Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My understanding is that any time between August and the end of 2018, you can qualify based on either the old separate programs or the new combined program. It is unclear how you pick which qualification you’d use, but the only logical choices are “you automatically get whichever is higher” or “you pick if you want to switch to the new combined program by manually merging your accounts.”

If you have earned Marriott Platinum then I don’t see a downgrade to Gold as a possible outcome for you. Although I obviously am not in a position to guarantee it, it just wouldn’t make any sense and would violate everything we know about the spirit of this transition.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by igor82j
I apologize if this had been answered somewhere already, but i am confused on a very important issue. The Marriott Twitter team can't (or doesn't want) to answer my very simple and straightforward question, every time just providing me with a link to their new members.marriott.com page.

So, the question is: does the status that we are going to get in August 2018 in the combined program, depend on the current member's status, or on the "temporary" status achieved from January 1st to July 31st, 2018?

Here's why i am confused. I am Platinum in both programs (originally MR Platinum, then matched to SPG Platinum). The status is valid thru early 2019. At first, it had been my understanding that in August i will be matched to Platinum.

The Marriott Twitter team, however, told me that i am currently SPG Gold => Marriott Gold => but since i am originally SPG Gold, i will be matched to Gold in August. ???

This led me to thinking that they judge not based on current status (which is Platinum), but on the status i have been able to re-qualify so far in 2018. This is indeed SPG Gold (i have 19 stays in 2018).

Once again sorry, but either i am misunderstanding something very simple, or Marriott "forgot" to put emphasis on this very important aspect. If it's true, Marriott is basically stealing our 5 months of hard-earner status.
The way i understand it, in August, they take each individual program and combine the nights, then apply that to the new standard and that is your new status level

Unless

You qualify for a higher level based on 2018 stays to date under one of the legacy programs, then you will be matched IAW the chart

Whichever is higher
Old May 1, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The way i understand it, in August, they take each individual program and combine the nights, then apply that to the new standard and that is your new status level
But what isn't clear is whether they'll combine the lifetime nights if you're interested in getting lifetime status under the old Marriott program (nights + points, rather than nights + years). That seems to not have been made clear, because different people have come to opposite conclusions about it.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold

Unless

You qualify for a higher level based on 2018 stays to date under one of the legacy programs, then you will be matched IAW the chart

Whichever is higher
They combine the nights between January 1st and July 31st, 2018?
If YES, then it confirms my fear. This basically mean they are going to steal 5 months of our hard-earned status. If i currently hold Platinum which is valid thru 2019, then i shall keep it till 2019 even if i don't make any single stay in 2018, right?

To C17PSGR: This was Marriott Platinum challenge.

To getagb: The question is not what happens between August and December 2018, but rather what happens on August 1st, BEFORE the accounts are merged. You say "it just wouldn’t make any sense and would violate everything we know about the spirit of this transition", but the way Marriott is refusing to unambiguously answer my very direct question points exactly into that direction.

Once again, i'd like to re-iterate that it's not about the status for 2019. It's pretty clear how it's going to be calculated. Rather, it's about the status between August and December 2018.
Something tells me that even the famous travel bloggers have misunderstood that. OMAAT writes about increasing the Platinum pool, but in reality it might just be the opposite.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If YES, then it confirms my fear. This basically mean they are going to steal 5 months of our hard-earned status. If i currently hold Platinum which is valid thru 2019, then i shall keep it till 2019 even if i don't make any single stay in 2018, right?

To getagb: The question is not what happens between August and December 2018, but rather what happens on August 1st, BEFORE the accounts are merged. You say "it just wouldn’t make any sense and would violate everything we know about the spirit of this transition", but the way Marriott is refusing to unambiguously answer my very direct question points exactly into that direction.

Once again, i'd like to re-iterate that it's not about the status for 2019. It's pretty clear how it's going to be calculated. Rather, it's about the status between August and December 2018.
Something tells me that even the famous travel bloggers have misunderstood that. OMAAT writes about increasing the Platinum pool, but in reality it might just be the opposite.
I think you are having trouble getting a straight answer because you are confusing some things and over complicating your question. If you ask Marriott “I am currently Platinum through Feb 2019, will I somehow lose this status that I already have earned in August?” the answer is “of course not”. All the stuff happening in August is about giving people higher status that they might not otherwise qualify for. Nobody is going down in status in the middle of the year.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by getagb

I think you are having trouble getting a straight answer because you are confusing some things and over complicating your question. If you ask Marriott “I am currently Platinum through Feb 2019, will I somehow lose this status that I already have earned in August?” the answer is “of course not”. All the stuff happening in August is about giving people higher status that they might not otherwise qualify for. Nobody is going down in status in the middle of the year.
Nope. The only clear answer i have got from Marriott so far is that i am CURRENTLY Gold (which is not true; i am Platinum), and thus will be Gold in August. So i am trying to understand why. I also hope that nobody is going down in the middle of the year, but getting less and less sure.
The only explanation why Marriott keeps saying i am currently Gold, is because since January 2018 i indeed have only met the re-qualification criteria for SPG Gold (19 stays).
Old May 1, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But what isn't clear is whether they'll combine the lifetime nights if you're interested in getting lifetime status under the old Marriott program (nights + points, rather than nights + years). That seems to not have been made clear, because different people have come to opposite conclusions about it.

