Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
I may have missed it in the flurry of posts over the past 24 hrs, but what are peoples' interpretation on the "max value" of TCs as of Jan.1, 2019?
For example, will a new Cat 1-4 with 30K max value be usable on a Cat 5 property in Off Season (30k)?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
I may have missed it in the flurry of posts over the past 24 hrs, but what are peoples' interpretation on the "max value" of TCs as of Jan.1, 2019?
For example, will a new Cat 1-4 with 30K max value be usable on a Cat 5 property in Off Season (30k)?
No. They've simply been converted to the new travel packages which may be used for any night with availability including peak nights.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Here's what's so crazy about this situation. Two or three months ago they could have published this exact same table--maybe even map the Cat 9 to new Cat 6--and do blast e-mails to all TP holders that this is what is going to happen and that you have time to adjust as needed before the conversion and that you should do so because you won't be able to adjust afterwards.
They indeed could have done that weeks ago, but they chose not to do so. Withholding such information from customers doesn’t inspire confidence in Marriott following its so-called “Golden Rule” when dealing with customers.

Marriott has claimed a one-month break for itself with regard to at least some TPs. In the near future they could potentially try to right some of the wrong they’ve done to disappointed customers of the TPs, but I am not counting on it — for Marriott has money on the table to gain, in the short term especially, from short-changing the TP recipients.

Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:23 am

These travel packages are not the only davluation! I’m pissed cuz this is one of the too many! Member benefits, prices artificially manipulated higher and now they are “lower”
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:25 am

I want my refund too!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
I knew I was taking a big gamble with my Cat 6 package. I’m really not going to have much use for a 1-4 stay — at this point I’m hoping that they will still allow me to refund the hotel portion for 75K back. Won’t be the windfall I was rolling the dice for, but at least I’ll have received 132K UA miles for 225K Marriott points, which I see as a fair trade.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

They indeed could have done that weeks ago, but they chose not to do so. Withholding such information from customers doesn’t inspire confidence in Marriott following its so-called “Golden Rule” when dealing with customers.

Marriott has claimed a one-month break for itself with regard to at least some TPs. In the near future they could potentially try to right some of the wrong they’ve done to disappointed customers of the TPs, but I am not counting on it — for Marriott has money on the table to gain, in the short term especially, from short-changing the TP recipients.

Here's what I suspect happened. They had a number of conversion options on the table--that's part of why we got confusing signals including from Starwood Lurker about points conversion. In the last week, they decided to pull the trigger on the "screw the TP holders" option. That also triggered the "no upgrade, downgrade" requirement because if they are going to allow that they pretty much would have to give the old Cat 6 and Cat 8 holders 30K credit for an upgrade (or give them 30K points for a downgrade I suppose).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:38 am

The comparison to what the new travel packages cost is irrelevant, we didn't buy those. No one will buy those, especially in 2018.

The lawsuit talk is equally silly, as most didn't pay for the points. Not too much sympathy for those who bought a bunch of travel packages and don't have the vacation / desire to use them on stays in the next year.

If Marriott announced in advanced and gave people time to adjust, this would be yawn.

Those just asking for 30k back are setting the bar too low. You lost out on 30% of hotels overnight without notice. Marriott historically has given 1 month advanced notice with specifics on any hotel price changes.

That said, assuming the adjusted instrument is new travel package certs, fair adjustments would be:
1) Refund the equivalent hotel points for 6 old standard nights (e.g. 180k for Cat6). Don't make the 'max rate' 'value' assumption for people without notice.
2) Round up Cat6->Cat5, Cat8->Cat6, Cat9->Cat7, T5->Cat8. That updates old hotel coverage from:to 71%:99%, 70%:99%, 76%:99%, 83%:100%, and 21%:100% respectively. Don't bait and switch on hotels you can use your cert at the next day without notice.
3) Allow one time upgrade, downgrade or reservation at the old levels. This would allow for an 'advanced notice' decision. Since they can't be bought anymore, there is no 'run on' travel packages risk.

Any of those would be acceptable at this point.

The blackout window is mind boggling given they went with an instrument that already exists.

My recommendation is to wait until the official announcement comes, then start filing BBB complaints. I'd aim high, golden rule style, by saying you purchased at Cat6 cert last week and now are being told without notice it can't be used on Cat6 properties.
EDIflyer and uvasteph like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:40 am

Just logged in the site trying to book Aloft, was taken to SPG site,with new points cost under the new system, which is good.

