Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jtp1947
The Maui timeshares are eligible for a points/certificate redemption but availability is almost nonexistent for a 5 or seven night stay. Do a flexible search on the Marriott site and you will see what I mean.
I’m betting that a lot of the unused 7 night certs are going to be hard to use as desired and that the secondary market for these certs is going to provide some with a diamond in the rough and others with a lump of coal.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
They WILL check after the fact. Marriott apparently is doing POST redemption AUDIT on 5 nights packages redeemed to verify eligibility. Whether they only check it randomly or on every one such redemption is anybody's guess. But They DO check and lock accounts once audit shows not eligible, pending further investigation.

If you are not eligible, your account will be audited even after you have been able to book one.
Just 3 days ago on a non-English site I read a fresh DP of account is locked under audit due to the account owner booked a 5 days package though not eligible to do so.
换小礼包帐户被audit
»»Ð¡Àñ°üÕÊ»§±»audit - δÃû¿Õ¼ä(mitbbs.com)

Many pages before in this thread someone also reported his account being audited and one of the 5 night cert was cancelled, additional points taken from his account to switch it to a 7 nights cert. Poster went all the way to Exec Office only to be told the Truth - you are not eligible for 5 nights package hence that is what we do. Seems Marriott is actually quite lenient without impose more penalty.
There are some data points posted in Reddit several weeks ago about their 5 night certs were revoked and accounts audited.

Proceed at your own risk. Just remember even if you succeeded to redeem the 5 nights package, the coast is not clear. Pray you will be lucky and your account not being audited later on.
I am curious as to what would Marriott do if the Member does not have enough points to be taken out of his account?
Once the Air Miles get posted, there is no way for Marriott to get them back and so how would Marriott convert that to a 7 night certificate.
Now if the member was lying, then that's on the member, but if a member asked the agent if he can book a 5 night package and the Agent does it, then that's on the Agent and there should be no penalty to the member.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by yuayua
Has anyone had any luck booking 5-night packages recently?
I was finally able to pry/snatch one out of Marriott's stubborn hands thanks to an unsuspecting agent about a week ago (not an MVC member/owner). I felt like a thief when the agent started processing it on the phone . That is following many failed attempts in the past.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Hard to keep track of everything on here... so a couple of quick questions:
  1. You can still call and book a Category 1-5 and 120,000 mile package? It looks like this is a yes? As a plat who should I call for this?
  2. Is there any risk of booking two of these and NOT applying to a reservation yet? Conversely, I'm still not clear on the upside?
I'm considering booking two of these certs if there is an upside as I'll be taking a 3 week trip to Europe next spring and will want 5 day stays as opposed to 7. Sorry if some of these have been answered explicitly already.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:39 pm

Update based on OMAAT

When our loyalty programs unify on August 18, our new Travel Package award chart here, will go into effect and members will be able to book for packages at all 6,700 of our hotels.

However, if you currently have a Travel Package Certificate that’s not yet attached to a hotel reservation, you have the following options:
  • If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.
  • If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018.
Please note that you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one between August 18 and September 18, 2018.

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...ckages-update/
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:51 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Rewards

How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18

On 8/18, our new Travel Package offering will launch along with our new loyalty program. After our loyalty programs become one, our new Travel Package award chart will go into effect and members will be able to book for packages at all 6,700 of our hotels.

If you currently have a Travel Package Certificate that’s not yet attached to a hotel reservation, you have the following options:

- If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.

- If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018.

Please note that you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one between August 18 and September 18, 2018. Please plan accordingly.

Do not hesitate to reach out with questions. We look forward to making this transition as smooth as possible.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Update based on OMAAT

When our loyalty programs unify on August 18, our new Travel Package award chart here, will go into effect and members will be able to book for packages at all 6,700 of our hotels.

However, if you currently have a Travel Package Certificate that’s not yet attached to a hotel reservation, you have the following options:
  • If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.
  • If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018.
Please note that you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one between August 18 and September 18, 2018.

Would be nice to see some sort of official communication from Marriott to everyone with an active (either attached or not attached) certificate. Otherwise I take everything that is posted on this topic with a Costco-sized grain of salt.
imverge and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:57 pm
Suspended

So you won't be able to ATTACH LEGACY CERTIFICATES between Aug. 18 and Sept. 18 ?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Since this is a actually a duplicate thread to one in the SPG forum, discussion can go on there or in the Marriott Travel Package thread in the Marriott forum.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Update based on OMAAT

Looks like I'll be able to use my two unattached then after 18 Sept. I'm still thinking my Cat 1-5 will at least match to the new Cat 4 which I will use in Asia, where there are some really great eligible properties per the new award chart.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

So Marriott really doesn't want to tell us how they are going to handle floating certs from the old travel packages.
I guess if Marriott was going to give out points for floating certs then they would not need to freeze the certs for a month nor allow people to use them after a month.
Now I think it's fairly obvious that the old certs are NOT going to be returned in the form of points, and somehow old certs will be converted to new ones.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by COMike78
Would be nice to see some sort of official communication from Marriott to everyone with an active (either attached or not attached) certificate. Otherwise I take everything that is posted on this topic with a Costco-sized grain of salt.
That first link also does not inspire a great deal of confidence since it looks nothing like an official Marriott site...

All of these travel bloggers are falling over themselves to be the source of "breaking news!" or some irrelevant nugget of half-truth that will allow them to brag about how they were FIRST. It has gotten so many people here on FT and elsewhere worked up trying to imagine scenarios of TP-riches with once in a lifetime stays in a $1500/night over the water bungalows for a Cat 8 cert. The reality is most of these people are finding things out not much more quickly than the general public in most cases...
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended

It sounds more likely Marriott will convert the certs at parity, that is old cat X will become new cat X (up to 8). They gave us advance notice of the category changes. Nobody will be justified to complain if certificates are converted at parity.

If they were going to convert at a scale other than parity, then they would have had to give us advance notice of the conversion as that would entail some devaluations in terms of redemptions
osotoc likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
OMG, no resolution and now more theories and back and forth until 9/18. LOL, just when I thought I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

khlay and AICML like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
So you won't be able to ATTACH LEGACY CERTIFICATES between Aug. 18 and Sept. 18 ?
My understanding is that you will not be able to attach legacy certificates ONLY if they are part of a travel package. Other certificates, like the ones from the credit card, should be attachable during that time frame based on the fact we have not heard otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.