FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)
View Single Post
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:17 am
scracer14

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Promo makes sense to me from a business perspective - so many spg golds have been matching and flocking to Marriott, taking up club lounge space android upgrades that it is causing real problems. The result is that Marriott needs to drive those SPG gold people & Marriott folks to go to a starwood properties rest of year to balance out stays.

The Starwood promo is good for people who want to pay 25 nights in order to requalify for gold and are jumping in and out of properties in order to get bonus points.
While you do benefit from jumping in and out of properties with the SPG promo, you also do for the Marriott promo... Both are based on Stays...

Not sure why this would be specifically good for someone trying to requalify as SPG Gold, because the SPG promo is still bettwer than the MR promo for someone (like myself) with 140 SPG nights and 110 Marriott nights (35 rollover).

Sounds like by the first paragraph that you have some animosity towards the SPG folks overall... I for one, did just the opposite, switch most of my stays from MR to SPG because I felt the properties gave a little better service (and got sick of paying $5-10 for water bottles in the Marriott properties)