Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seankearns
I just can't get over the lack of communication. It's honestly mind blowing. No emails to package holders before a month-long blackout, no notice of any rule changes, no information on what happens to floater packages until it's already happened. Then the fixes are just as bad! It's been nine days since "Marriott Rewards Insider" and "Starwood Lurker IV" posted that the 30,000 refunds would happen and the blackout period for travel packages has ended. Nine days later and link we're supposed to request refunds through has been edited so it no longer has a dropdown for the package deals that we were told to fillout! No CSR's seem to have any clue about this happening and then "unhappening", the blackout period is still in place for all intents and purposes, yet some customers are able to HUCA until a CSR mashed it through the system. What a clusterf#&%
Oh, but they leak stuff to the bloggers, so we're all good, right?
Jennlynd likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by crimsona
Isn't that the whole point of peak rates? Plus, travel packs are great for peak season travel
The whole point of peak rates in points terms is for the loyalty program owner/operator to fleece its customers as much as it can.

Peak rates and peak dates aren’t the same thing. And peak dates don’t create peak availability of “standard rooms”; but peak dates may mean availability for those “standard rooms” is likely low and/or rates high for those “standard rooms” as a consequence of peak demand hitting those dates or of Marriott just wanting to charge more because it can.

Three-tier pricing for award space ends up being just another way to fleece the loyalty program customers wanting to redeem points for travel. Saw it with the airlines, now see it even more with Marriott.
Explore SE Asia and Jennlynd like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's unclear how Marriott will actually implement "peak" periods.

At one point, they said something to the effect that hotels cannot have more than 50% of the days of the year be "peak". They probably said that as a way of assuring us that a property in, say, Hawaii wouldn't just call all 365 days a year "peak". But the more cynical view is this: probably 90% of the hotels in the entire Marriott portfolio have a peak season that is much shorter than 50% of the year. Will these hotels exploit the 50% rule to block out half the year as "peak"?

This is an area where I'd have greater trust if Starwood was running the show. They historically were tight on what they called a "special" demand period, whereas Marriott generally let its hotels do whatever the hell they wanted in terms of declaring exceptions and opting themselves out of program rules. The peak/non-peak thing could easily go the same way.

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of complaints next year about peak award pricing during months when a given hotel is not actually in any kind of peak demand at all. It's just a big stealth category creep.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by seankearns
I just can't get over the lack of communication. It's honestly mind blowing. No emails to package holders before a month-long blackout, no notice of any rule changes, no information on what happens to floater packages until it's already happened. Then the fixes are just as bad! It's been nine days since "Marriott Rewards Insider" and "Starwood Lurker IV" posted that the 30,000 refunds would happen and the blackout period for travel packages has ended. Nine days later and link we're supposed to request refunds through has been edited so it no longer has a dropdown for the package deals that we were told to fillout! No CSR's seem to have any clue about this happening and then "unhappening", the blackout period is still in place for all intents and purposes, yet some customers are able to HUCA until a CSR mashed it through the system. What a clusterf#&%
There was an email pre merger on August 10 telling me about the month long blackout. If after September 18 they haven't communicated and packages still arent redeemable, then its time to get angry.

I agree that Marriott has serious a communication problem since the merger. I wouldn't be surprised if on September 18 parts of the information that has been scattered through different sources ends up being false.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by sgan317
There was an email pre merger on August 10 telling me about the month long blackout. If after September 18 they haven't communicated and packages still arent redeemable, then its time to get angry.

I agree that Marriott has serious a communication problem since the merger. I wouldn't be surprised if on September 18 parts of the information that has been scattered through different sources ends up being false.
The only thing I saw was from Starwood letting me know the site would be down on the 18th of August.

Well one thing for sure is it's going to be an interesting few months as this all plays out. I've pretty much resigned to the fact that we're not likely to see a satisfactory solution to travel packages by the 18th of September. Then we'll another round of category bumps/peak pricing in 2019 which won't be pretty. I'd love to be proven wrong, but since I'm about to renew platinum I've started moving my spend to Hilton so that I can match to Diamond and then have the flexibility next year after I review the landscape. Gotta hedge the bets!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sgan317

I'd be shocked if certificates are working seamlessly on Sep 18. People may start to lawyer up at that point if things aren't going as planned.
sgan317 likes this.

