Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I'm surprised nobody is commenting on this.
Yes, I am surprised nobody picked up on this - THE REAL THING, The mechanism to get refund is NOT working.

So Marriott once again used Starwood Lurker "channel" to tell people how to request refund as well as tell people the TP cert is immediately usable -

Yet, these are just another lies because of the response you get from using the link to request refund, does NOT work.

And, as of 11pm last night, it was NOT possible to attach a legacy cert to an existing booking.

Way to go Marriott to continue blotch up even the Ad Hoc remedies.

This is so evident that Marriott has never intended to make any remedy which only came due to lots of pressure from the Social Media bad publicity. Then it hastily came up with some remedies that got the bloggers' praises as if that everything now would be fine, totally forgive how the mess was created due to Marriott greed to begin with.

Unfortunately, such remedies are so far NOT functioning as we are told. Is there anything new now that what Marriott told us, never to be the truth the first time being told?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
No partial package, rep escalated to supervisor, but unable to order old packages. Points balance went up by 45k
Can they manually give you a Partial Cat 1-4 new cert?

That was the supervisor handled mine on Sunday on an Unattached Partial Cat 6 cert. She canceled the existing old Partial and ordered a new Partial but noted it had 75K instead of 45K. She mentioned the 75K figure multiple times as it carried some significance. My confirmation email also noted 75K.

I dont know if we can still surrender the new certs. I did read several DPs from people who tried to surrender their UNATTACHED old certs without any success despite many HUCA and multiple supervisors trying to help thru yesterday from day thru night time. Not a single positive DP.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
The response to my request for downgrade and subsequent 30k refund...

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our website. Our corporate office has been notified of the issue, and this issue should be corrected soon. I’m sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience in this matter. Please know any needed refunded Marriott Rewards points will be returned as soon as possible."
Just got this response from the the link that was put on the blog to request a 30k refund.

"Hello,

Thank you for contact Marriott customer care.

Please know that in order to change this, if we are able at this time, you will have to contact the reservations team directly as that request is not handled by this department or via email.

Regards,

Arie M
Marriott customer care"
So much for the latest "communication" from Starwood Lurker about the refund mechanism and how the legacy certs are now ready to be used immediately. The official language even claimed they have passed the "Pressure Test" successfully over the weekend so no more need to have the one month lock down...

All are LIES after LIES just to put out the roaring fire ignited by Marriott greed.

It is obviously SO AD HOC that even their call centers reps including supervisors dont know or have the ability to coax the system to do any booking using the legacy certs yesterday.

And we see this kind of responses from Refund Request submitted via the website they put up and communicated via a blogger.

Strange ways to communicate thru out the whole ordeal, and even more strange that up to now Marriott still tried to fool its customers by putting out "fake news" that none mentioned in Starwood Lurker's post is working!

I'm confused. If our old certs are still showing as the old certs, how can we attach them to new reservations as the bloggers are now saying we can do?
No. Cannot be done. I tried last night at 11pm, thru 2 call centers. Supervisors tried to help but system would not allow it. Seems it must be first converted to the new certs before being able to use it. I hadn't thought about to suggest that but hind sight, this must be necessary as the supervisor I talked to on Sunday went in to convert my old Partial P870 to a New Partial QP80 with 75K. She did not know if the system allowed her to do the conversion but apparently going thru a Cancellation, putting back 75K in my account and then Ordering the new Partial using 75K, worked.

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Just so people don't think I made something up, this was the internal approved language for the social media team as of the start of 8/20 (from my connection at Marriott). This is why I said they planned to double down. I have no idea what transpired between the time this was approved and the 30K refunds, but this is what they had planned to push out here (that apparently never made it out):

Obviously, I'm glad they didn't double down and the 30K refund almost gets me to satisfaction territory, but I'd like to see the option to upgrade be reinstated stat. Not when peak pricing is introduced. If they at least get that up and running and soon I think there will be less to complain or be upset about.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30108459-post6020.html

