Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
Fall 2017 MegaBonus Terms and Conditions

*A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. [Although the T&Cs don't say it clearly, a stay can be as short as one night.]

• Registration is required.
• Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by November 30, 2017 will earn one (1) free night award at a category 1-5 hotel (value of standard free night award ranges from 7,500 points for Category 1 hotels to 25,000 points for Category 5 hotels) after two paid stays* made between September 12, 2017 and January 15, 2018, at participating Marriott® properties.
• If a member completes two qualifying stays during the promotional period, an additional offer may be unlocked and become available in the members account within 2-3 days after the second qualifying stay.
• The member may not receive additional notification except through their online member account and must register for the additional offer within two (2) weeks from the date the additional offer becomes available.
• Maximum one (1) free night award earned with this promotion per member to be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-5 properties.
• Free night award will expire six (6) months after the date of issuance.
• An earned free night award is good for one (1) single or double occupancy standard room only and includes the cost of the hotel room and applicable room taxes only.
• An earned free night award will be added to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the second qualifying stay.
• The awarded free night certificate is not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
• Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit.
• Stays at ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments are not eligible for credit toward this promotion.
• Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
• Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
• For a list of current Marriott Rewards participating brands, visit https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi.
• Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
• Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion.
• All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
• See https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi for more information.
• Visit MarriottRewards.com/FreeNightMegaBonus for complete details.
• © 2017 Marriott International, Inc.

US T&C above, here are all the T&C links I found:

https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_fr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_au.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_jp.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_kr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_es.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_de.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_cn.html
Print Wikipost

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Kacee
Understand the frustration with inability to use the Cat 5's, especially for purely domestic travelers, but these are worth on average $100-125 - which is not a bad bonus at all for just two stays.
I'm with you on this. It's frustrating to try to find suitable opportunities to redeem the Cat 1-5 certs earned from the Chase credit cards because there we're comparing the value of the room night to the card's annual fee. Getting a $100-125 room months later in exchange for the hard cost of the $85 AF is a marginal value. Now consider the cost of acquisition here. It's zero. It's a bonus that can be earned in as little as two nights at inexpensive properties. Getting even a $100 room night as a bonus for two short stays is a great bonus.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm usually a cheerleader for the 1-5's, but looking over my upcoming trips for the next 6+ months and I'm having a hard time...we usually have to stay overnight in SEA because of crazy schedules back to EUG, and my go-to, the FFI, is now a 6.

I also don't compare it to what "that" 1-5 would cost, I compare it to what I can book at a competitor's hotel (usually Hilton for us) and I have to admit it's getting more and more difficult to glean the value.

I'm taking a pass on this promo because I'll have a struggle using my Chase's, I don't need another one to deal with. Bring it up to Cat. 6 and it is a world of difference.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm usually a cheerleader for the 1-5's, but looking over my upcoming trips for the next 6+ months and I'm having a hard time...we usually have to stay overnight in SEA because of crazy schedules back to EUG, and my go-to, the FFI, is now a 6...
Just FYI the category 5 Springhill Suites in Renton is a decent place and has an airport shuttle to SEA. They are not as convenient for early departing flights as the FFI due to their distance from SEA but might be an option for you for later departures. It's hard to imagine the FFI being a 6, although we haven't stayed there in years so maybe it's been spruced up.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:40 pm
alc

Originally Posted by puchong
Does Marriott send an e-mail confirmation of the registration? I have registered but not had any confirmation from them - so I don't want to be told after my stays that I did not register (:
Just got an confirming that I had been registered for the promo.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Personally, I'd prefer points for the greater flexibility in lieu of a Cat 5 certificate. Still, there's value in the certificate.

I think the best way to use a certificate is for hotels that still have award availability, but cash rates that are high for an event.

I'm using my Chase cert to cover a Cat 5 hotel that wanted $339 for one of my stay nights. I'll pay cash ($199 per night) for the first two nights and burn the certificate for the final evening.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Just FYI the category 5 Springhill Suites in Renton is a decent place and has an airport shuttle to SEA. They are not as convenient for early departing flights as the FFI due to their distance from SEA but might be an option for you for later departures. It's hard to imagine the FFI being a 6, although we haven't stayed there in years so maybe it's been spruced up.
Unfortunately we're usually on the 7:45 am so do want to be as close as possible. The 2 Hampton Inns are often $30-50 less than the Fairfield Inn these days.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by alc
Just got an <email> confirming that I had been registered for the promo.
Same here.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:44 pm
soy

Programs: various
How fast does the megabonus night post?
My 2nd stay ends 7 days prior to the night I want to use the megabonus night. Night is held with points but no way I would burn 25k points when I can get the nearby Hampton at $100. I thought the free night posts within a day or 2, but cannot recall for sure as never had such a tight window before.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Unfortunately we're usually on the 7:45 am so do want to be as close as possible. The 2 Hampton Inns are often $30-50 less than the Fairfield Inn these days.
There are two cat 5 hotels within 3 miles of the airport. Yes, if you are so location specific that 2-3 miles is a deal breaker than paying cash is probably your best option.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I stayed there earlier this year. No sprucing up - local Hamptons are nicer. I'd compare this property more to a Best Western, if anything. I'm not overly picky, but having stayed at the Spring Hill as well this year, it and the Fairfield are roughly a toss up. For a morning flight, FFI wins.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Segments
There are two cat 5 hotels within 3 miles of the airport. Yes, if you are so location specific that 2-3 miles is a deal breaker than paying cash is probably your best option.
I see a few that are 4-5 miles, east of the I-5, and I do admit they have not been on my radar. Might have to give them a try someday.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm new to Marriott, but this Cat 5 ceiling is not very generous it seems!
Depends. See my comments below.