IMO, they have bent over backwards to ensure you can take 2 programs and combine them and give you the highest possible status in any which way you can figure it out

I would imagine under the old marriott policy the people who are waiting on LT Plat are needing points and not nights, but i am sure if combining nights from spg and Marriott in august puts you over the plat threshold, you will probably get it

Same for them specifically saying they will give 2 years plat LT credit for every year you were LT spg and marriott

Go to the starwood forum, the lurkers have been pretty pro active answering wiki questions and by and large the answers have been on the more generous side and also generally siding with whatever method gives the customer the better deal

I am sure people think the sky is falling....the real thing that is going to cause a fuss is all these LT plats who get no SNA cause you actually have to have stays to get them, but i digress
Old May 1, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The question has been clearly answered a few times on the Starwood thread by the Starwood Lurker: see below. As of Aug 1, if you consider combined nights you will need to qualify under the new parameters. You will still have until the end of the year to qualify as you do now under either the Marriott or the SPG rules but only counting stays that would have counted under the previous rules for each individual program. You cannot combine the two program nights and have it count under the new rules. Combined total means new qualification rules while separate individual program totals means old qualification rules.

In August, when members combine Rewards and SPG accounts, their lifetime nights across both programs count toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. To be included in at previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG, members will have until December 31, 2018, to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status. Members will have until year-end 2018 to achieve Lifetime status under the current, separate policies. Beginning August 2018, members can also achieve based on their combined nights and tenure the new Lifetime criteria threshold beginning August 2018.
The Lurker has made it clear he can only pass along the exactly worded vetted answers Starwood hands him and is unable to expound, editorialize, opine or stray the slightest, so his answers can be counted on to be the correct company line.
beltway and jeanie like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
....the real thing that is going to cause a fuss is all these LT plats who get no SNA cause you actually have to have stays to get them, but i digress
Why? My understanding is SPG LT members never got them just for being LT because you only get them when you hit the number of stays needed each year. I asked about this shortly after the initial announcement and that was explained to me. As a MR LTP I had not dealt with SNAs before so I didn't know, but now that it has been explained I understand and don't expect them. I have seen nothing posted from any LTP indicating that the SNAs are expected nor anything other than accepting the fact we won't get them. Meh. They would be nice but I'm not getting them: Not a big deal.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't expect to earn enough points to cross this year (the last year you can earn this lifetime status), you can buy up to 50k points.

Or see here for more ideas:

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!

Thanks. So we have until the end of the year vs August? I should have enough with planned travel but I think I'd be a few thousand short come august.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Why? My understanding is SPG LT members never got them just for being LT because you only get them when you hit the number of stays needed each year. I asked about this shortly after the initial announcement and that was explained to me. As a MR LTP I had not dealt with SNAs before so I didn't know, but now that it has been explained I understand and don't expect them. I have seen nothing posted from any LTP indicating that the SNAs are expected nor anything other than accepting the fact we won't get them. Meh. They would be nice but I'm not getting them: Not a big deal.

That is the reasonable way at looking at it, but this is FT
Old May 2, 2018, 2:37 am

Nope. The only clear answer i have got from Marriott so far is that i am CURRENTLY Gold (which is not true; i am Platinum), and thus will be Gold in August. So i am trying to understand why. I also hope that nobody is going down in the middle of the year, but getting less and less sure.
The only explanation why Marriott keeps saying i am currently Gold, is because since January 2018 i indeed have only met the re-qualification criteria for SPG Gold (19 stays).
You will remain Platinum (Premier Platinum from August) for the rest of the year. This is absolutely certain, irrespective of your 2018 earnings ( but assuming you qualified for Platinum via the normal route).
getagb likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you achieved Marriott Platinum by doing the status challenge then you will be Platinum Premier as of August 1 - this was confirmed within the last 24 hours (see Wiki updates). I know that because I'm the one who added all the Wiki questions relating to status conversions.
Ignore any know-nothing CS rep that tells you that you will be Gold. They are just trying to shut down the conversation as quickly as possible so they can parrot something equally useless to the next respondent.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The question has been clearly answered a few times on the Starwood thread by the Starwood Lurker: see below. As of Aug 1, if you consider combined nights you will need to qualify under the new parameters. You will still have until the end of the year to qualify as you do now under either the Marriott or the SPG rules but only counting stays that would have counted under the previous rules for each individual program. You cannot combine the two program nights and have it count under the new rules. Combined total means new qualification rules while separate individual program totals means old qualification rules.
Well, that will keep me from hitting LT Plat Premier; I have 625 Marr LT nights so a far bit away from 750 for old MR LTP. If I were able to add my 79 SPG LT nights it would have at least made me think about shooting for MR LTP (with 30 nights more this year probable between SPG, MR stays and MR credit card). Oh well, I will be content with new LTP.

The biggest behavioral change for me will be dialing back on the MR credit card spend. I have recently been dedicating +/- 80% of my monthly total CC spend against that card trying to push LT nights. With no ability to get LT PP in the new program, I'll only use the card enough to complement my stay nights to get to the 50/75 night annual hurdles for the SNAs.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
If you achieved Marriott Platinum by doing the status challenge then you will be Platinum Premier as of August 1 - this was confirmed within the last 24 hours (see Wiki updates). I know that because I'm the one who added all the Wiki questions relating to status conversions.
Ignore any know-nothing CS rep that tells you that you will be Gold. They are just trying to shut down the conversation as quickly as possible so they can parrot something equally useless to the next respondent.
I am glad that you are so certain, and i really hope you're correct!
But may i ask where does this information come from? Including the wiki questions and answers?
The "know-nothing rep" may indeed know nothing, but they are company reps And they are not willing to provide me with a straightforward reply. The Starwood Lurker in the Starwood thread hasn't answered my question, either. That makes me suspicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.