Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Just tried to make a reservation at a SPG property using my TP cert and was told after 20 minutes on hold that it couldn't be completed right now. : (
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justned
which number did you call?
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Standard US Marriott Rewards number.
from the experiences of making about a doz calls incl those disconnected while on hold and those did not get any results, it does NOT really matter which number you call - the call just get routed to the First Available Slot in the phone network. Whether you get a competent rep is a PURE LUCK. Usually you can tell from the first few min of conversation whether the rep is willing to help. If that doesn't sound so, just yuca because you would most likely not go anywhere with such a rep. The unfortunate part is, even the rep is willing, s/he may not be competent , and the help desk rep s/he gets may not be willing, so the outcome is the same as an unwilling rep.
however there are some very good reps who can help but it is almost purely by chance you get one on the first few tries.
of all the years I used miles and points this has been the worst case of mess up and the worst case needed huca to eventually sorted things out.
it is much much worse than the CO/UA merger and dealing with Indian call centers.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by nikespex
Do we know yet what happens to certs detached from existing reservations? I had an Old Category 9 (Code P990) that I attached to Domes of Elounda before the merger for travel in May of 2019. Domes is now Cat 7 and will be Cat 8 in 2019. If I detach my cert, does it become a New Category 6 just like the floaters?
I am in a similar boat, but I found myself not wanting to stay the Domes for 7 nights. I am keeping my eyes on upgrading opportunities to New Category 7.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Just tried to make a reservation at a SPG property using my TP cert and was told after 20 minutes on hold that it couldn't be completed right now. : (
This is known. You just wasted your time. MR can't touch the TPs attached to reservations. All SPG reservations are still handled at SPG side. They have no access to Marriott TPs.

But MR points and SPG points are linked. You can certainly use the same currency to book either MR or SPG stays.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:40 am

Trying to catch up on the current info: I've seen quotes for the amount required to upgrade from NC1-4 to NC5 as 90K. Isn't that 30K extra for no reason? The difference between OC1-5 -> OC7 and NC1-4 -> NC5 is 60k in both scenarios..
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
This is known. You just wasted your time. MR can't touch the TPs attached to reservations. All SPG reservations are still handled at SPG side. They have no access to Marriott TPs.

But MR points and SPG points are linked. You can certainly use the same currency to book either MR or SPG stays.
The Marriott rep contacted the SPG rep and they tried to apply it together, but couldn't yet. This was an unattached cert trying to be attached for the first time.

While on hold, the Marriott rep updated my cert to say 'partial package - 7 nights category...'
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
The Marriott rep contacted the SPG rep and they tried to apply it together, but couldn't yet. This was an unattached cert trying to be attached for the first time.

While on hold, the Marriott rep updated my cert to say 'partial package - 7 nights category...'
May I ask do you see the ‘partial package...’ in your account?
Mr rep told me I had one in my account on her side but I didn’t see anything on my side

Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung

Mr rep told me I had one in my account on her side but I didn’t see anything on my side

When I was doing changes to packages before I merged accounts it would sometimes take overnight to reflect the cert in my account. Once I merged accounts it seems to show up within a minute or two. The app shows changes immediately so if you can't see it in the app you have a problem. The first thing to check is that you have an email that shows the cert was ordered and the associated code and point value (and there is not a follow up cancellation email). If it was not ordered you will not get a confirmation email. If you have a confirmation email but the cert is not showing in the app and it has been more than a day check your history to see what shows there. It sounds like something may not have processed properly.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
When I was doing changes to packages before I merged accounts it would sometimes take overnight to reflect the cert in my account. Once I merged accounts it seems to show up within a minute or two. The app shows changes immediately so if you can't see it in the app you have a problem. The first thing to check is that you have an email that shows the cert was ordered and the associated code and point value (and there is not a follow up cancellation email). If it was not ordered you will not get a confirmation email. If you have a confirmation email but the cert is not showing in the app and it has been more than a day check your history to see what shows there. It sounds like something may not have processed properly.
I got a confirmation email to inform they ordered me NC4 on 29/08 and the cert did show up in my app that day. But since 31/08 I found the cert disappeared, so I called the US number the rep told me as I said before. Totally no idea what happened. Now still no cert in app or website

Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung

Yes, I can see it.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Is there a way to upgrade my travel package? I got a cat 9 cert with intentions of using it in London (I've stayed at the Park Lane before). Now that is cat 7, which is more than my 9, which is only equivalent to a 6 now.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Yes. I would keep Domes if you're able, that is outsized value.
Is it really outsized value or has the resort somehow managed to be categorised higher than it should be? I’d be very interested in views from anyone who has stayed there. I have a TP attached to this property but I’m waiting for the dust to settle before detaching and booking elsewhere - and my impression is that several/many bookings were made at this property in main part because it was going from OC9 to NC8 (and following Greg’s lead from FM), which is a big jump in points requirement.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, Hilton, Chase
Originally Posted by UKunlimited

Is it really outsized value or has the resort somehow managed to be categorised higher than it should be? I’d be very interested in views from anyone who has stayed there. I have a TP attached to this property but I’m waiting for the dust to settle before detaching and booking elsewhere - and my impression is that several/many bookings were made at this property in main part because it was going from OC9 to NC8 (and following Greg’s lead from FM), which is a big jump in points requirement.
I'm at Domes of Elounda right now. I can say that it is the best hotel that I've had the pleasure of visiting. Truly phenomenal. If you have a 7 night stay available to you, I would recommend you take advantage of it.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I was following this thread closely but recent events have caused me to not have a chance to follow as closely. Please forgive me if I am repeating something already said here, but since Marriott encouraged folks to attach certificates, I wondered if it would become difficult to find 7 nights straight at certain properties, thereby making it difficult to use travel packages in a year.

I am holding a couple of 7-straight-night reservations, on points, unattached to certificates, that I do not need, but have held them in case they help someone else.

is it possible to transfer a points based reservation to another FTer who might need it? Is it messy to do? If it is possible, I will post what I have reservations for. If I recall correctly, one of my reservations may be for Domes of Elounda.

Last edited by sinfonia; Sep 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm Reason: Correcting auto-correct
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by gatorlitigator
I'm at Domes of Elounda right now. I can say that it is the best hotel that I've had the pleasure of visiting. Truly phenomenal. If you have a 7 night stay available to you, I would recommend you take advantage of it.
Wonder what is the reason for you start a new FT ID? Try to hide something? Just curious. No flame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.