Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I started as a Sheraton Club International member in the 20th Century and also a member of Westin. My 1000+ nights shown in my SPG account online is only a part of my total nights since 1999 when Starwood was formed to merge Sheraton and Westin. They don't include all the nights I accrued in the many years as elite members of Sheraton and Westin programs.
Your argument here seems to be with Starwood and not Marriott. If you were OK with and hadn’t challenged what Starwood did for you with your previous Sheraton and Westin program nights, then it’s diffiuclt to see how you can blame Marriott much now. If you weren’t OK with it, then staying with Starwood all these years since undermines your attempt below to seek life elsewhere.

If I am going to be treated as second tier in the new program, why shouldn't I just use my large number of accumulated points at Marriott/starwood from now on, and focus my revenue stays on Hyatt or Hilton to reach a higher, probably highest tier?
You didn’t get the Sheraton and Westin nights you claimed when they became part of SPG...and yet you seemed to stick with SPG. That doesn’t make you look likely to bolt Marriott now.

You're welcome to bolt Marriott now for Hyatt, of course. But Hyatt is even riper to be swallowed up by another massive hotel group than Starwood was. You won’t do so well in that lifetime equation if Hyatt is bought up by Hilton or IHG or Accor. Or (gasp) some future Chinese hotel conglomerate.

You’re welcome to bolt Marriott now for Hilton, too. But then you have to stay at Hilton hotels with far fewer perks than you ever enjoyed with SPG.

Brendan, Horace and kennycrudup like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Your argument here seems to be with Starwood and not Marriott. If you were OK with and hadn’t challenged what Starwood did for you with your previous Sheraton and Westin program nights, then it’s diffiuclt to see how you can blame Marriott much now. If you weren’t OK with it, then staying with Starwood all these years since undermines your attempt below to seek life elsewhere.

You didn’t get the Sheraton and Westin nights you claimed when they became part of SPG...and yet you seemed to stick with SPG. That doesn’t make you look likely to bolt Marriott now.

You're welcome to bolt Marriott now for Hyatt, of course. But Hyatt is even riper to be swallowed up by another massive hotel group than Starwood was. You won’t do so well in that lifetime equation if Hyatt is bought up by Hilton or IHG or Accor. Or (gasp) some future Chinese hotel conglomerate.

You’re welcome to bolt Marriott now for Hilton, too. But then you have to stay at Hilton hotels with far fewer perks than you ever enjoyed with SPG.

Not correct.

I got Sheraton and Westin points combined in 1998 or 1999 when Starwood formed, and I was Gold member in that year because of the prior year Sheraton and Westin points. At that time, there was no lifetime status (for obvious reasons).

After Starwood introduced lifetime status, I qualified without needing any of the old Sheraton and Westin night credits. I just had to wait until I accumulated 10 years of earned platinum status. Which in my case was successive 10 years without any gap being platinum. At the end of 10 years I already have far more than the 500 nights needed without counting pre-1999 nights.
smgainey likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:36 am
kkl

Will marriot be implementing "instant rewards"??

Eg redeeming points for credit at resorts etc
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
In the scheme of things, this isn't a primary focus, but the Platinum-dedicated line for Marriott no longer exists. Any calls there are now routed to the regular line. I was told just now (after holding for 15 minutes) that because of the merger, it will be "at least" five months before there is a dedicated Platinum line in service. FWIW.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by krobbins
In the scheme of things, this isn't a primary focus, but the Platinum-dedicated line for Marriott no longer exists. Any calls there are now routed to the regular line. I was told just now (after holding for 15 minutes) that because of the merger, it will be "at least" five months before there is a dedicated Platinum line in service. FWIW.
I think it’s intermittent — I sometimes still get through to the Platinum call center, maybe 1 in 5 calls.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by krobbins
I’m pretty surprised that Marriott might allow any chance for an interruption in Platinum customer service (internet or toll free phone line) with the start of the new program in August. I have no idea how common or useful that was with Marriott Platinum, but it is a pretty big deal from the SPG Platinum perspective.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Not correct.

