Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA (EXP), SPG/Marriott (Platinum)
Originally Posted by tomwhom
My question exactly! Hopefully and possibly Marriott will honor, let's see.
Have you heard anything more about the 2018 CC elite nights? I just clarified the question to someone who responded, so maybe there has been more learning on this question.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Andrew DCA
I have existing Amex SPG card with the 5 elite nights and also existing Chase Marriott card with 15 elite nights -- so would that count as 20 elite nights for the 2018 qualification year?

What if you had consumer and small business version of each card? Would that be 40 nights for 2018?
My guess is that:

(1) if you qualify using SPG Amex credit cards with only SPG nights, you can qualify all max bonus 10 credit card nights towards 2019 status under current SPG terms.
(2) if you qualify using Marriott Chase cards with only Marriott nights, you can qualify all max bonus 30 credit card nights towards 2019 status under current Marriott Rewards terms.
(3) you cannot combine nights with SPG and Marriott under the new Unified program with more than a Marriott credit card 15 nights max bonus
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
VFTW has a sample of how hotels are being recategorized for Bali, Carribiean/Mexico, NYC and Paris. Not as bad as some feared, although Marriotts seem to be going up and Starwoods get more of the decreases.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...739.1524425393
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by beachfan
VFTW has a sample of how hotels are being recategorized for Bali, Carribiean/Mexico, NYC and Paris. Not as bad as some feared, although Marriotts seem to be going up and Starwoods get more of the decreases.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...739.1524425393
No need to go to the blog. SPG Lurker posted the preview in the SPG forum & Trooper posted it in this forum.

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1905601-new-redemption-rates-preview.html

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by bhrubin

My guess is that:

(1) if you qualify using SPG Amex credit cards with only SPG nights, you can qualify all max bonus 10 credit card nights towards 2019 status under current SPG terms.
(2) if you qualify using Marriott Chase cards with only Marriott nights, you can qualify all max bonus 30 credit card nights towards 2019 status under current Marriott Rewards terms.
(3) you cannot combine nights with SPG and Marriott under the new Unified program with more than a Marriott credit card 15 nights max bonus
Which then leads to the next question: I have two Marriott credit cards that cycle after August. Does the 15-night per person limit start in August or in 2019?

Mike
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:37 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by mikeef
Which then leads to the next question: I have two Marriott credit cards that cycle after August. Does the 15-night per person limit start in August or in 2019?

Mike
My assumption is that if you want to qualify using the Unified Marriott program with both MR and SPG nights, only 1 card with the 15 night max limit will apply. If you want to qualify using only MR/RC nights, then the 2 cards might apply until the end of this year.

Basically, it’s pretty simple—you have 3 means to qualify for status for 2019:

(1) current SPG program, with only SPG nights but using both SPG Amex cards
(2) current MR/RC program, with only MR/RC nights but using both MR Chase cards or RC Chase card
(3) new Unified program, with both SPG and MR/RC nights and a max of 15 nights using a MR/SPG card under the new Unified rules.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No need to go to the blog. SPG Lurker posted the preview in the SPG forum & Trooper posted it in this forum.

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1905601-new-redemption-rates-preview.html

Cheers.
Directly from Marriott:

https://members.marriott.com/tophotels/

Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Any insight on if nights will be combined first for lifetime status? I am trying to figure out what lifetime status I will have going forward.
  • I am currently Gold on SPG and Marriott
  • I am lifetime gold on SPG
  • I have 6 years as an SPG Plat, 4 years as SPG Gold, and >500 SPG nights
  • I have >300 Marriott nights lifetime, but I believe I am only lifetime Silver (fewer qualifying points?)
  • I have 4 years as a Marriott Plat, and 5 years as Marriott gold (and maybe a couple of Silvers)
  • If it matters I also have Lifetime United Gold as a Million Miler (which can give me Marriott status currently)
  • I currently have both the legacy Marriott Premier card, and the SPG Amex, and have had both for several years. (Yes I realize I will likely want to consolidate and get rid of one of these)
So my combined >800 nights and 10 years of Platinum would be enough for lifetime Platinum on either legacy program. Based on this I would think I would qualify for lifetime Platinum Premier Elite? Or would it be Platinum, or even just Gold?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
Any insight on if nights will be combined first for lifetime status? I am trying to figure out what lifetime status I will have going forward.
  • I am currently Gold on SPG and Marriott
  • I am lifetime gold on SPG
  • I have 6 years as an SPG Plat, 4 years as SPG Gold, and >500 SPG nights
  • I have >300 Marriott nights lifetime, but I believe I am only lifetime Silver (fewer qualifying points?)
  • I have 4 years as a Marriott Plat, and 5 years as Marriott gold (and maybe a couple of Silvers)
  • If it matters I also have Lifetime United Gold as a Million Miler (which can give me Marriott status currently)
  • I currently have both the legacy Marriott Premier card, and the SPG Amex, and have had both for several years. (Yes I realize I will likely want to consolidate and get rid of one of these)
So my combined >800 nights and 10 years of Platinum would be enough for lifetime Platinum on either legacy program. Based on this I would think I would qualify for lifetime Platinum Premier Elite? Or would it be Platinum, or even just Gold?
After the programs are merged, based on what you have written, you should qualify as lifetime platinum under the new program.

