Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
We will know next Monday

Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
What a difference time makes

There once was a Courtyard Club .... and FT's commented: "If you stay at CY often then it's worth it. Its benefits are free local calls, newspaper, and etc. BTW you receive $10 CY certificate when you join for $10 annual fee."

Club Courtyard

And IIRC, there wasn't free breakfast then either. But we did get coffee.

And then, in 1997, Marriott Rewards came along ... complete with a "card will also be color coded to indicate the member's status in Marriott's various special service clubs."

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4000603.html
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by bradpetrik
There wouldn't be materials with this out there yet.
What would S, G, P and PP mean on a mobile check-in card relate to then at a Marriott? I status matched from SPG Plat, so the "P" was circled.
I couldn't figure what was PP...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Yunnnn
I checked into a Marriott recently using mobile check-in and the check-in card the associate passed me had S, G, P and PP on it (with my status circled).

I was wondering since when Marriott had a PP Status; this probably explains!

I've had PP status for several years. Not sure when it started but nice to see a hotel with a guide for FD agents.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:52 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
The additional tiers may also help differentiate the benefits for the upcoming Chase and Amex cards. I could see:

Amex "Super Premium" consumer card: Will likely have a roughly $450 AF like the new Amex Hilton card. Could see this offering Plat status

Chase "Premium" consumer card: Could see $89-95 AF and with Gold status

Chase "Mass" consumer card: Could see either no AF or around $29 AF (like new IHG lower end card) and with Silver status
I wondered about this too, especially since for me as a Canadian, my AMEX Plat offers me SPG Gold, which gives me Marriott Gold. If SPG gold becomes like Marriott Silver, it is worthless for me, and I would rather shift to a card that offered me Plat status, which is most likely going to be where you get the free breakfast/lounge access.

I really hope this doesn't affect me for the rest of the year as a Marriott Gold member, I booked Marriott hotels with the knowledge I would be getting that lounge / breakfast. I have about 20 nights booked thus far, half of which were a pre-paid booking I cannot change.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've had PP status for several years. Not sure when it started but nice to see a hotel with a guide for FD agents.
Ah ok, so it's a status at Marriott but not published.

My bad then. I couldn't find it on the website and I barely look at the Marriott program.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:02 pm

Ah ok, so it's a status at Marriott but not published.

My bad then. I couldn't find it on the website and I barely look at the Marriott program.
It is an unpublished level. There will be several threads on here discussing that the benefits are undefined other than a small annual gift and a telephone number. From a practical view, it generally results in a suite upgrade outside North America. Within North America, many desk agents don't know what it is either although it has a distinctive code in the reservation system.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I checked into a Marriott recently using mobile check-in and the check-in card the associate passed me had S, G, P and PP on it (with my status circled).

I was wondering since when Marriott had a PP Status; this probably explains!
Marriott has had PP as an unpublished status for a long time, but most hotels don't know what it means.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:14 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by yurtripper
If it turns out that all the most worthwhile benefits (lounge access, suite upgrades, 4pm checkout, breakfast at resorts) only start from Plat 75 then it doesn't take a genius to work out which level all the LPTs will be grandfathered into.
That would be the most logical way to go. But if Marriott intend to give all LTPs the shaft then it will be platinum.

As a LTP, I'll be watching carefully and may shift towards Hilton if Marriott show no respect despite all their previous assurances.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:15 pm

Gosh the postings in the blogosphere linking back to this post have the sky falling!

This is speculation which seems to have the ring of truth to it but it is just speculation. Hopefully, we'll have something more definitive next week.

That being said, I can't imagine Marriott will make an announcement next week that things are changing immediately. I can't think of any combined frequent traveler program that changed things immediately without notice -- particularly since there is an announcement that things will run separately for some period of time.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Even Hyatt admitted that it wasn't a good rollout and the problems hurt the company's bottom line.
my point being that they won't realize it until it actually is launched. then it'll be too late and a lot of people will be pissed the hell off
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by yerffej201
my point being that they won't realize it until it actually is launched. then it'll be too late and a lot of people will be pissed the hell off
Well, that's what case studies are for ... so you'd hope they learnt something.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by GVA
As a LTP, I'll be watching carefully and may shift towards Hilton if Marriott show no respect despite all their previous assurances.
Where has Marriott made assurances previously? I've heard others say this before, but I've never once seen something to substantiate it. As everyone should know, lifetime is only for the lifetime of the program.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 9, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Has there been any mention of suite upgrades and such and the differences with clearing said requests for the 3 Platinum tiers?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:19 pm

Combining spg nights with marriott nights for status

I had an email exchange with CEO Sorenson a few months ago asking him to try to combine spg nights with marriott nights for status determination purposes this year. He said be patient, we're working on it. So this could very well be part of the announcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.