Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lax 100K
Quick Questions:

1) Which is best way to get to the hotel from airport ?
- Taxi
- Limo

I saw hotel has shuttle for $50+ one way. This seems to be extremely high given they list $12 one way for the taxi.

2) Does the Platinum member receive free breakfasts on reward stays ?

3) Have early flight at 6:30 AM. What time is good time to leave the hotel ?

Any other pointers about the hotel would be appreciated also.

Thanks.

1. Just stayed there a few weeks ago. People will solicit you as soon as you get out of security for taxi rides. I would go find the taxi area as it's regulated. You will pass through two tolls on th way there. The whole fare with tolls cost me about 400 Thai Bhat. You can do the conversion on XE.com.
2. Plat's get free lunge access on award stays. You also get access to the buffett in the resaurant for breakfast. The buffett is the biggest and best I've ever seen in numerous years of travelling with Marriott. The lounge has free drinks and appetizers in the evenings that are wonderful. My suggestion is to eat at the restaurant for b-fast and the lounge for dinner.
3. There will be no traffic at that time in the morning. I would ask the front desk for their opinion.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by schutzdl
1. Just stayed there a few weeks ago. People will solicit you as soon as you get out of security for taxi rides. I would go find the taxi area as it's regulated. You will pass through two tolls on th way there. The whole fare with tolls cost me about 400 Thai Bhat. You can do the conversion on XE.com.
2. Plat's get free lunge access on award stays. You also get access to the buffett in the resaurant for breakfast. The buffett is the biggest and best I've ever seen in numerous years of travelling with Marriott. The lounge has free drinks and appetizers in the evenings that are wonderful. My suggestion is to eat at the restaurant for b-fast and the lounge for dinner.
3. There will be no traffic at that time in the morning. I would ask the front desk for their opinion.
We are staying there in a few months for 3 nights. Recovering from the time change before 10 nights at Marriott Phuket. Our stay in Bangkok is a paid stay. Are you saying that it must be an award stay to have lounge access even though I am platinum?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We are staying there in a few months for 3 nights. Recovering from the time change before 10 nights at Marriott Phuket. Our stay in Bangkok is a paid stay. Are you saying that it must be an award stay to have lounge access even though I am platinum?
Not at all, he had just asked if he gets lounge access on an award stay. Any Plat no matter what type of stay gets lounge access. By the way I'm assuming you stayed at the Marriott Phuket Resort. We also stayed there and it was amazing. One of my favorite Marriott resorts of all.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by schutzdl
Not at all, he had just asked if he gets lounge access on an award stay. Any Plat no matter what type of stay gets lounge access. By the way I'm assuming you stayed at the Marriott Phuket Resort. We also stayed there and it was amazing. One of my favorite Marriott resorts of all.
Great-we were counting on lounge access.

Actually, I just asked the same question about breakfast in Phuket on a new thread. We have stayed at the vacation club twice. This will be our first time in the hotel. You don't get the breakfast benefit in the timeshare condos.

People that have not been to the Phuket Marriott have no idea what they are missing. The meticulous care of the property, the facilities and the staff are at a level I would put a Ritz Carlton-maybe even higher. If Aruba Stellaris is a Cat 7, this should be a cat 10 (if it existed).
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:50 am

Great-we were counting on lounge access.

Actually, I just asked the same question about breakfast in Phuket on a new thread. We have stayed at the vacation club twice. This will be our first time in the hotel. You don't get the breakfast benefit in the timeshare condos.

People that have not been to the Phuket Marriott have no idea what they are missing. The meticulous care of the property, the facilities and the staff are at a level I would put a Ritz Carlton-maybe even higher. If Aruba Stellaris is a Cat 7, this should be a cat 10 (if it existed).
Was just at the Aruba property last Thanksgiving and I agree 100% with you analysis.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
The meticulous care of the property, the facilities and the staff are at a level I would put a Ritz Carlton-maybe even higher. If Aruba Stellaris is a Cat 7, this should be a cat 10 (if it existed).
Oh god,

Please dont give the bean counters any more incentive to raise redemption levels and hotel catagories.

PS.

Great resort and we did swim on red flag days.
Old May 23, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Expensive lesson at Marriott / Trader Vics in Bangkok

Preface: I know.. it was our mistake not to ask, but....

Had a very nice dinner last week at the Trader Vics in the Marriott Resort - Bangkok. The nice dinner however was quickly interuppted when the bill arrived.

My wife had ordered the Phuket Lobster that was listed at Market Price -- avoiding the Boston Lobster that she figured we could get back in the States. She didn't think to ask how much -- as most of the main courses were running on the expensive side for Thailand, but not many items were over $30 (~1000 baht), and my main course was about $15. She figured worse case scenario for a local lobster wouldn't be too bad. Oops... the check arrived and the Lobster was 4,000 baht ($120). My jaw dropped, but I put our room number on the check and signed it... not wanting to really drag down our anniversary dinner.

Market Price is just that, but this amount for a local food even at an expensive restaurant is just crazy. Shame on us for not asking (I always ask if I order for myself), but a don't ask don't tell policy on something this out of line with the regular menu is pretty questionable.

If nothing else ... it will certainly cause wifey to ask for prices of items before she orders them. Hopefully it does not set a new precedent that any entree less than $120 is OK

I'll probably write the GM to suggest they include a price verification on things like this. I guess it could be kind of tacky in some settings to have the wait staff reading back food prices, but something would be helpful (like printing a range in the menu). Too bad I did not have the Marriott Gold dining card... might have paid for itself in 1 meal.
Old May 23, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tiojelly

I'll probably write the GM to suggest they include a price verification on things like this. I guess it could be kind of tacky in some settings .