Last edited by jeanie; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:00 pm

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Marriott Plat has never been exclusive! They have always had wayt too many who had 30 nights from the 2 credit cards, not to mention those who could spend to get extra elite nights on the cards.

SPG Plat has never been so exclusive, either, though it was never as bad as for Marriott Plat. There still were plenty of SPG Plats who earned it through 25 stays of 1 night each at cheap midscale properties in very inexpensive markets.

Those have been nixed. The new Plat will be a lot harder to earn...and therefore more exclusive. That and a much bigger portfolio makes it even more exclusive, I'd say.

Even the new Plat 100 spend requirement nixes those Plats who were staying at cheaper midscale and upscale properties to get their 100 nights. Those were most of the people whining in the SPG Forum Ambassador threads that their Ambassadors didn't do much for them. Well, they spent little, and so they got little. They also tended to stay at hotels that don't exactly offer much in the way of better service or amenities--but they were too foolish or too ignorant to ever notice or care.

Now we see the truth of the matter with the $20K spend requirement for Ambassador Plat Premier 100 status. And let me tell you--having the Ambassador and staying at great hotels makes ALL the difference in the world. As it were, I already have hit my 101 nights (helped by the 2 SPG Amex cards 10 elite nights, as well as earning 3 elite nights for paying for 3 rooms) and the $20K spend--and it's April. I also have had some incredible Ambassador upgrades and assists, including saving me a non-refundable StR Bora Bora night ($2000) from an airline cancellation, while also getting me upgraded to the StR Bora Bora 2 bedroom Royal OWV with private pool from a regular OWV! Including specialty suite upgrades at the Gritti Palace Venice in 2016 (from an award entry level room), the Excelsior Gallia Milan in 2016, the Hotel Imperial Vienna in 2017 (from an award entry level room), the Prince de Galles Paris (from an award entry level room), the StR San Francisco a dozen times since 2015 (from entry level paid and award rooms), the StR New York last month (on entry level paid room), and even the StR Atlanta in a week--already pre-upgraded to a St Regis Suite despite not using any SNAs and well before the SNA window opens! I just came back from the W Boston, where I was pre-upgraded to a Wow Suite 2 weeks before I arrived.

Those who spend more do better in the SPG Ambassador program. Those who spend more and stay more with Marriott will be rewarded in kind, it seems.

Those who were able to manufacture status before cannot do so as easily now--and I'm sorry for them,. But they aren't paying as much as others, and those who pay more are the ones who the program should most reward. The new program seems to do that. The Hilton program doesn't even come close.

The new Marriott program isn't perfect..but it's pretty good so far.
bhrubin, You've responded to several of my posts on the Points Guy's blog and I've read several of your posts on Flyertalk, and I'm disappointed that your posts sound so condescending. It is possible to disagree with people without using words like "stupid", and if you do insist on using words like that and they give a response that proves you wrong, then it would be nice if you didn't disappear but instead acknowledged your error(s).

For example, you stated that Marriott hotels that currently cost 50k points per night would not be moved into Category 8 in the new program, however there are no such properties because the highest rate is currently 45k points/night. I know the ins and outs of the current Marriott program better than you, so it's best if you don't try to educate me on it.

Also, you keep berating me for being upset that my Marriott points will be devalued and cost up to 40% more since, as you acknowledged, most 70k-point/night Tier 5 Ritz Carlton hotels will probably be moved to Category 8 in the new program, which will cost up to 100k points per night. But I want to know if you would be happy if the St Regis hotels that currently cost 30k to 35k Starpoints (90k to 105k Marriott points) per night were to cost up to 150k points per night in the new program? I bet you would be unhappy with a 40% increase in the number of points needed for an award stay just as I am unhappy with it, no?