BUT:
Now "MY ROOM PREFERENCES" has the following options:
* Near the elevator
* On a low floor ( I know I've always wanted a high floor)
* Feather-free
REQUEST CHANGES:
:* I'm confirmed with 1 bed but I would prefer 2 beds if available

I am not absolutely positive but I think the option(s) have changed to the opposite of what they uses to be? anyone remembered?
Will they now consider the previous options an upgrade? It's hard to believe they will throw in the options by default.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
The blackout window is mind boggling given they went with an instrument that already exists.
I have a guess as to why this happened, actually. If you go into your account you'll see that any floating TP cert still shows as the old style certificate. My suspicion is that they needed to lock down all activity, give themselves time for more pressing integration issues, and then go through the entire reservation database and flag all old TPs currently attached as new TPs of the correct value so that if those reservations are modified the TP reverts to its converted level.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I have a guess as to why this happened, actually. If you go into your account you'll see that any floating TP cert still shows as the old style certificate. My suspicion is that they needed to lock down all activity, give themselves time for more pressing integration issues, and then go through the entire reservation database and flag all old TPs currently attached as new TPs of the correct value so that if those reservations are modified the TP reverts to its converted level.
Don't disagree, doing the conversion automatically will take some new code. But currently attaching/making reservation with new certs is a manual process. They currently have the ability to cancel an old cert, create a new cert and attach a new cert - all of which is required to be done manually, so they should be able to do that for the converted certs if someone wants to make or modify a reservation.

If one could purchase and attach a travel package online, then I'd understand a delay relating to the low usage features not all being ready, not that I'd agree with it.

We'll see how the availability looks at some of the higher end properties now and in a month to see if it ended up mattering (did aspirational properties have then lose standard award room availability in that time period).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
We'll see how the availability looks at some of the higher end properties now and in a month to see if it ended up mattering (did aspirational properties have then lose standard award room availability in that time period).
Well, since the SPG properties can't be booked through Points Advance it is entirely possible that the month is due, in part, to keeping the dirty, low-class travel packages from sucking up many weeks of reward stays!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: all
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
LOL. You think a major corporation has to bargain hunt? That shows how much you know about corporate hotel accounts with large companies. For companies the size of my husband's, all major hotel chains know exactly what that company's per diem for hotels are in each area, and they typically establish a special corporate rate that meets that per diem rate. Going with other chains does NOT cost that company a penny more. So, yes, his company can advise its employees to go with other chains or notify their travel bookers to avoid a certain chain. They can also send internal company memos to that effect. As I said, they've done so before.
Yeah I can see it. ) Absolutely Drop Marriott based on this and change to who? You think other Marriott road warriors in the company who are not upset about the .0001% category 6 TP will not object to switching away from Marriott. Or all your husbands friends are also upset.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW
Here are 2 lone DPs I came across on the comment sections of 2 blogs

1) On OMAAT here is this post under Lucky's article
EricAstray says:August 18, 2018 at 8:37 pm Just FYI, just now I cancelled my 7 night cat 6 certificate for 75k Marriott points. The refunded points are already in my account.
I guess 75k SPG points for 120k AS miles is still not a bad conversion:/

2) On the Chinese version of this blog (it does not have exact time stamp but the DP was at the top if you sort by Newest)
https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/ma...ravel-package/
Ashur4 hours ago
已经打过去问了如果cate6的话合并结束会退回 30000分

Google translate : I have already called and asked if cate6 will return 30,000 points if the merger ends.

So the action should be CALL Marriott to find out options they have not official said versus wasting time here.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:22 am

just logged in to my MR account & checked my certs:

* Premier Visa Anniv. 1 Free Nt up to 25,000 Points - this is the annual Chase MR cert, used to say cat 1-5
* Lifecycle Free Night Award - Good for a free night up to 20,000 Points (valid 12 months) - earned certs, used to say cat 1-4
* 7 Night Travel Package Category 6 Hotels - cat 6 TP with 300k pts, does not change

They were updated for sure, but the update done? or still in transit? They do not look like what I have read so far, it's possible i missed something...

Last edited by ddjen11; Aug 19, 2018 at 9:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.