Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invalyd
I was able to cancel my floater Marriott cert for the refund amount (Cat 8 - 135k) after calling several times.

The agent kept insisting the points weren’t mine to keep and I needed to book a hotel and the cert doesn’t just go away, not sure what she meant but they’re back in my account now, does that mean I’m safe and can move on and just book as needed?
yes
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The position of the letter P is the key.

Partial OC6 is P870, not 870P which I have no clue what it is for.

Partial OC5 is P830, but the Old Tier 1-3 is 830P.

As an example, that is the confirmation of an Partial OC6 on Aug 13th.
  • Description: 7 Night Partial Package Category 6 Hotels
  • Reward code: P870
  • Valid through: Tuesday, August 13, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 75,000
  • Confirmed on: Monday, August 13, 2018
Virgin certs have the T at the end. i.e. OTC1-5 Virgin Cert is 830T.
I see. Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Total math - 420,000 for Certificate minus 195K refund = 225K final cost. For those 225K points I got 120K Alaska miles and 3 nights in a Cat 7 hotel. Alaska only charges 25K for JAL PVG-NRT-KUL or SIN, which is a lot of flying in flat seat business class, and I redeemed for 3 persons. Good deal.
How do you figure you only spent 225k?? You spent 420k, got 195k back, then spent 180k, so you should have been left with 15k, and spent 405k for the Alaska miles and your 3 nights. I’m not saying that’s bad, but if it was 225k I want several of those deals.
jrey likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
are they planning to refund the 30k points for cat 6 and cat 8?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
  • Description: PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
  • Reward code: QP84
  • Valid through: Friday, August 23, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 105,000
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes, they cancelled the QP99 (points refunded) and issued the new QP84 then cancelled the QP84 (points refunded) and issued the new QP88.
Originally Posted by nick793
Group A
New Cat 1-4 from Old Cat 1-5: QP83 - 45k value
New Cat 5 from Old Cat 7 or upgrading from NC1-4a: QPXX - 105k value
New Cat 6 from Old Cat 9 or upgrading from NC1-4a: QP99 - 165k value
New Cat 7 when upgrading from NC1-4a: QPXX - 225k value
New Cat 8 when upgrading from NC1-4a: QPXX - 285k value

Group B
New Cat 1-4 from Old Cat 6: QP80 - 75k value
New Cat 5 from Old Cat 8 or upgrading from NC1-4b: QP88 - 135k value
New Cat 6 from Old Tier 1-3 or upgrading from NC1-4b: QPXX - 195k value
New Cat 7 when upgrading from NC1-4b: QPXX - 255k value
New Cat 8 when upgrading from NC1-4b: QPXX - 315k value
Thanks for compiling the table. I think it's missing New Cat 1-4 QP84 skimthetrees received with a 105k value. I'm struggling with the logic on that one. What a puzzle this is!

Skimthetrees, just to confirm, is the net change in your points balance so far zero, computed as follows?
Upgrade OC8 to NC6= 30k cost
Downgrade NC6 165k to NC4 105k = 60k refund
Upgrade NC4 105k to NC5 135k = 30k cost
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
are they planning to refund the 30k points for cat 6 and cat 8?
Nobody knows.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:05 am

Anyone tried to call to upgrade a cert post merger?
atojbk likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rny321
Insanity is saying the same nonsense over and over again and expecting rational people to believe it.
It doesn't change the facts! Prove me wrong!

Oh, and your statement applies to the debate vise-versa. I am not inferring anything by that. I anticipate you were not also.

James
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:11 am

Sorry for the basic question, but can I ask what a "Partial" certificate is?

I have an OC6 certificate, for which I paid 300,000 points and for which the old cancellation value would have been 75,000 points. I bought the certificate as a Category 6 in the first instance, and never upgraded/downgraded it. Is this a "P870" partial certificate, or something else? Unfortunately I never got an email from Marriott confirming the package, so I can't see a code in that.

My hope is to be able to call up and to substitute my OC6 certificate for a NC1-4 certificate and get a 30,000 point refund at the same time. E.g. If what I currently have is a P870 certificate, can I ask for a conversion of my P870 (75,000 value) to a QP83 (45,000 value), and should that result in a 30,000 refund? Or should I ask for a conversion to QP80 (75,000 value) first, and then ask to substitute the QP80 to a QP83 for the 30,000 refund?