By the way, I'm a Lifetime Platinum and Platinum Premier with Marriott, and I currently have 93 nights and have spent over $10k so far this year, so at this rate (and with the help of an expensive stay at a luxury SPG property in Hawaii in July) I'll have met the requirements for Ambassador by the time the new program takes effect On Aug 1, and will greatly exceed those requirements by the end of the year. Therefore, I'm not just someone staying on cheap stays and whining. I have a valid complaint about the devaluation of the points for which I have paid $30k a year for years, and I'm completely justified in my displeasure.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smgainey
For example, you stated that Marriott hotels that currently cost 50k points per night would not be moved into Category 8 in the new program,
Out of the hotels announced so far, zero Marriott properties are Category 8. All five Category 8 hotels are SPG Category 7s. Marriott Category 9 was a mid-level tier even within Marriott's program -- it was just hidden because RC properties were in "tiers" instead of categories.

most 70k-point/night Tier 5 Ritz Carlton hotels will probably be moved to Category 8 in the new program.
This may turn out to be correct. but so far it's 0 for 1. The lone RC Tier 5 category that has been announced is Category 7, with a corresponding decrease in the points required.

It does not appear that Marriott is reflexively increasing point requirements across the board. Instead, they appear to be mapping the old point values across to the new categories and then tweaking accordingly. We'll know more as the rest of the categorizations are revealed, but so far nothing really supports the doom and gloom scenario.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Perhaps neither!

Ie, on at least one of those new cards, I saw them say "15 elite nights per year (staring in 2019)". So that implies that the new cards won't give you any 15 nights in 2018, they'll wait until 2019 to give them.

So if you want a chance at 15 more nights this year, you may have to apply for any existing Chase Marriott cards you qualify for.

Furthermore, existing Chase Marriott cards give an extra elite night for every $3000 in spend. That is not mentioned on any of the new cards. So again, if you want more elite night through spend, you have to have (or get) an existing card AFAIK.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Furthermore, existing Chase Marriott cards give an extra elite night for every $3000 in spend. That is not mentioned on any of the new cards. So again, if you want more elite night through spend, you have to have (or get) an existing card AFAIK.
Not true. The new Marriott Rewards Premier Visa is the same as the current one. Here is a link to the official page. Click on the second card from the left, Marriott Premier Visa, and scroll down to the Benefits and the third line item is 1 Elite Night Credit per $3000 spent on purchases.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:40 pm
Suspended

bhrubin, You've responded to several of my posts on the Points Guy's blog and I've read several of your posts on Flyertalk, and I'm disappointed that your posts sound so condescending. It is possible to disagree with people without using words like "stupid", and if you do insist on using words like that and they give a response that proves you wrong, then it would be nice if you didn't disappear but instead acknowledged your error(s).
You've quoted a post of mine from here on FlyerTalk, but you haven't at all referred to my post. That is confusing, to say the least.

We are on FlyerTalk, so I'd be grateful if you keep the conversation to what has been posted on FlyerTalk. Everything else has no context. I'm sorry if I used words not to your liking on other blogs, but I am not sure this is the proper place to have such a conversation.

For example, you stated that Marriott hotels that currently cost 50k points per night would not be moved into Category 8 in the new program, however there are no such properties because the highest rate is currently 45k points/night. I know the ins and outs of the current Marriott program better than you, so it's best if you don't try to educate me on it.
Again, you are pulling information from outside FlyerTalk and asking me to comment without proper context.

But I'll try to answer. For hotels that currently cost 45,000 or 50,000 or 55,000 points or so, I doubt any will be moving into the new Category 8 that at peak can cost as many as 100,000 points. If you know the ins and outs of the Marriott program, then you know that not a single hotel that costs 45,000 points ever would have moved into even the Ritz Carlton Tier 5 category, either. So they aren't moving into the new Category 8.

Also, you keep berating me for being upset that my Marriott points will be devalued and cost up to 40% more since, as you acknowledged, most 70k-point/night Tier 5 Ritz Carlton hotels will probably be moved to Category 8 in the new program, which will cost up to 100k points per night. But I want to know if you would be happy if the St Regis hotels that currently cost 30k to 35k Starpoints (90k to 105k Marriott points) per night were to cost up to 150k points per night in the new program? I bet you would be unhappy with a 40% increase in the number of points needed for an award stay just as I am unhappy with it, no?
You again are referring to some posts outside FlyerTalk. Without the context of those, it is impossible to know exactly what we're discussing.

If I do understand you correctly, you seem to believe that current Marriott category 7 hotels are somehow going to end up in the new Category 8. I find that so unlikely as to be not worth consideration. That isn't berating. That is my starkly different opinion.

