Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
Fall 2017 MegaBonus Terms and Conditions

*A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. [Although the T&Cs don't say it clearly, a stay can be as short as one night.]

• Registration is required.
• Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by November 30, 2017 will earn one (1) free night award at a category 1-5 hotel (value of standard free night award ranges from 7,500 points for Category 1 hotels to 25,000 points for Category 5 hotels) after two paid stays* made between September 12, 2017 and January 15, 2018, at participating Marriott® properties.
• If a member completes two qualifying stays during the promotional period, an additional offer may be unlocked and become available in the members account within 2-3 days after the second qualifying stay.
• The member may not receive additional notification except through their online member account and must register for the additional offer within two (2) weeks from the date the additional offer becomes available.
• Maximum one (1) free night award earned with this promotion per member to be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-5 properties.
• Free night award will expire six (6) months after the date of issuance.
• An earned free night award is good for one (1) single or double occupancy standard room only and includes the cost of the hotel room and applicable room taxes only.
• An earned free night award will be added to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the second qualifying stay.
• The awarded free night certificate is not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
• Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit.
• Stays at ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments are not eligible for credit toward this promotion.
• Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
• Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
• For a list of current Marriott Rewards participating brands, visit https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi.
• Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
• Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion.
• All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
• See https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi for more information.
• Visit MarriottRewards.com/FreeNightMegaBonus for complete details.
• © 2017 Marriott International, Inc.

US T&C above, here are all the T&C links I found:

https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_fr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_au.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_jp.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_kr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_es.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_de.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_cn.html
Print Wikipost

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:25 am

SPG TO Marriott

I have never used SPG and just linked my accounts. I am a platinum Elite Marriott Member already.

I 100% agree with scracer14 about the SPG post is so much better. Read his post above.

SHLPT- Can you explain to me how the promo with Marriott is better than SPG. What is your offer? I only have 1,000 bonus points per stay from Marriott. Your offer may be different then mine! Are you including the certificate in your statement as well?

To me it's the opposite. I am trying to stay at as many Sheraton, Westin's and le Meriden's as I can to get that extra 500 bonus points. I will then transfer those over to Marriott points. I will be earning 1,800 to 2,200 extra marriott points then I would using the Marriott promotion.

The one thing I read about with the SPG promotions is hotels have the option of choosing to do the promotion or not! When they transfer everything over to Marriott later this year I hope and assume they will be required for everything! Marriott seems to be having issue with their rewards program now, it is scary to think how bad it will be when they combine everything!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
TO be clear - the SPG promo is generally better than Marriott one for most people ... and I think meant to shift SPG golds back to staying at starwood rather than clogging up Marriott lounges. Many of these folks stay for one nights and thus the starwood promo w its bonus points by stay is attractive for them.

It also gets people like you, a Marriott loyalist, to try starwood because the Marriott promo is so underwhelming.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Got the same crappy 2nd tier promo as most. Is there a "My Promotions" section on the spg site? I can't seem to find one.
try looking at www.spg.com/dashboard
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
TO be clear - the SPG promo is generally better than Marriott one for most people ... and I think meant to shift SPG golds back to staying at starwood rather than clogging up Marriott lounges. Many of these folks stay for one nights and thus the starwood promo w its bonus points by stay is attractive for them.

It also gets people like you, a Marriott loyalist, to try starwood because the Marriott promo is so underwhelming.
Except that EVERY hotel I have stayed in recently is not playing in the SPG promo.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mindrisa
Interested to hear what the third unlock is for those who got the stay once get 2k points for the second part of the promo.

I am in the same boat as most others... 10k for 5 stays then 1k per stay after that. Would have much preferred the old promos where 20 nights was worth so many points with each night after that being worth more (or whatever it was that similar).
Yep... I'm definitely getting screwed on this megabonus since my stays are in blocks of 12 days for a total of 60 nights. Only going to be worth 10,000 pts, where in the past, it would have been 35,000 - 50,000.

I refuse to check out and in every night when I have 2 suitcases to drag around and would likely have to stay in a different room every night.

This is a terrible megabonus for loyalists.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Promo makes sense to me from a business perspective - so many spg golds have been matching and flocking to Marriott, taking up club lounge space android upgrades that it is causing real problems. The result is that Marriott needs to drive those SPG gold people & Marriott folks to go to a starwood properties rest of year to balance out stays.

