Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LDoc
I didn't condemn the Mormons; I condemned Marriott's religious hypocrisy.

If you have read anything about Marriott's religious posturing in the past, you would know that they have had to reconcile their religious issues with the LGBT community. https://qz.com/216328/how-marriots-o...travel-market/

You would have also seen that one of Marriott's priorities this past week during the merger with SPG was getting the Book of Mormon in 300K+ SPG rooms instead of concentrating on a smooth merger. https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...on/1104206002/

Obviously, Marriott is very serious about religion even if it is publicly traded. You may also want to check out all their "Golden Rule" propaganda - Marriott Golden Rule

So, commenting on the religious hypocrisy of Marriott as a corporation is not that far of a stretch, which has also been done by prominent travel bloggers.
Yes I’m sure they focused all resources on getting the book or Mormon in hotel rooms. I am sure that is why the travel packages are not handled better hahaha

if it was not for those books the merger would have happened without a hitch !!

I have no dog in the fight.. not being that religious and definitely not Mormon but your obsession is halarious. You really do seem to care way too much about the religion. Maybe you should discontinue using Marriott properties. I would if I were you !!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I would say:

You would have also seen that one of Marriott's priorities this past week during the merger with SPG was getting the Book of Mormon in 300K+ SPG rooms IN PARALLEL TO concentrating on a smooth merger. https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...on/1104206002/

Marriott being such a huge organisation they can definitely do both at once.
Are you sure about that? Have you been paying attention to all the issues going on with the merger?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by zerodegre

Yes I’m sure they focused all resources on getting the book or Mormon in hotel rooms. I am sure that is why the travel packages are not handled better hahaha

if it was not for those books the merger would have happened without a hitch !!

I have no dog in the fight.. not being that religious and definitely not Mormon but your obsession is halarious. You really do seem to care way too much about the religion. Maybe you should discontinue using Marriott properties. I would if I were you !!
You might want to read up on projection because you were the one that got triggered by a comment about corporate hypocrisy.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Has anyone managed after 8/18 to downgrade a 7-night package to get the 30k points back? I tried to downgrade OC6 -> OC5 (both mapping to NC4), and was told they cannot make any modifications until 9/18.
Some folks were able to downgrade cat8 to NC5 successfully with 30k refunds. Some agents are of knowledgeable than others. Just you need some HUCA.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
You might want to read up on projection because you were the one that got triggered by a comment about corporate hypocrisy.
not “triggered” just thought it was funny.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Are you sure about that? Have you been paying attention to all the issues going on with the merger?
Well I am sure that if Marriott don't deliver the Book of Mormons to SPG hotels, they would still have all these issues on the merger. That is because they involved completely different team of people and groups for co-ordination and implementation purposes.

Merger of any ICT systems is always very complicated and messy. Even with long known lead time, it is usually the last minute business decisions and requirements that cause major ICT issues on the migration day.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Thanks. I had filled out a request at https://www.marriott.com/marriott/contact.mi (as described by https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...kages-refunds/). I'll have to see if I can summon the strength to call...
Nobody has gotten any meaningful response from that submission.

On the other hand, enough people have blazed the trail to get their issues resolved, for the most part. There are more than sufficient data points posted on this thread on how to get things done. All one needs to do is to read and learn.

It is up to you whether you want to put in more efforts and time to get what you want or passively wait for Marriott would eventually take care of you. The choice is yours.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well I am sure that if Marriott don't deliver the Book of Mormons to SPG hotels, they would still have all these issues on the merger. That is because they involved completely different team of people and groups for co-ordination and implementation purposes.

Merger of any ICT systems is always very complicated and messy. Even with long known lead time, it is usually the last minute business decisions and requirements that cause major ICT issues on the migration day.
In other words, it’s Marriott’s greed-driven decisions to fleece its TP-redeeming customers that caused this situation hitting TP-redeemers. Not much different than the corporate greed-driven decisions causing some other major ICT issues.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

In other words, it’s Marriott’s greed-driven decisions to fleece its TP-redeeming customers that caused this situation hitting TP-redeemers. Not much different than the corporate greed-driven decisions causing some other major ICT issues.
You can certainly say "greed", others would say "maximise shareholder returns". It is practically the same word. After all, Marriott paid through the nose to buy Starwood, they have to maximise their returns somehow, not to mention they are a for-profit listed company.

I wouldn't be surprised that originally Marriott was thinking of being generous, but when all the bloggers and FT speculating the point windfall and they noticed that there is a lot of buy up of TPs, they realised that they will lose a lot of money by being generous. Someone from the top looked at numbers and decided to change the option in the last week causing such headaches for TP holders.

