Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
QP80 is the +30k conversion (from Nick's work). Same as QP88 and I presume 96.

OC5->NC4-45 QP83
OC6->NC4-75 QP80
OC7->NC5-105 QP91
OC8->NC5-135 QP88
OC9->NC6-165 QP99
OCT3->NC6-195 QP96
OCT5->NC7-315 QP107

The last two are guesses.

Few data points suggest that upgrades and downgrades are being allowed based on the point values attached to the category designation. Maybe this is by design for implementation after Sept18, maybe a one time only, or maybe something allowed in the system but not supposed to happen. Might be worth attempting to upgrade if that is your aim before that option is closed, if in fact it will be.
Great. It seems it is worth all the way going up to NC7-QP107 before category 8 kicks in next year.

I didn't find NC6 hotels I really want to stay for 7 nights. But there are many ones at category 7-8 I would love to stay.

Definitely, it is worth a try. Is there anyone successful doing this?

If one time upgrade opportunity is given, I will definitely upgrade my cert all the way up. (special thanks to spg luxury card)

Last edited by johnstein; Aug 28, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
I was aware of the special cases. I decided to leave the decision about whether or not to add them to the Wiki to others because I wasn't sure if the additional data points would make things clearer or more confusing for those who haven't been following the drama.
I believe we now have enough DPs to finetune the table Nick has posted. He has 2 tables one for the normal conversion one for the additional value inbedded in the NCs.
The 2 tables would help those who want to downgrade or upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:25 pm

Called to have my old Tier 4-5 replaced with an equivalent new category 7. They cancelled old certificate and were unable to issue a new one. Supposedly the new cat 7's will not be available until next week. So my points are back in my account and I asked them to notate what happened so that I don't get any pushback on "buying" a new certificate a week from now.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:20 pm

The only real competitor for Marriott is Hilton due to their generous promotions and comparable footprint. Stayed at the Hilton garden inn last week and it was a nice experience.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Was able to book the Marriott Wailea Resort with a points advance reservation. Hoping I'll be able to attach my cert once Marriott gets their heads screwed on.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:38 pm

Just called Marriott to attach my OC5 certificate with no success. Wanted to take care of this as early as possible because my stay is on 9/27, which leaves me with less than 10 days after the 9/18 deadline. CSR was helpful but said her system wouldn't allow attaching the certificate during the blackout period. She even went to call the hotel but apparently the front desk has no idea about travel packages.

Right now I have a point advance reservation, and the CSR told me to just hold onto it and call back on 9/18. Said that I should have enough time, and since the room is already secured, all they need to do is just to attach the certificate.

From some posts above, it looks like some folks have been able to attach certificates even during this blackout period. I wonder if that's because they 1) cancelled a reservation made with an OC certificate, 2) asked the CSR to manually convert it into a NC certificate, and 3) attach the NC certificate. If this's true, that might be the only way to use any certificate before 9/18. Because I didn't make any booking with it before 8/18, the certificate on my account is still in the "old" format, therefore I might just have to wait for now.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eric.paranoia
Just called Marriott to attach my OC5 certificate with no success. Wanted to take care of this as early as possible because my stay is on 9/27, which leaves me with less than 10 days after the 9/18 deadline. CSR was helpful but said her system wouldn't allow attaching the certificate during the blackout period. She even went to call the hotel but apparently the front desk has no idea about travel packages.

Right now I have a point advance reservation, and the CSR told me to just hold onto it and call back on 9/18. Said that I should have enough time, and since the room is already secured, all they need to do is just to attach the certificate.

From some posts above, it looks like some folks have been able to attach certificates even during this blackout period. I wonder if that's because they 1) cancelled a reservation made with an OC certificate, 2) asked the CSR to manually convert it into a NC certificate, and 3) attach the NC certificate. If this's true, that might be the only way to use any certificate before 9/18. Because I didn't make any booking with it before 8/18, the certificate on my account is still in the "old" format, therefore I might just have to wait for now.
You need to read more carefully and understand the process. OC can NOT attach to any booking. OC must be converted to NC first. Then some agents know how to work the system to attach it. Go back and read those success stories - ALL of them have the OC turned into NC first. There is NO NEED to have a reservation already had a cert attached. The ONLY WAY is to convert your OC to NC first. It can be done. Many have done it already without the need to have a reservation first.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Oh, oh! It looks like they may have locked down cancellation of at least new travel packages for now.