Last edited by kapooncha; Aug 29, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:13 pm

The only thing that Marriott made clear was the new Travel Package rates that caused a huge run on Travel Package redemptions. That was their plan; get points off the books at a desirable rate for them. It is a pump'n dump scam.

1 - Create huge demand under the guise of needed because of merger
2 - Establish deadline and blackout period
3 - Withhold information (new category map)
4 - Misinform (CSRs telling lies or making things up)
5 - Analyze redemption data after the deadline date and release an optimal new category map to mitigate losses
6 - Use blackout period to let furry fade
7 - Juice media (travel bloggers) to put out all is better posts that are not true
8 - All blows over and you have taken a huge amount of points off books and with your consumers settling for what they got
9 - Hope that being such a huge market player post-merger that your customer defection numbers will be low
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
QP80 is the +30k conversion (from Nick's work). Same as QP88 and I presume 96.

OC5->NC4-45 QP83
OC6->NC4-75 QP80
OC7->NC5-105 QP91
OC8->NC5-135 QP88
OC9->NC6-165 QP99
OCT3->NC6-195 QP96
OCT5->NC7-315 QP107

The last two are guesses.

Few data points suggest that upgrades and downgrades are being allowed based on the point values attached to the category designation. Maybe this is by design for implementation after Sept18, maybe a one time only, or maybe something allowed in the system but not supposed to happen. Might be worth attempting to upgrade if that is your aim before that option is closed, if in fact it will be.

Wow lots of data in this thread since I last checked. I have 2 certs - can either be upgraded??

Both are old category 5 - 5 night.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:16 pm

Below is a link to an article from Quartz covering all the issues with the merger and Marriott's top tier customers. Regarding travel packages it has the following:

"Another user started a Facebook page titled Marriott Rewards Fraud, in regards to a conversion error for travel packages. It has handily amassed more than 3,000 followers since August 19, though Marriott told Quartz it has since rectified the issue."

https://qz.com/work/1373177/the-marr...holders-irate/
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:37 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I see you guys are making a lot progress with the TPs.

I just wonder if there is any DP about NC to another NC movement. Say, I attached a TP to a NC-5 property. Now I like to detach and attach again to another NC-5 property. The two properties had different old categories. I've not seen any DP here. I'm not interested in getting back the original MR points. Not sure if this would be doable after 9/18.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:56 pm

Marriott finally completed one of my downgrade requests from the Contact Us submission form. After a few canned responses, finally got someone to issue me a new Cat 1-4 in exchange for my OC6 and provide a 30k point refund. The nice thing is that I didn't have to make any calls or deal with rep roulette after the wait times.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:17 pm

Marriott must stop this ridiculous black out period. A month long black out is something I never heard before.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT & Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Request to add to the wiki: A summary / fill in the blank of steps with the syntax and codes to be used to get a rep to convert an OC to a NC?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by paulsalem
Request to add to the wiki: A summary / fill in the blank of steps with the syntax and codes to be used to get a rep to convert an OC to a NC?
I think this would help too. Especially if "what do you want to attempt to do" is the first step:

* Downgrade 1 category (OC) and get 30K point refund and the NC based on the new map (i.e. OC8 > OC7 > NC5 +30K refund)

* Upgrade 1 category at the old travel package rate and get the NC based on the new map (i.e. OC8 > OC9 > NC6 @ 30K cost)

* Total travel package refund minus airfare (i.e. OC8 > 135K refund)

Not sure how many "I want to..." starting places there needs to be, but downgrade/upgrade 1 category and the full refund is a start.
paulsalem likes this.

Last edited by LDoc; Aug 29, 2018 at 10:25 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Willbur
Marriott finally completed one of my downgrade requests from the Contact Us submission form. After a few canned responses, finally got someone to issue me a new Cat 1-4 in exchange for my OC6 and provide a 30k point refund. The nice thing is that I didn't have to make any calls or deal with rep roulette after the wait times.
Did you contact the department that the bloggers said to email or someone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.