Of course the whole execution is bad but Marriott is far from alone on this. Major ICT issues on merger are very common. I would give them 2 months to sort out, as fortunately I do have the time for it.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver

You would have also seen that one of Marriott's priorities this past week during the merger with SPG was getting the Book of Mormon in 300K+ SPG rooms IN PARALLEL TO concentrating on a smooth merger. https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...on/1104206002/

Marriott being such a huge organisation they can definitely do both at once.
They could, but they most obviously did not, so I find LDoc's sarcasm warranted and funny.

And undeniably (judging by the results) they allocated enough resources to mormonify SPG but not enough for a smooth merger, so…
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You can certainly say "greed", others would say "maximise shareholder returns". It is practically the same word. After all, Marriott paid through the nose to buy Starwood, they have to maximise their returns somehow, not to mention they are a for-profit listed company.

I wouldn't be surprised that originally Marriott was thinking of being generous, but when all the bloggers and FT speculating the point windfall and they noticed that there is a lot of buy up of TPs, they realised that they will lose a lot of money by being generous. Someone from the top looked at numbers and decided to change the option in the last week causing such headaches for TP holders.

Of course the whole execution is bad but Marriott is far from alone on this. Major ICT issues on merger are very common. I would give them 2 months to sort out, as fortunately I do have the time for it.
“Originally Marriott was thinking of being generous” with the TPs? Despite its greed? Let’s get real, that was not their intent..

Blaming the bloggers and FTers for Marriott’s incompetence and greed is like blaming the rooster’s “cock-a-doodle-do” for the sun rising and setting.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself

Not to rub it in or anything. I managed to find an Old Cat 8 hotel mapping to New Cat 6 that I wanted to stay in, and that was available for the 7 days I wanted.

I upgraded my Old Cat 1-5 to a Cat 8, and booked it 3 days before 8/18.

So now I’m quite pleased. If I had left it unattached I would not have been able to book that hotel which is now a Cat 6 and my cert now being a Cat 5.

So at least for me, this “gamble” worked out OK.
Does anyone know if you did this but have to change the dates by a few days, is that possible, or does it cancel the certificate and need to be reissued?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:32 am

Hi I’d like to share my experience downgrading my previously unattached, legacy category 6 travel package 7 night certificate to a new category 1-4 7 night certificate.
I called 1-801-468-4000 at 08:16 Eastern and said “Transfer reward points” at the first prompt and “something else” at the second and got through straight away.
I asked to “downgrade my legacy Category 6 7-night certificate code (870T) to the new category 1-4 7 night certificate (QP83) for 45,000 points and get a 30,000 point refund.” The agent successfully attached the QP83 to a new Category 4 booking for 7 nights. Entire process completed within 7 minutes.

Note: Agent said that QP80 would cost 75,000 points so I asked her to try QP83 which cost 45,000 points giving me a 30,000 point refund as per the announcement on the Marriott Insiders website.
cruisr, seankearns and rny321 like this.

Last edited by jrella; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:35 am Reason: Formatting Issues
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:47 am

so where i once thought i was in smooth sailing, now i ahve an issue with my old category 8 travel package

had a trip slated to start on Thursday Aug 30, so i attached a legacy 8 cert to my reservation and stopped paying attention to the conversion and mapping issues

it now looks like i will have to cancel my plans...the hotel that I want has moved to category 6, which my legacy 8 certificate will not be able to cover...i know there are data points on downgrading

but what about upgrading? its not ideal, but paying 30k points to move to a travel package that can take any category 6 hotel at least means that I wont have issues later on when rescheduling

but from wht i ve seen upgrading isnt an option...so what are my alternatives now?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When one major company in a consolidating industry whacks its customers, other companies in the same consolidating industry befome more likely to follow suit. It’s part of why the “I’d switch and not think twice about it” approach is to be admonished and not followed.

Marriott’s not rotten to the core, but it’s greedy and incompetent in a way that deserves lots of criticism if only to try to retard the spread of the anti-customer infection spreading as fast and as awfully as happens when customers done wrong simply “shut up and move on”.
The person to whom I was responding believes that Marriott is evil to its core. If that is the case, then why would you ever stay at one of their hotels again?

I believe that Marriott's execution of this merger has been a poorly-planned mess, but I do not believe there has been a long conspiracy to hose Travel Package users. The "done wrong" bit here is mostly hassle, inconvenience, and poor communication. I had an unattached certificate. I'll get to use it in the same hotel I was planning to use it in a month ago. They didn't publish the mapping because they were still having internal "oh crap, what do we do now?" meetings. Remember, they did publish all of the main terms and conditions of the program well in advance - and included a bunch of items designed to show generosity to the acquired customers from Starwood. Many of us would not have been surprised if Marriott/Starwood went to all dynamic award pricing, which could have quickly led to industry-wide devaluation of loyalty programs overall.

Incompetence means I'll stay away for a little while...do a couple Hilton stays, wait until the systems seem to be working. But if I felt that Marriott was some sort of sinister supervillain, I would not come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.