ABSOLUTELY! I would NOT want the wait staff saying "Sorry to tell you, but that lobster is $120" In a business or personal setting I would probably walk out!

OT, but I recently had clients at Bookbinders in Philly, and one ordered the lobster and LOVED it....it was $200+ (forget the exact price) and WELL WORTH every bit of business I was able to close over his "best lobster ever, and im from Halifax!!!"
Old May 23, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa Questions

A couple of questions:
  1. Is there any e-mail address to contact the property at? I'd like to find out about available tours of Bangkok, transfers from the airport, etc. I've been to Bangkok before, but I've never stayed at this property.
  2. Has anyone done the "Dinner Cruise" on the Menorha (the rice barge)? If so, how was it? How much did it cost? There's not much information about it on the Marriott website, and there's no information about dinner cruises on the Menorha website.
  3. How far of a taxi ride is it from the new airport (S---, not Don Marang)? What's the approximate taxi fare? Can the hotel arrange a pick-up?

Oh, any other comments, tips, etc., on the property would be welcome! I'll be staying on award points.
Thanks!
Old May 23, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Possibly a better topic for DiningBuzz, not really MR specific.

I see nothing wrong with including price when announcing the verbal specials, "we have a crab stuffed scallop with froufrou sauce for $45", and no reason not to include the market price menu items at the same time, if the price is that far outside the range, "and the local lobster is $120 tonite".

No embarrassment, no surprises.
Old May 23, 2007, 9:23 pm

Happened to us in Florida- I learned to ask about serving size and price- this is for our pleasure - not business.
Old May 23, 2007, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I haven't eaten Phuket lobster at the Marriott - Bangkok but I often have it at the Hilton Phuket where for reference purposes it's approximately $25. At the Seafood Market-BKK (Sukhumvit/Soi24) in Bangkok it would likewise cost you the same. Looks like you really got screwed!

Originally Posted by Tiojelly
Preface: I know.. it was our mistake not to ask, but....

Had a very nice dinner last week at the Trader Vics in the Marriott Resort - Bangkok. The nice dinner however was quickly interuppted when the bill arrived.

My wife had ordered the Phuket Lobster that was listed at Market Price -- avoiding the Boston Lobster that she figured we could get back in the States. She didn't think to ask how much -- as most of the main courses were running on the expensive side for Thailand, but not many items were over $30 (~1000 baht), and my main course was about $15. She figured worse case scenario for a local lobster wouldn't be too bad. Oops... the check arrived and the Lobster was 4,000 baht ($120). My jaw dropped, but I put our room number on the check and signed it... not wanting to really drag down our anniversary dinner.

Market Price is just that, but this amount for a local food even at an expensive restaurant is just crazy. Shame on us for not asking (I always ask if I order for myself), but a don't ask don't tell policy on something this out of line with the regular menu is pretty questionable.

If nothing else ... it will certainly cause wifey to ask for prices of items before she orders them. Hopefully it does not set a new precedent that any entree less than $120 is OK

I'll probably write the GM to suggest they include a price verification on things like this. I guess it could be kind of tacky in some settings to have the wait staff reading back food prices, but something would be helpful (like printing a range in the menu). Too bad I did not have the Marriott Gold dining card... might have paid for itself in 1 meal.
Old May 24, 2007, 4:42 am

1. [email protected]
Old May 24, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jimrpa
A couple of questions:
  1. Is there any e-mail address to contact the property at? I'd like to find out about available tours of Bangkok, transfers from the airport, etc. I've been to Bangkok before, but I've never stayed at this property.
  2. Has anyone done the "Dinner Cruise" on the Menorha (the rice barge)? If so, how was it? How much did it cost? There's not much information about it on the Marriott website, and there's no information about dinner cruises on the Menorha website.
  3. How far of a taxi ride is it from the new airport (S---, not Don Marang)? What's the approximate taxi fare? Can the hotel arrange a pick-up?

Oh, any other comments, tips, etc., on the property would be welcome! I'll be staying on award points.
Thanks!
I did the dinner cruise on the Menorha 2 years ago. It was fine. Food was basically just OK but the boat was comfortable and it's a good way to get an introduction / overview of the river & the city. Can't recall the cost.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
[email protected] was the email address that I used. As I recall, they were pretty responsive to my emails.

My wife and I stayed at this hotel a little over a year ago and really loved it. Unfortunately, that was before the new airport opened so I can't tell you about the current taxi ride/fares.

After making my reservation, the hotel emailed me and offered a limousine transfer service from the airport to hotel at a cost of Baht 1,800 net per car per way maximum for 3 people. We opted for the taxi as it was cheaper.

Im not sure what the rates from new airport would be. Hopefully someone else on this forum can help with that, or you might try a search. I recall being able to find that information somewhere on here before but I cant remember which forum, maybe the Thai Airways forum.

We did not try the dinner cruise, but we watched them come in one night and it looked like a fun experience and we thought we would like to try it on our next visit.

FWIW, this was one of the few Marriotts where I felt they really recognized my platinum status. On arrival, I went to check in at the counter. When I showed my plat card, they immediately whisked us away to the lounge to do our check-in there while sitting in comfortable chairs and enjoying free drinks. It felt so great to sit down and relax in luxury after such a long flight.

They gave us cards for free breakfast which can be used in either the lounge or the outdoor/riverside restuarant. Both were great, but we liked the outdoor buffet a little better. Their breakfast buffet has to be the best I have seen at any Marriott anywhere offering both thai and european breakfast items.

The hotel is located on the quieter side of the river but the Marriott provides a free ferry that will take you across the river. It drops you off right near the entrance to the BTS Skytrain which a great way to get around the city.

With so many great restaurants in Bangkok, we did not get to try any of the restaurants on the hotel grounds but they did look pretty good.

I hope you enjoy your stay there. We certainly did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.