(For what it's worth, I've come to terms with the NC1-4 certificate as being an acceptable substitute for OC6, subject to the 30k refund. There are quite a few OC6 or OC7 hotels in NC4. E.g. you can use a NC1-4 for a week-long stay at a perfectly decent hotel in downtown NYC (including the soon-to-open Moxy and AC), which is worth a fair chunk.)
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:27 am

There is a lot of good work here to determine the reward codes and point values, but I am not completely sure how this information unlocks getting things we all want to accomplish (i.e. upgrade with 30K points OR downgrade with 30K refund) when speaking with a CSR. Or, is the code detective work only about canceling a travel package and getting points refunded (45K for the cat 1-4 + difference in higher category costs)?

NOTE: I would like to get my floating OC8 (NC5) upgraded to an NC6 or at least get the 30K refund because OC7 and OC8 both map to N5.

If the below info helps, it is the TP confirmation for my OC8 floater. Note the code 950T
--------------------------------
Description: 7 Night Travel Package Category 8 Hotels
Reward code: 950T
Valid through: Thursday, August 15, 2019
Total points redeemed: 360,000
Confirmed on: Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Last edited by LDoc; Aug 24, 2018 at 4:32 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LDoc
There is a lot of good work here to determine the reward codes and point values, but I am not completely sure how this information unlocks getting things we all want to accomplish (i.e. upgrade with 30K points OR downgrade with 30K refund) when speaking with a CSR. Or, is the code detective work only about canceling a travel package and getting points refunded (45K for the cat 1-4 + difference in higher category costs)?

NOTE: I would like to get my floating OC8 (NC5) upgraded to an NC6 or at least get the 30K refund because OC7 and OC8 both map to N5.

If the below info helps, it is the TP confirmation for my OC8 floater. Note the code 950T
--------------------------------
Description: 7 Night Travel Package Category 8 Hotels
Reward code: 950T
Valid through: Thursday, August 15, 2019
Total points redeemed: 360,000
Confirmed on: Wednesday, August 15, 2018
I wouldn’t generally suggest volunteering to downgrade a certificates for a mere 30k points, as that may undermine the ability to go after Marriott for its anti-customer TP shenanigans.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:05 am
Suspended

Has anyone been able to successfully redeem points (not a TP) for an SPG property?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Has anyone been able to successfully redeem points (not a TP) for an SPG property?
Raffles from HfP appears to have, St Regis NYC:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...europe-routes/
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kapooncha
I thought I have seen a few posts where some were able to, but they had to call in to MR to get the award reservation made. I do believe the reservation tool provides the number to call to make reservations at legacy SPG properties.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It doesn't change the facts! Prove me wrong!

Oh, and your statement applies to the debate vise-versa. I am not inferring anything by that. I anticipate you were not also.

James
Since nobody disputed my earlier analysis, you could start with the following:

Originally Posted by rny321
Nobody is questioning that many things have very little value when a customer tries to cancel them. Prepaid hotel reservations, low cost airline tickets, sporting and entertainment tickets may be nearly worthless if a customer is unable to use them. In contrast, I doubt there are many examples when a hotel room was unavailable, a flight segment was cancelled, an outdoor baseball game was cancelled due to weather or a concert was cancelled due to the illness of a performer where a company with sufficient resources to make restitution based a refund on what a customer who chose to cancel would have received.

I believe the current Terms & Conditions state that hotel awards are nonrefundable. One blogger has claimed that any hotel awards that a customer cancels would only receive 5K in points regardless of the category held. Do those that keep insisting that old Cat 1-5 awards are only worth 45K believe that it would be an equitable solution for MPG to cancel a customer's new 7-night Cat 8 certificate and refund no more than 5K in points simply because MPG decided to reduce the number of categories?

Unless I missed something, MR and SPG each sent the same innocuous sounding Email about impending changes to hotel awards just over a week in advance of any changes. What was posted by various bloggers and at least one Lurkers did not end up being official policy. While it may have helped or hurt the small percentage of people who heard on 8/15 about new restrictions on existing travel awards, that wasn't a substitute for advance notice to all affected customers.

While travel companies have enormous flexibility to make changes to terms and conditions with little or no advance notice, that doesn't mean that people who are adversely affected shouldn't try to obtain better treatment. While it made sense to attach hotel awards to firm plans, any changes in dates would have negated any benefits from doing so. As some found out, trying to cancel a reservation with an attached certificate created more potential problems than not attaching until plans were definite.

Hotels and airlines are free to cancel advance reservations and refund the purchase price for almost any reason. If I believed a company would cancel an award that could be used for a 7-night stay and offer less points than needed for a 2-night stay, I wouldn't derive much comfort in having a certificate attached to a reservation that could be cancelled at will by that same company.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 24, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.