I am not sure the point of your hypothetical for St Regis hotels becoming as pricey as 150,000 points. St Regis hotels aren't going up in cost by some insane number of points,. Of course, neither are most Marriott or Ritz Carlton properties. You are assuming a massive devaluation that just hasn't occurred. I believe the hysteria perpetuated by some of a massive devaluation simply isn't accurate. I believe your assessment of a 40% devaluation of Marriott points is also inaccurate and extremely misleading. I'm sorry that we so disagree.

As you and many Marriott elites are now discovering, the average daily rates for many of the luxury brand hotels in the SPG portfolio are significantly more than those of the luxury brands of Marriott/Ritz Carlton. The fact that even many W hotels and resorts have ADRs higher than those of many Ritz Carlton properties is no surprise to me, but it will be a surprise to many MR/RC elites. And that doesn't even consider the many top Luxury Collection and of course many St Regis properties. Too many RC people have assumed that RC was equivalent to St Regis. I'm willing to bet the new categories are going to make it more obvious that was isn't true.

With the ADRs and award demand taken together, the Unified Marriott chart is going to put a lot more St Regis and top Luxury Collection and W hotels (and even Design Hotels) in Category 8 than Ritz Carlton properties. All you need to do is look at the current Tier 5 RC properties and see that there are far more category 7 St Regis, Luxury Collection, Design Hotels, and W hotels in comparison. Everything else will filter down from there. There are going to be far more SPG portfolio properties in the Unified Marriott Category 7, too, though now I expect we will see plenty of Ritz Carlton properties joined by other Luxury Collection, St Regis, W, and Design hotels, as well as pricier Westin, Le Meridien, and even JW properties. If we see any JW properties in Category 8 I will be shocked.

This new reset is why there won't be the massive devaluation for Marriott/RC properties--because there just weren't nearly as many excellent 5* properties in the Marriott and even RC portfolios when compared with SPG! You don't seem to believe or recognize that yet.,..but I am certain you will once the new chart is revealed. Even these first chart releases already show this.

By the way, I'm a Lifetime Platinum and Platinum Premier with Marriott, and I currently have 93 nights and have spent over $10k so far this year, so at this rate (and with the help of an expensive stay at a luxury SPG property in Hawaii in July) I'll have met the requirements for Ambassador by the time the new program takes effect On Aug 1, and will greatly exceed those requirements by the end of the year. Therefore, I'm not just someone staying on cheap stays and whining. I have a valid complaint about the devaluation of the points for which I have paid $30k a year for years, and I'm completely justified in my displeasure.
I had no idea about what types of hotels at which you stay. I think it's great that you will qualify for Ambassador status--which for you and any Marriott Platinums will be a very new experience. I wish you well with your new status, and hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:02 pm

Is it just me or is there an alarming number of people who seem unable to read? The details are quite clear for most of the parameters in the new program. And yet so many people are asking questions about details that are patently clear from the Marriott new program website.

Also, these are hotels. You’d think some people are losing their firstborn. Everyone knew there would be changes. Thus far, the changes aren’t so big, really.

The now biggest hotel chain in the world is giving its old members from Marriott far more elite benefits than ever offered before (pretty much matching the Starwood elite benefits), and is giving its new members from Starwood much the same benefits as Starwood but with more nights/spend required to achieve them in the much bigger portfolio.

Lifetime elite status is largely preserved with much the same benefits as already enjoyed. Some minor changes, but there always were going to be at least a few changes.

The old Marriott program had points that weren’t worth much compared with Starwood, and everyone who wasn’t a Marriott member already knew this—so the Marriott points are worth much less than Starwood points in the final equation. So are the new award categories, recognizing that Marriott members are about to have access to a lot of much nicer and more aspirational hotels that Starwood members have enjoyed for quite a long time now.

If you don’t like it, please feel free to join Hilton or IHG. Please don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
They're giving Marriott members perks that we may not necessarily want or care for. I'd much rather NOT have my points devalued than to have an Ambassador or Your24. If I had wanted the SPG perks then I would have stayed at SPG hotels all these years. You may find it hard to believe but there are those of us for whom SPG's program is not better than Marriott's program.

If they really wanted to give us better perks then they'd do like Hyatt (which is where I would stay if their footprint was big enough) and give the top elites perks such as no resort fees and complimentary parking on award stays (I'd even go so far as to suggest complimentary parking on paid stays as well, or at the very least reserved parking so we don't have to drive all around and to the top of the garage to find a space), and maybe give top elites complimentary breakfast at all properties without exclusions. We don't yet know what their no blackout policy will look like, but if hotels are allowed to reclassify rooms as non-standard or not release standard rooms for award stays (which would essentially be a blackout) then maybe they could allow top elites to book with points even if those rooms aren't open to everyone else for points.

I'm not a fan of Hilton's program, so thanks, but no thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.