Can not believe the top management still tried to continue its spin to get away fleecing the customers.
The whole Point argument is a complete crock of you know what because the cert can NOT be used outside its category. The points they kept using as excuse is referring to the Off Peak / Standard / Peak WITHIN the category - yet by spinning the points, there are many gullible customers thought they could use the cert to book the Off Peak priced hotels in one category up. No, they can NOT!
In fact, anybody uses the cert in 2018, is already been CHEATED because there is Peak pricing until early 2019. Yet Marriott is using Peak Pricing to map the conversion of the legacy certs.
Whoever dreamed up this "clever" way thinking it would let Marriott get rid of the largest possible point liability now is facing a big PR disaster.
If they actually put out the FAQ as you posted (link above), I believe legal action from customers become feasible.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jmail1
On the phone again this morning, same company line of nothing can be done until September 18th and they deny that any formal announcement was made to anyone. Also keep saying that bloggers are not an official source and they they all have their own agenda.
There is a formal announcement on an official channel....insiders . marriottrewards .com
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
When you cancel and get the cert back, does the expiration extend to a year from cancellation or does it revert back to prevous cert expiration date?

Also, noticed on two cat 1-5 certs I attache to a booking recently, one done in july one done last friday. july one shows value of 45k which is what others have, the other one shows 270k. Anyone else experience this? What if I cancel? Do I get cert back or potentially 270k(fingers crossed-long shot)
DONT touch your certs online yourself. Unless you just want the surrender value. If you still plan to use it for hotel stay, the only way is the old way - calling to book. But before the legacy is converted to new cert, the system would not allow legacy cert to be used. I now believe the supervisor must manually exchange the old into the new before the cert could actually be used. I also believe (suspect) why there was a month long lock down announced before this Ad Hoc announcement, is the conversion is NOT done by the system but manually done by dedicated group. Else if IT is programmed to do the conversion, why it takes a full month to do so?
Given the greed Marriott has demonstrated so far, I seriously doubt it would spend IT resources for a ONE TIME EVENT on the conversion, especially with the complexity of the legacy certs that not only has many categories but also has the Partial certs, and also the different extension - some still in its 1st year, some already in its 2nd year, some actually has had expiration dates that are in 3rd year from the initial redemption.... To handle all kind of combo by IT programming would cost $$$$$$ and it is only a One Time Event... Come to think about this, that the one month long lock down makes sense for manual conversion.

You do NOT get 270K back. The bulk of points have already gone to your airline miles. You will only get the 45K back as your other Partial cert. The sole reason you still see the 270K is because said cert is a "virgin" cert, has not gone thru any extension / upgrade / downgrade, etc. Hence it still displays the original WHOLE PACKAGE value when you purchased it - it by no means would contain 270K. You know that
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:24 am

Since it's apparently going to be a manua process (I agree with your reasoning happy)....one must wonder whether it is possible to upgrade during the conversion (by surrendering and buying a partial package for new pts price)...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got this response from the the link that was put on the blog to request a 30k refund.
"Hello,
Thank you for contact Marriott customer care.
Please know that in order to change this, if we are able at this time, you will have to contact the reservations team directly as that request is not handled by this department or via email.
Regards,
Arie M
Marriott customer care"
Wow. This is NOT what we are told. Obviously the dept we are told to send the request to, has not received the latest Ad Hoc Spin. Left hand does not know Right hand is doing. Or better yet, the troops do not know how the generals have changed their tactics and course.
Marriott Rewards InsiderCompany Representative, Marriott RewardsOriginal Poster
Travel Packages UpdateMembers,

This past Saturday, new Travel Packages became available for purchase for members. At the same time, due to system capabilities, we initiated a month-long blackout on cancellations and modifications to existing Travel Package certificates. After pressure testing our new system over the weekend, we’re happy to relay that starting today, the blackout period is over.

In addition, members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Submit your request

Kind regards,
Marriott Rewards Insider

Last edited by Happy; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:47 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nick793
Since it's apparently going to be a manua process (I agree with your reasoning happy)....one must wonder whether it is possible to upgrade during the conversion (by surrendering and buying a partial package for new pts price)...
Yes, but NOT NOW. And I do not know a surrendering method would work at all.

