Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:54 am

As an aside, I've just noticed that the Points price of all my existing reservations where I had yet to attach a certificate or pay points, have increased/decreased to the new rate. I had understood that all existing reservations would stay at the reserved rate...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Here is the problem - a property you would intend to stay. None of those goes up to 35K or even higher is the property at where I would intend to go. just sayin.

Not to rub it in or anything. I managed to find an Old Cat 8 hotel mapping to New Cat 6 that I wanted to stay in, and that was available for the 7 days I wanted.

I upgraded my Old Cat 1-5 to a Cat 8, and booked it 3 days before 8/18.

So now I’m quite pleased. If I had left it unattached I would not have been able to book that hotel which is now a Cat 6 and my cert now being a Cat 5.

So at least for me, this “gamble” worked out OK.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
As an aside, I've just noticed that the Points price of all my existing reservations where I had yet to attach a certificate or pay points, have increased/decreased to the new rate. I had understood that all existing reservations would stay at the reserved rate...
Hadn’t you already had only the “old” amount deducted? I believe this is how it’s always been - the reservation would “show” the new amount, but one had only “paid” the old amount.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:18 am

On the bright side, all Cat 6, 8 and Tier one may still have a chance of good will 30k refund or extension of certificate.

If the new conversion is already available why would we not be able to book something till September 18th? Does it really take one month for Marriott to change the certificates for us?

Perhaps it is a planned announcement. Get people upset, then make people"whole" again and then people will stay or become a Marriott loyalist.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils

Hadn’t you already had only the “old” amount deducted? I believe this is how it’s always been - the reservation would “show” the new amount, but one had only “paid” the old amount.
I've got the same thing going on - reservation was made but no deduction for three reservations in December-January made on Thursday. The website was buggy so it would make the reservation but didn't deduct points and wouldn't let me buy a certificate, but the reservation did say the certificate would automatically be bought 7 days before check in. I have emails indicating the points price of the reservation at the old price. Now that website shows the new price. I didn't have time to call, but now I may have to at some point...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils

They changed all the Points Advance reservations to the new amount. That was unexpected.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by claurianta2
I've got the same thing going on - reservation was made but no deduction for three reservations in December-January made on Thursday. The website was buggy so it would make the reservation but didn't deduct points and wouldn't let me buy a certificate, but the reservation did say the certificate would automatically be bought 7 days before check in. I have emails indicating the points price of the reservation at the old price. Now that website shows the new price. I didn't have time to call, but now I may have to at some point...
Whoops missed where the previous poster said they hadn’t been deducted yet. But even that I think was the case in the past, no? You would just have to call if it deducted the wrong amount.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Those that bought old cat 6 package I believe really lost out, even comparing to the new devalued travel package.

Old Cat 6 travel package Cost 300K points = New cat 1 to 4 + 85K most international airline miles.
Currently new devalued CAT 1 to 4 cost 330k points. But we get 110K airline miles.

So basically, the difference is only 30 points and you get extra 25K airline miles.
If you convert 30k points, we'll get 12.5K miles, which is still 12.5K miles less than the current Cat 5 travel package. So, for the same 330k miles, you get 85K miles + 12.5K miles, for a total of only 97.5K miles. Which is still 12.5K less miles.

So, basically if you bought an old Cat 6 travel package, you actually lost out on 12.5k miles even compared to the new more costly travel package. And I got 3 Cat 6 travel package from points it took me quite a while to collect. Let just hope Marriott gives us a refund of 30k or lets us cancel the purchase.
EDIflyer and MasterGeek like this.

Last edited by SC Alum; Aug 19, 2018 at 6:56 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by SC Alum
Those that bought old cat 6 package I believe really lost out, even comparing to the new devalued travel package.

Old Cat 6 travel package Cost 300K points = New cat 1 to 4 + 85K most international airline miles.
I'm pretty sure most people got either 132K (United) or 120K miles on the original purchase.
travelswithmyself and mk712 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA

Regardless, it's VERY clear how much Marriott values their most loyal travelers and business travelers; they don't.

If this policy holds, we're taking our business elsewhere and informing my husband's corporate travel department about it. His company has over 50,000 employees, many of whom travel for business regularly. They take treatment of their employees by hotel chains very seriously, and they've dropped hotels from their booking list because of lesser issues than this.
sorry, this is just funny. Let us know if the travel department cares about your bet re: leisure travel that didn't pan out my guess is pretty good at this point ... they will laugh all day

With plenty of time time did they announce new hotel rates and mappings and made it clear that you will have to re-book at new values post August 18. This is also true when you gain ... some hotels go down and I will re-book some stays; they are refunding points in these cases. So anyway, thanks for making me laugh this morning.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I'm pretty sure most people got either 132K (United) or 120K miles on the original purchase.
Original purchase only got 85K miles if you convert to most international airlines. I converted to SQ which I believe had better service & saver fare miles.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I have not seen this discussed. What's the impact on the 5 night packages available to MVCI owners?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cfischer
sorry, this is just funny. Let us know if the travel department cares about your bet re: leisure travel that didn't pan out my guess is pretty good at this point ... they will laugh all day

With plenty of time time did they announce new hotel rates and mappings and made it clear that you will have to re-book at new values post August 18.
Fiction doesn’t impress me as much as the truth, and the facts are that Marriott didn’t announce the category mappings for TP certs until this weekend. I don’t call that “plenty of time”, but then again I’m not in the game to be a Marriott defender when it does wrong by its customers In at least parts.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Fiction doesn’t impress me as much as the truth, and the facts are that Marriott didn’t announce the category mappings for TP certs until this weekend. I don’t call that “plenty of time”, but then again I’m not in the game to be a Marriott defender when it does wrong by its customers In at least parts.
Here's what's so crazy about this situation. Two or three months ago they could have published this exact same table--maybe even map the Cat 9 to new Cat 6--and do blast e-mails to all TP holders that this is what is going to happen and that you have time to adjust as needed before the conversion and that you should do so because you won't be able to adjust afterwards.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder

That is what was was 'complained' about in the post that I commented on but anyway ... I am sure we will see plenty of whining ... I'll have the cheese ready

Booked 2 TPs and have them attached. These will be 100% honored. All the other stuff was 'guessing games' and 'hoping' they would allow for the best of both worlds ... well, they did not. Some you win and some you don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.