Platinum, then matched to SPG Platinum). The status is valid thru early 2019. At first, it had been my understanding that in August i will be matched to Platinum.

The Marriott Twitter team, however, told me that i am currently SPG Gold => Marriott Gold => but since i am originally SPG Gold, i will be matched to Gold in August. ???

This led me to thinking that they judge not based on current status (which is Platinum), but on the status i have been able to re-qualify so far in 2018. This is indeed SPG Gold (i have 19 stays in 2018).

Once again sorry, but either i am misunderstanding something very simple, or Marriott "forgot" to put emphasis on this very important aspect. If it's true, Marriott is basically stealing our 5 months of hard-earner status.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by igor82j
I apologize if this had been answered somewhere already, but i am confused on a very important issue.
A Starwood rep answered a similar question a few hours ago on the Starwood thread. Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August, see Post 880. Because he only posted there I do not feel comfortable cutting and pasting the answer here.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by igor82j
I apologize if this had been answered somewhere already, but i am confused on a very important issue. The Marriott Twitter team can't (or doesn't want) to answer my very simple and straightforward question, every time just providing me with a link to their new members.marriott.com page.

So, the question is: does the status that we are going to get in August 2018 in the combined program, depend on the current member's status, or on the "temporary" status achieved from January 1st to July 31st, 2018?

Here's why i am confused. I am Platinum in both programs (originally MR Platinum, then matched to SPG Platinum). The status is valid thru early 2019. At first, it had been my understanding that in August i will be matched to Platinum.

The Marriott Twitter team, however, told me that i am currently SPG Gold => Marriott Gold => but since i am originally SPG Gold, i will be matched to Gold in August. ???

This led me to thinking that they judge not based on current status (which is Platinum), but on the status i have been able to re-qualify so far in 2018. This is indeed SPG Gold (i have 19 stays in 2018).

Once again sorry, but either i am misunderstanding something very simple, or Marriott "forgot" to put emphasis on this very important aspect. If it's true, Marriott is basically stealing our 5 months of hard-earner status.
I was under the assumption that if you earned Marriott Platinum with 75 stays last year, you will become Platinum Premier in August -- which is essentially the old Platinum. Is that your situation or did you get your Marriott status through an SPG status match?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.