Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by esdot
1. The speculation that Marriott didn't disclose because there would be windfalls to be had turned out to be true.
2. The casual Marriott member who was not looking to how to game the system sees absolutely no loss across the board. None lost value. Some received windfalls.
3. The windfalls were: (i) Old Cat 1-5 (with hotel point value of 150k) being bumped to New Cat 1-4 (with hotel point value of 180k), (ii) Old Cat 7 (210k) to New Cat 5 (240k), (iii) Old Cat 9 (270k) to New Cat 6 (360k), and (iv) T1-3 (300k) to New Cat 6 (360k).
4. The complaints come from people who were looking to maximize value. I think Marriott can live with that. "I paid 300k points for 360k points in value, but someone else paid 270k points to get the same deal." Marriott can legitimately say "We were generous to both of you. The certificate Old Cat 8s were given costs 60k more than the certificate they had. We were more generous to someone else. So what?"
5. To those who do not think it is "fair" to use peak pricing, there is no basis for the complaint. As of today (and as announced for some time), new travel packages are based on peak pricing. Old certificates are being converted to new certificates. The peak pricing is consistently applied.
6. Outrage really shouldn't be directed at Marriott but at bloggers who fueled unreasonable expectations. All the gamblers knew that, as mentioned in point 1, the speculation that turned out to be true was that windfalls were to be had, which explains the timing of the announcement. Had people been on the right side of the gamble, they would have understood the reason for and excused the timing. The speculation that was proved fantasy (and unreasonable, in my opinion, to begin with) was to promote "Old Cat 7 equals New Cat 7" or baseless "C-2" theories.
100% agree on everything.

Regardless of which package you hold, at worst you haven't received as good of a deal as some have, but at the very least you're in the same situation now that you were before in terms of points spent. There are no losers here.

People have had unrealistic expectations all along, the blogs were advertising the travel packages as if they were the deal of the century and now people are disappointed because they're only getting what they've paid for. If people had based their decision on logic rather than speculation then no one would be complaining.

Case in point:
Originally Posted by eethan
The Cat 8 package I bought was valid at hotels costing 40k per night.
[...]
Category 6 hotels is where I was planning my future travel around.
So you bought an old Category 8 package (40k points per night) hoping to use it at the new Category 6 properties (50k points per night), and now you're upset because Marriott won't let you. How dare they!
JustinTJ likes this.

Last edited by mk712; Aug 19, 2018 at 12:44 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
apples and oranges. Marriott withheld information. They were selling these packages up to the minute IT brought the system down.

as for windfall... exactly what windfall was i expecting when i spent 540,000 points- the most expensive package that booked the most expensive RC. now, come 1.1.19, it's no longer top tier. historically these packages have been extendable for at least a year past initial expiration, and a 540,000 point package was always going to get you the top tier in the program. we were told by marriott reps that top spg would be bookable at top tier. now top tier has been moved to, what... tippy top tier to screw anyone who shelled out a s-load of points?!?!? as Stan would say, 'that's pretty f-ed up right there'.
​​​
Something is f’ed up, but it wasn’t announced today.

Yes, Marriott withheld information. And yes, Marriott sold packages until the final moment. But what package sold certificates that lost value in terms of points? An Old Cat 8 certificate cost exactly 240k points in the retired packages, and a New Cat 5 certificate costs exactly 240k points in the new packages.

Did the certificate lose value in terms of redemption power? Possibly and probably but not indisputably yes. I understand many are irked or pissed. But your response highlights what I feel is a slight confusion of where anger should be directed. My prior analogy might not be perfect, but the point I was trying to make is this: there is a massive devaluation of Marriott’s top-end redemptions.

In prior years and category reclassifications, if a T1-3 property became a T4-5, a T1-3 certificate had no right to book the reclassified T4-5. The new categories effectively added what can best be visualized as a T6, T7, and T8. Again, yes, you had the most expensive “top tier certificate,” but Marriott made the prior top tier mid tier. The T4-5 certificate has no claim to book a newly enacted T6, T7, or T8.

I do not think Marriott’s timing in announcing the changes was intended to fleece us. I think the intent was the same as the implementation of the delayed Category 8 and peak pricing. It wants to distract from the massive devaluation of Marriott’s top-end properties.

Perhaps I could articulate it better when I said some were hopeful for windfalls. But there are two separate issues. First, the massive devaluation is plain. The buying power of your points, as a applied to top-tier properties, was nerfed. Second, the mapping of old to new certs was a mystery. The buying power of your certs was uncertain, but the hopeful windfall I’m talking about was thinking that a “fair” mapping would exempt you from the massive devaluation.

No old category or tier maps to the new top tier, either in the travel package conversion or otherwise. As mentioned above, Marriott made the prior top tier mid tier. “now top tier has been moved to, what... tippy top tier to screw anyone who shelled out a s-load of points?!?!?” Yes, tippy top tier. But not to screw anyone who shelled out points but as a byproduct of the massive devaluation. “historically these packages have been extendable for at least a year past initial expiration, and a 540,000 point package was always going to get you the top tier in the program.” That was the old program. “we were told by marriott reps that top spg would be bookable at top tier.” This to me explains why Cat 8 is delayed because it does remain true as of today.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:08 am

Here's another way to look at this: how much would the package that you received through the conversion cost you if you were to buy it today, compared to how much you paid for it before the conversion?