You need to have the old Partial converted to a new Partial before you can even do anything, including using the cert!

Once you surrender your old cert, all you get back are points. And you can NOT get a Partial because you no longer have a Partial in your account.

Go back to read a post about how the poster canceled his ressie online, legacy cert did not come back. Supervisor could only returned 45K pts but could not give him back his partial - and he actually needed the stay!

If you find my post(s) detailed the conversation with the supervisor on the topic of upgrade, WHY the 75K value in my Partial from a Cat 6 Partial is important is because said value would be from where to calculate the difference to pay in order to upgrade to the new Cat 5 - it is 60K because the new Cat 5 Partial is 135K. It jumps 100% but can be done according to the supervisor who emphasized that the upgrade cost would be based on the NEW TP table, and NOT the legacy table when the 30K incremental each category up was used.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by Willbur
The response to my request for downgrade and subsequent 30k refund...

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our website. Our corporate office has been notified of the issue, and this issue should be corrected soon. I’m sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience in this matter. Please know any needed refunded Marriott Rewards points will be returned as soon as possible."
I got a similar message.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by jmail1
On the phone again this morning, same company line of nothing can be done until September 18th and they deny that any formal announcement was made to anyone. Also keep saying that bloggers are not an official source and they they all have their own agenda.
it was announced by Marriott in their insiders page.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not a huge fan of bloggers either but they're really the only people that have been putting out any sort of information. Marriott sure hasn't.
Marriott Insider put out the information yesterday at 5pm. It is as Official as it can get.
Marriott Rewards InsiderCompany Representative, Marriott RewardsOriginal Poster
Travel Packages UpdateMembers,

This past Saturday, new Travel Packages became available for purchase for members. At the same time, due to system capabilities, we initiated a month-long blackout on cancellations and modifications to existing Travel Package certificates. After pressure testing our new system over the weekend, we’re happy to relay that starting today, the blackout period is over.

In addition, members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Submit your request

Kind regards,
Marriott Rewards Insider
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Slightly OT but can someone advise if the points showing on SPG should come across to Marriott at x 3? I just merged my accounts and got the same amount of points in my Marriott as my SPG. I can't remember if I had 12,000 starpoints or 3,000 starpoints left. After transfer I have 12,000 Marriot points.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:26 am

Sorry to repost this, but I haven't seen any discussion on what seem like it should be a pretty important topic. Has anyone successfully had a travel package applied to any SPG property? I've been trying and so far it's not possible. The Marriott reps won't touch SPG reservations and SPG reps have no idea how to do anything with a TP certificate.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Slightly OT but can someone advise if the points showing on SPG should come across to Marriott at x 3? I just merged my accounts and got the same amount of points in my Marriott as my SPG. I can't remember if I had 12,000 starpoints or 3,000 starpoints left. After transfer I have 12,000 Marriot points.
I merged yesterday and they came across as 3x.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I merged yesterday and they came across as 3x.
Are you saying your SPG bal has not changed to 3x already when you initiated the merger yesterday? i.e. it was 10K in SPG and then going to Marriott became 30K?

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I believe the 3x in SPG account is automatically done.

The points in my SPG account already turned into 3x since Sunday. In fact I have seen 2 lines showing in my Marriott account as being the pts moved over from SPG despite I had never initiated such move. But the Marriott bal only showed the SPG coming in, not incl my existing Marriott bal in it.

By the evening when I logged back, said entries were gone and my Marriott bal returned back to just Marriott bal.

My SPG bal remains the already translated 3x number.
That is also the same case for a friend whose SPG account bal turned into 3x since Sunday.

Would be interesting if we transfer ours to Marriott would again get 3x, as what Smiley90 seems to suggest. That would be quite a windfall unplanned as I still have over 239K SPG pts before 3x. But now it is showing 738K so it is already converted, actually since Mid-day Sunday.

One blogger said that Marriott told him the SPG bal converted to 3x in SPG account is done in batches and the projected finish time could be as late as end of this week.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 21, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.