The Starwood promo is good for people who want to pay 25 nights in order to requalify for gold and are jumping in and out of properties in order to get bonus points.
While you do benefit from jumping in and out of properties with the SPG promo, you also do for the Marriott promo... Both are based on Stays...

Not sure why this would be specifically good for someone trying to requalify as SPG Gold, because the SPG promo is still bettwer than the MR promo for someone (like myself) with 140 SPG nights and 110 Marriott nights (35 rollover).

Sounds like by the first paragraph that you have some animosity towards the SPG folks overall... I for one, did just the opposite, switch most of my stays from MR to SPG because I felt the properties gave a little better service (and got sick of paying $5-10 for water bottles in the Marriott properties)
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
10K for 5 stays here as well, which being a one-night guy on lower rates, works okay. The 1000 per stay after that looks a bit weak compared with last summer's 2000, but better than a sharp stick in the eye and roughly double points on $100-ish rates.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, UA Silver
Anyone else get this email?

Got an email that says "Book now. Keep earning. Unlock more."

I finished the first two stays in the first week and unlocked the second bonus last week. Is this suggesting there's more? Or is it a generic email sent to everyone regardless of whether you're already on the 10,000 after 5, then 1000 per stay portion?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Huh? I am lifetime SPG plat. I have almost never stayed at a Marriott before so certainly not hostile towards SPG folks. But you’d be blind and stupid not to realize SPG golds, which is an easy status to attain, are flocking to Marriott because Marriott gold benefits are far better than gold ones.

If you one stays 10 nights in a row and one night in another hotel... Starwood would give 2000 points if hotels are participating with promo. With Marriott you’d get a free night so Marriott promo is better if you are generally a long stayer as I am. Starwood promo is better if you stay 1 night. Many SPG golds golds flocked to Marriott for club access. I see this promo as clearly a way to get them to go back to starwood and many Marriott folks here are saying they will go to starwood because promo better. Before there was not much incentive for Marriott loyalists to try Starwood as Starwood loyalists to try Marriott unless you tend to stay for long durations as I do or are using points at the end of year as I am because of worries of devaluation. I had 36 starwood nights booked for the remainder of the year but will only get 1000 points. If I switched two of those stays to Marriott (which I have done) I’d get one free night which is obviously more valuable. Hostile to Starwood no but able to reason yes

Originally Posted by scracer14
While you do benefit from jumping in and out of properties with the SPG promo, you also do for the Marriott promo... Both are based on Stays...

Not sure why this would be specifically good for someone trying to requalify as SPG Gold, because the SPG promo is still bettwer than the MR promo for someone (like myself) with 140 SPG nights and 110 Marriott nights (35 rollover).

Sounds like by the first paragraph that you have some animosity towards the SPG folks overall... I for one, did just the opposite, switch most of my stays from MR to SPG because I felt the properties gave a little better service (and got sick of paying $5-10 for water bottles in the Marriott properties)

Last edited by SHLTP; Oct 4, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
10K for 5 stays here as well, which being a one-night guy on lower rates, works okay. The 1000 per stay after that looks a bit weak compared with last summer's 2000, but better than a sharp stick in the eye and roughly double points on $100-ish rates.
I got the same offer. Seems ok.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Non-commissionable rate?

Just made a reservation that will be my 2nd stay, therefore earning a free night...or will it?

Rate is a "non-commissionable rate" - it's nothing exotic, just a AAA package that includes valet parking. Not booking through a TA, just directly on the Marriott website.

Will this count towards the Megabonus?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Just made a reservation that will be my 2nd stay, therefore earning a free night...or will it?

Rate is a "non-commissionable rate" - it's nothing exotic, just a AAA package that includes valet parking. Not booking through a TA, just directly on the Marriott website.

Will this count towards the Megabonus?
Yes - AAA rates have always counted in my experience.

The rate won't earn a commission for a TA or return anything through TopCashback, though.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Yes - AAA rates have always counted in my experience.

The rate won't earn a commission for a TA or return anything through TopCashback, though.
Thank you. We book AAA and AARP all the time and I guess I just never noticed that before.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Agree ! same here

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I searched for this and couldn't find it - where does your free night cert post once you've earned it? Is it easily visible in your Marriott "account overview" or do you have to click somewhere else in your account to view it? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.