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Except when you can easily use it at hotel selling upwards of $400/night minimum.
Agree.

Originally Posted by agjil
Is there a single cat-5 property out there that sells basic rooms for $400 per night?
Doesn't even have to be $400 night or above. There are some lovely Cat 5 properties that go for quite a bit of $$.

There are also some basic Cat 5 properties that, depending on time of week or special event (Super Bowl, World Cup, Formula 1, Sturgis, Eclipse viewing, major football games US or int'l , or concerts, etc) that book for quite a bit of $$ & are a good use of night certs.

Also, they can come in handy for early morning or late night departures, when often near an airport there's a Cat 1-5 & it means a bit more sleep, or in unexpected events such as blizzards, typhoons, hurricanes, or even medical events when one needs to stay near a hospital, such as I used mine when my sister had breast cancer, or even when yes, one is in a not so popular location for something like a family reunion or to attend a wedding.

A few years ago when ORD was shut down for 3 days due to a major blizzard I found myself having to stay longer in LA because of that. The Ren LAX (at the time) was a Cat 4; regular room rates were close to $300/night because it was mid-week & because other travelers were stuck as well. I was very thankful I had 2 Cat 1-4 certs in my account, as it saved me $600. It also saved me having to use a boatload of points for those nights.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. Marriott provides elite benefits regardless of your rate. This includes free nights.

Marriott's policy of treating elites as elites, regardless of rate, is one of the unheralded benefits of MR compared to the competition, where an ineligible paid rate (e.g., booked through an OTA or contracted) gets you NOTHING.
Agree.

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Of course. I'm sure there are plenty more cats 5s at many other 'places most people don't want to go to to spend their award' too.
Again it varies. There are 715 Cat 5 properties worldwide.

Some elites go to cities such as London & yes, while staying at the LHR Ren is not the same as staying in central London, at least it's an easy ride on the Picadilly line into the city. Same w/ Chicago. One can stay out near ORD & take the blue line into downtown. But there are also cities in the US with full-service Cat 5s, as well as the more limited service brands.

And there are international cities w/ full service Cat 5 options that have gotten nice reviews such as the Warsaw Marriott, the Marriotts in Abu Dhabi, the 2 Rens in Paris, the 2 Marriotts in Moscow, the Renaissance Malmo, the JW in New Delhi, or a resort like the JW in Vietnam, etc. The Courtyard Arena in AMS offers an option as well. Sure it's not full service, but it's still in AMS & not out near the airport. Those are hardly places that people don't want to go.

With the Cat 1-5s work for every city or all full service properties? No. Can they be used? Absolutely.

Originally Posted by milgom
Does any one knows if this is stackable with the Free Nights for new members promotion? So if I would get two free nights after two stays?
Yes, they're stackable. I signed up a friend of mine for MR & also had MR sign him up for the megabonus. He got the appropriate amount of free night certs after he met the requirements of both promos/they deposited automatically into his account.

Originally Posted by 1120
Personally, I'd prefer points for the greater flexibility in lieu of a Cat 5 certificate. Still, there's value in the certificate. I think the best way to use a certificate is for hotels that still have award availability, but cash rates that are high for an event.
Agree. I've also liked when promos vary & sometimes it's certs & sometimes it's points. Points give flexibility because they can be used anywhere for any category. But certs come in handy as well. I'd rather use a Cat 1-5 cert if I've got one than use 25,000 points/night, as it takes longer to accumulate points.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 10, 2017 at 7:24 am Reason: provide additional info on the stackable question and personal examples of use...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Yes, they're stackable. I signed up a friend of mine for MR & also had MR sign him up for the megabonus. He got the appropriate amount of free night certs after he met the requirements of both promos/they deposited automatically into his account.
Thanks SkiAdcock for your answer. Great! I've found a great hotel to redeem those certificates in...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If due to my travel patterns, I will be unable to redeem the Cat 1-5 cert, is there any way to extract some value from the first phase of this promo?

Appears to be:
  • impossible to buy up with points to a higher category
  • impossible to convert to any amount of points
  • against T&C to use as a gift for someone else
I’m still doing the promo hoping I’ll like the unlocked later offers, but I think my cert will expire unused.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by getagb
I’m still doing the promo hoping I’ll like the unlocked later offers, but I think my cert will expire unused.
Perhaps you can treat a friend, co-worker or family member's kids to a pool day at a local Cat. 1-5. Many of them have indoor pools, which would give the kids the opportunity to swim in the middle of winter.

Check in for a night using your cert and invite the kids over.

I often stay at a Cat. 3 FI near some family members who don't have a pool of their own. Doesn't seem to matter to the kids that the pool is dinky and in an enclosed space. They just want to go swimming. Usually a very big hit. They swim for a couple of hours and then we use my room to towel off, shower, etc. and then they leave.

Just a thought. And better than wasting it.
BingBongBoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.