Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Often you won't even notice it except for the higher price you'll pay.
One of the best "features" of Marriott's version of this (versus most of their competitors) is that the override "rate" is the regular business rate for that hotel. I've been very surprised at how "low" the rates can be when using an override.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I forget the exact words, but when a Plat Override rate shows up on the site, in addition to the ridiculously high rate, it says something like, "Special Rate" or "Special Promotional Rate" towards the top of the page where you confirm the reservation parameters.
I do believe that Socrates mentioned something like that, but I've yet to notice it on the few times I've used the override.

And as I mentioned above, at least for the FS hotels, your rate will be the hotel's normal corporate rate. IMHO, that is why it is very easy to miss the fact that you may have an override reservation and not even know it (along with the fact that Marriott's system doesn't prominently mention it.)
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GoSaints
this thread was started over ten yrs ago, and i haven't read through every post-- but here's what i'm wondering: I have been a Plat. member for the last 5 or 6 yrs, recently got downgraded to Gold, and today spent 40,000 pts to reinstate my Platinum status.. I've never before tried to invoke the Platinum override, i guess i never realized it was an option.. at the moment, i'm trying to book rooms for trips that are 6 mos. to a year down the road, and i want to make sure i understand the override correctly: If i'm punching in the dates i want and nothing shows up as available, then i can just pick up my phone, call Guest Services and they'll book a room for me? The Guest Services agent i spoke with today made it sound like that's exactly how it's done, he said that "99 times out of a hundred" it can be done.. i've never tried this before and i want to see if i'm missing anything.. and what would be be the one time out of a hundred that it wouldn't work?
if you are logged into your profile on Marriott.com you'll have the same access as any reservation agent will...the override will automatically kick in (unless as mentioned a waiver was granted)
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the hotel gets a corporate waiver for some large citywide event or something specific to them. Read upstream for examples and people's feelings on the availability, it is mixed.

Invoking is easy, its automatically tied to your MR# and you can book it online within 72 (48?) hours of check-in. Often you won't even notice it except for the higher price you'll pay.
48 hours.....
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I forget the exact words, but when a Plat Override rate shows up on the site, in addition to the ridiculously high rate, it says something like, "Special Rate" or "Special Promotional Rate" towards the top of the page where you confirm the reservation parameters. You will also be limited to one room at that rate.
you'll be charged the hotels "retail" or "benchmark" rate for that day
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something like "this rate is only available to Elite members like you" or words to that effect. IIRC
gosh I'll have to go back and try it to see exactly what it reads but I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of "Platinum Availability Invoked" blah blah blah (at least that's what the associates see when it happens
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says "this special rate is only available to elites like you"
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Ding, ding, ding, that is it and I win for being the closest without going over...

But really needs to be replaced with something else. Otherwise you would think they are just offering a special rate for any silver, gold or PLT members, I know I did many times.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Thank you. Earlier this morning, I was trying to make dummy reservations for next Monday night, hoping I'd find something requiring the override, because not knowing the exact wording was driving me nuts.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ding, ding, ding, that is it and I win for being the closest without going over...

But really needs to be replaced with something else. Otherwise you would think they are just offering a special rate for any silver, gold or PLT members, I know I did many times.
Exactly! I have several times booked this and did not know that was what it meant until someone pointed it out here.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:03 am

Inn at Opryland (Gaylord) Nashville is not available for April 11, 2015 (paid). I called the platinum desk and the reservations in house. It has been blocked for an event (convention?), and I am not allowed to use the Platinum override.

The same has happened for the Berlin Marriot and Berlin Courtyard in August 2015.

Am I just out of luck? It seems that Marriott is giving a lot of exceptions to the Platinum override!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a meeting commits to buying an entire hotel PO is not available. Look at it from the meeting organizers perspective.

I've come to a hotel with 200 rooms plus meeting space and told them I want to book all 200 rooms and all their meeting space for a meeting in 12 months.

The hotel responds- you can have all 200 rooms minus any booked by platinums over the next 12 months.

Meeting organizer says- how many will that be?

Hotel says- we don't know, might be none, might be 50.

Meeting organizer finds another hotel that can guarantee them all the rooms.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ymcarthur2
Inn at Opryland (Gaylord) Nashville is not available for April 11, 2015 (paid). I called the platinum desk and the reservations in house. It has been blocked for an event (convention?), and I am not allowed to use the Platinum override.

The same has happened for the Berlin Marriot and Berlin Courtyard in August 2015.

Am I just out of luck? It seems that Marriott is giving a lot of exceptions to the Platinum override!
You might just be out of luck. There are some large events in Berlin next August which might explain no override for Marriott & CY & if the entire Gaylord is booked (for probably a convention) that knocks that out.

Did you try the Autograph Collection property in Berlin? That gets really good reviews.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:00 am

I understand the business perspective. I just think this is a worthless platinum "enhancement" if you can't use it, since so many hotels have exemptions. Marriott should just remove it as a Platinum "perk". The Autograph hotel in Berlin is also unavailable. I was going to pay for all these hotels, not use points. That's a whole other issue.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Platinum Override

We have used it many times.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I've also used this benefit a number of times. In fact, I just used it last week for the Key Bridge Marriott to get a room. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.