I got Sheraton and Westin points combined in 1998 or 1999 when Starwood formed, and I was Gold member in that year because of the prior year Sheraton and Westin points. At that time, there was no lifetime status (for obvious reasons).

After Starwood introduced lifetime status, I qualified without needing any of the old Sheraton and Westin night credits. I just had to wait until I accumulated 10 years of earned platinum status. Which in my case was successive 10 years without any gap being platinum. At the end of 10 years I already have far more than the 500 nights needed without counting pre-1999 nights.
??? SPG lifetime status wasn't introduced until Feb 1, 2012. I was immediately granted SPG LT Gold. If you're saying that you've been Plat for so many years, you should have been immediately granted LT Plat.
How many years of Plat did you have when SPG introduced LT status?

As to your 'second tier' comment in a previous post, why is it that you were fine not even having a shot at LT status until Feb 1, 2012, but now LTPP status is really, REALLY important?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsallgood
why is it that you were fine not even having a shot at LT status until Feb 1, 2012, but now LTPP status is really, REALLY important?
This is quite the canard you keep repeating to any SPG loyal. Many of us have done hundreds of nights and spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars the past 6 years.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

This is quite the canard you keep repeating to any SPG loyal. Many of us have done hundreds of nights and spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars the past 6 years.
Not a canard and I don't appreciate you stating that I'm being dishonest about it. It's very simple to look up. https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4054678.html
Starwood launches 'Richest Elite' traveler benefits
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/Media/...ENTS_HOTEL.pdf
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not a canard and I don't appreciate you stating that I'm being dishonest about it. It's very simple to look up. https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4054678.html
Starwood launches 'Richest Elite' traveler benefits
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/Media/...ENTS_HOTEL.pdf
There was always a decent if not significant chance a LT program would be introduced as they have been in basically every hotel and airline loyalty program. Especially since Starwood long had a “we try harder” mindset with respect to elite benefits, given the smaller footprint and valuable customer base.

Using your our own logic against you, why is it so important for Marriott LTPs get new LTPP, a much better level of benefits than they had before? Especially since the new Plat level basically covers all significant Marriott LTP benefits and is even better in some ways.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Apr 28, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

There was always a decent if not significant chance a LT program would be introduced as they have been in basically every hotel and airline loyalty program. Especially since Starwood long had a “we try harder” mindset with respect to elite benefits, given the smaller footprint and valuable customer base.

Using your our own logic against you, why is it so important for Marriott LTPs get new LTPP, a much better level of benefits than they had before? Especially since the new Plat level basically covers all significant Marriott LTP benefits and is even better in some ways.
What makes the new Plat “better in some ways” than current Marriott Plat?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getagb

What makes the new Plat “better in some ways” than current Marriott Plat?
stronger suite language (more in the SPG vein)
SNAs (for annual 50 night Plats)
breakfast at resorts and more properties
bhrubin and getagb like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia

As to your 'second tier' comment in a previous post, why is it that you were fine not even having a shot at LT status until Feb 1, 2012, but now LTPP status is really, REALLY important?
Many times people don't want something until they see that someone else has it. Every once in a while, as a de-stresser, I will watch the Panda Cam at Zoo Atlanta. They have a set of sub adult (1 year old) twin pandas. There are piles of bamboo lying around, and the twins still only want the bamboo the other one has. Then they fight over it, even though there is plenty of bamboo for both of them. In this example, it is actually rather cute!

So my theory is that many people from SPG want LTPP because it is something the Marriott Rewards people can have that they can't.

I have another question here. If an SPG Gold has been matched to Marriott Gold, and then (for argument's sake) let's say they get moved to Platinum in August. Is that new status valid until February, 2019, or 2020?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:48 am

If I stay 50 nights combined Starwood and Marriott in calendar year 2018, will that give me platinum50 for the following year, or just gold?

also, will that expire January 31 2020 or February 28 2020?

thank you
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
So my theory is that many people from SPG want LTPP because it is something the Marriott Rewards people can have that they can't.
It's juuuuuust a bit more complex than that..."we" are not just kids at Christmas jealous of the presents our siblings get...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.