I have an NC5 cert for 135k that I was attempting to cancel and change to the QP91 cat 5 105k cert with a 30k points refund. The agent was happy to process the change but the system would not allow him to cancel the NC5 (QP88) cert. He escalated to his manager who did not know the reason and they escalated to upper management and were told that the system has been updated to not allow travel package cancellations for now. They said it should be allowed again after September 18th.

This is different from last week when some agents claimed cancellations were not allowed but other agents were able to process cancellations. Now it appears the system has locked out cancellations of TP certs, at least new certs but I would suspect old certs too, until such time as their system has been updated for something, possibly 9/18.

ETA: He did ask me if I needed the cert attached to a res within the next two weeks. If I had they were going to go through hoops to attach my current cert, lock out changes, make notes so when the system allows cert changes again they could manually credit my account with 30k points (difference from QP88 to QP91). So, they would go out of their way to make sure I could use the cert immediately then fix up the points refund issue later which I thought was very decent of them. I hope post 9/18 things actually work again.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Aug 28, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees

You can get your cert back. Make sure to call Marriott Rewards department and not the general reservations. Make it clear it was their error. With this TP cert fiasco whenever I have pointed out the problems were all due to Marriott's error(s) they helped me, eventually. The first time they botched up when the agent said there was nothing she could do to fix Marriott's mistake I told her in no uncertain terms that she would need to connect me to a supervisor which she did and the supervisor then "fixed" it. And, by "fixed" it, I mean he thought he fixed it but he made a mistake and had upgraded my package from an OC8 (NC5) to an OC9 (NC6) and charged me 30k points for the upgrade which was wasted on me since I only needed an NC5 hotel. But, at least he tried and a few days and many calls later I am whole again with my replacement NC5 cert in my account and points exactly where they were before they cancelled my cert.
After several calls, finally found someone to help to get my OC5 back. But still can’t convert it into NC4 , i think I should wait until 18/09 and call again . Thinking to stay at Phuket during CNY with my cert
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ai-yang-beach/
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung

After several calls, finally found someone to help to get my OC5 back. But still can’t convert it into NC4 , i think I should wait until 18/09 and call again . Thinking to stay at Phuket during CNY with my cert
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ai-yang-beach/
You may want to make a point advance booking now to ensure you have the award in place. The hotel may not allow reward nights for CNY when they start to look at their inventory etc. Right now if it is available, book it first.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You may want to make a point advance booking now to ensure you have the award in place. The hotel may not allow reward nights for CNY when they start to look at their inventory etc. Right now if it is available, book it first.
Yeah, I did that already. )
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:52 pm

Has anyone’s old Cat 1-5 certificates convert (automatically) in their accounts or is it forthcoming? My old travel package certificates have not converted but the individual chase cc certificates converted to up to 25k (automatically).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
I have successfully converted my OC 1-5 to NC 1-4 and made a reservation for Oct. However, the rep is new to this and initially said they cannot do it. She did it eventually but took 1+ hours, and when I try to get her to upgrade my OC 6 to OC 7 and get an NC 5, she said they cannot. It seems that during her learning process for the first conversion, she saw notes saying that no upgrades allowed what so ever. If people want to upgrade, I suggest move quickly and apply the HUCA method. I will try more tomorrow.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
As a data point,I had OC6 attached to a reservation for next summer. I cancelled the reservation, the cert went back to my account.
i then called to make a new reservation at NC4 hotel, the rep had super do the work of cancelling the OC6, ordering NC4 and processing 30k refund.

The points didn't appear in my account until day or so later. The rep couldn't assign the NC to reservation and said I should call back. The cert was still in my account.

Next day I called and cheerful rep said attachment is done in a couple of minutes. Now the NC4 is no longer get listed in my account, but the reservation still says an ecert needs to be ordered.

I am not too worried, still plenty of time to sort this out until December.
Just a DP.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:29 pm

I cancelled a reservation with an attached 7 night cert online on Friday and the certificate was immediately returned to my account. The returned cert says " 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels" and is still for the old categories. My experience seems to differ from others who saw their certs involuntarily returned as points. My cert had been manually attached to my reservation by an agent -- I don't know if that explains the difference in outcome.

I want to apply the cert for a different stay that is after the cert's current expiration date. Based on what I've read here, seems like I should wait until after 9/18 to request both conversion of the old cert to the new categories as well as an extension of the expiration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.