Here's a quick chart I made in 2 minutes. For simplicity's sake I used the 100k packages since the 120k packages don't exist anymore, but that works to your advantage since the extra 20k miles only cost you 20k Marriott points.

So regardless of which package you received, if you were to buy that same package today you would be paying at the very least 50k more points.

Of course you can argue that the new packages aren't as good of a deal and you wouldn't have bought them at today's prices, but my point is that instead of worrying about how much better the conversion could have been, you should be content that you bought one of the old packages while it was still possible to do so because all of them were a better deal than what you'll get from now on.

Last edited by mk712; Aug 19, 2018 at 1:30 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:35 am

Just to add... this will by my last year as an SPG platinum or Marriott platinum elite or whatever. That isn't based on today's announcement. That is based on the devaluation of the program. SPG, I loved you! Legacy Marriott travel packages, I'll miss you, too!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Remember when Travel Packages were just a niche topic on the forums?
Those were the salad days.
LOL!
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, Krisflyer Gold, HHonors Gold
I feel sorry not for those who have "lost out" as a result of the travel packages, but for the front line call centre and hotel employees who will in the coming days and weeks bear the brunt of many disgruntled Marriott/SPG members who feel cheated (rightly or wrongly).

Please remember that its not those on the front line who made these decisions but management, so regardless of how you feel now, its another human being on the other side who will be dealing with your claims.

SPG is gone, the new program is here, but the sun will come up tomorrow and life will go on.
cruisr and Adelphos like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by osotoc
Remember when Travel Packages were just a niche topic on the forums?
Those were the salad days.
LOL!
And now these are the dressing days, with Marriott having applied an arguably tasteless or bad dressing to the salad and given a chunk of its biggest point-collecting customers a dressing down.

The salad and dressing is so yummy, that no one is complaining and no one feels burned by the way Marriot handles this situation. After all, Marriott is always fair from the start.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:23 am

Screw Marriott. I got lucky and bought cat 5 and 7 certainly. I feel for the 6 and 8 people. Hilton all the way! Marriott are bloody backstabbing .......s.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I feel for the people who upgraded their packages, just to end up with the same category after conversion.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Did anyone try cancelling a hotel reservation that has an e-certificate attached ? My old cat 7 cert is attached to SpringHill Suites Zion National Park which is now new cat 6 and I'm wondering if a new cat 6 cert will be returned to me if I cancel the reservation.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder

And now these are the dressing days, with Marriott having applied an arguably tasteless or bad dressing to the salad and given a chunk of its biggest point-collecting customers a dressing down.

The salad and dressing is so yummy, that no one is complaining and no one feels burned by the way Marriot handles this situation. After all, Marriott is always fair from the start.
ha. That’s a great extension of the metaphor.

Of course if FlyerTalk forums weren’t full of upset loyalist, would they be this much fun to read.
Luckiky we are just talking about hotel and hotel rooms. 😆
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Did anyone try cancelling a hotel reservation that has an e-certificate attached ? My old cat 7 cert is attached to SpringHill Suites Zion National Park which is now new cat 6 and I'm wondering if a new cat 6 cert will be returned to me if I cancel the reservation.
Old Cat 7 will be new Cat 5. Why would you expect anything otherwise?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:03 am

So I’m no longer able to upgrade these certificates for 30k points?

I have a 1-5, now(1-4) and I want to stay at a 6 Am I out of luck if I can upgrade?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Old Cat 7 will be new Cat 5. Why would you expect anything otherwise?
Some Marriott phone reps told customers things that created the expectation that Old Cat 7 certs would be applicable to New Cat 7 properties. Is Marriott going to destroy all the recorded phone call evidence discussing this?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mk712
Here's another way to look at this: how much would the package that you received through the conversion cost you if you were to buy it today, compared to how much you paid for it before the conversion?

Here's a quick chart I made in 2 minutes. For simplicity's sake I used the 100k packages since the 120k packages don't exist anymore, but that works to your advantage since the extra 20k miles only cost you 20k Marriott points.

So regardless of which package you received, if you were to buy that same package today you would be paying at the very least 50k more points.

Of course you can argue that the new packages aren't as good of a deal and you wouldn't have bought them at today's prices, but my point is that instead of worrying about how much better the conversion could have been, you should be content that you bought one of the old packages while it was still possible to do so because all of them were a better deal than what you'll get from now on.
This! Sure Marriott maybe could have done things a bit differently, and in the end I have a feeling that they’ll refund the 30k point differences, but they could have easily stopped selling the legacy travel package certificates when they announced they were going to raise the prices. In which case I’m sure people would have complained. Threatening to move hotel chains completely, class actions, etc. seems way over the top considering anyone that bought a TP since it was announced they were changing is getting a significantly better deal than someone who were to buy a new TP today, just maybe not as much of a better deal as they thought. First world problems for sure.

I think the only people that have legitimate complaints are those that bought the TP’s prior to the announcement of the changes to TP costs in the new program. And I’m sure that number is FAR less than the number of people that bought them since, fueled by blogger and forum hysteria.
cruisr and JustinTJ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.