Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 7:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

There's lots of great information in this thread, including discussion on the dinner cruise.
Old May 25, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: Free at last!
I thought the dinner cruise was okay on a 2 for 1 deal, otherwise, no.

I agree that status is recognised at this property, however you may wish to decline an upgrade to riverview room - if it's in the wing above Trader Vic's.
The upgraded rooms are nothing special and you have to cross over the klong
(canal) that splits the property, and like most Bangkok klongs, this one stinks!
Old May 25, 2007, 3:36 pm

Lobster is very expensive in Asia as they were badly overfished for decades. Since lobsters only grow about 1 inch per year, decent sized local lobsters are quite rare.

Still, I can get a medium sized live lobster from the local Chinese markets in Los Angeles for about $8. I was told that the problem with shipping them from the Americas is that they atrophy when shipped and stored so when they arrive in Asia and are cooked, when you open them the shells are still big but there is little meat inside.
Old May 25, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Originally Posted by swag
Possibly a better topic for DiningBuzz, not really MR specific.

I see nothing wrong with including price when announcing the verbal specials, "we have a crab stuffed scallop with froufrou sauce for $45", and no reason not to include the market price menu items at the same time, if the price is that far outside the range, "and the local lobster is $120 tonite".

No embarrassment, no surprises.
I took my wife to Mortons this evening for a belated mothers-day dinner. That's just what the server did.....presented the lobster and as part of the description said "our lobsters are coming in around 3 1/2 pounds this evening at a market price of $25/pound". Done very professionally (we didn't have lobster!).

Bruce
Old May 26, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: Starwood, United, AAdvantage, Delta
Lobster is not THAT expensive anywhere in Thailand...

In any case, it is not that expensive in Thailand. To celebrate my completing my open water certification for scuba, I went to a nice restaurant on Phuket Island, and my 1 kilo lobster cost me about $30.00.

That is precisely why I do not eat at hotel restaurants. Their food is usually ok, but they use every trick to take your money away. For God's sake, you are in Bangkok. Nothing costs $120.00 You could have gone to Guisto (an excellent italian restaurant), and had an amazing meal for $100 all-in.

But I suppose you were playing it safe, as it was an important event, so it probably makes sense to go to a "safe" choice. And you were trying to be relaxed about the whole thing, so you got taken advantage of. Don't feel too bad, I suppose many of us would have gotten in the same bind.
Old May 26, 2007, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
ABSOLUTELY! I would NOT want the wait staff saying "Sorry to tell you, but that lobster is $120" In a business or personal setting I would probably walk out!

OT, but I recently had clients at Bookbinders in Philly, and one ordered the lobster and LOVED it....it was $200+ (forget the exact price) and WELL WORTH every bit of business I was able to close over his "best lobster ever, and im from Halifax!!!"
The OP was in BKK and not Philly and it was a private anniversary and not a business dinner:

$120 for lobster in Thailand is a rip-off. I would have asked to go to the local market next morning together with the hotel chef to check out the "market pricing".
Old May 29, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
JW Marriott Bangkok new rooms

Just finished a week long stay in Bangkok at the JW Marriott.

Hotel is in the middle of room renovations. Rooms have a "W" feel.

We were given a new corner room. The rooms are very nice. new carpet, new bedding, 32inch flatscreen TV with media station, new furniture etc.

The morning buffet downstairs has slipped a bit.

The lounge is great as always.
Old May 29, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I also like the new rooms, but I have made the hotel aware of one particular problem. Part of the floors are wooden and part are carpeted. This looks good, but when sitting at the desk, where the floor is wood and you try and push the chair back onto the carpeted area. I think they are going to supply desk chairs with wheels. Incidentally the problem is not so bad in the corner rooms.

When I was last there in April the downstairs buffet was as good as usual so I am bit worried that it has slipped but having said that I cannot think of any other JW that comes close by giving you the option of breakfast in either lounge or main restaurant.

Regards

John
Old May 29, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
staying here for one night in Dec, before leaving on a cruise for oz, so hopefully will get a nice new room (anybody know if they done the exec suites yet?)
Old May 29, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Rambuster
The OP was in BKK and not Philly and it was a private anniversary and not a business dinner:

$120 for lobster in Thailand is a rip-off. I would have asked to go to the local market next morning together with the hotel chef to check out the "market pricing".
OP here again...

Thanks for input and thoughts. Not really that worried -- and yes, feel like they certainly could have done something differently.

Regarding being safe and all -- it was more on the lazy side. We've travelled to Thailand quite a bit -- so comfortable trying restaurants all over the city, but having just arrived from a drive and flight from Khao Lak and being a bit tired -- thought it would be an easy solution... It was, and the dinner / atmosphere was good. We've certainly had more expensive dinners than that around the US and Europe, but still... that $120 entree just boggles the mind. The lobster must have been stuffed with truffles and several other endangered species .

I like the suggestion of going to a local market with one of the chefs though.... That I would have been willing to pay the supplement for.
Old May 30, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
They are doing the upgrades on a floor by floor basis and some Exec floors have been done.

John
Old May 31, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: Starwood, United, AAdvantage, Delta
Excellent Constructive Rejoinder!

Insist on a clause that anything market priced allows you the right to go with the chef to the "market", and partake in future acquisitions. Now that could be a very interesting experience in any Asian country, and worth a lot to experience.
Old May 31, 2007, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

the Lobster was 4,000 baht ($120).

OUCH!!

He came back and nipped you.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
many thanks
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:25 am

Tourist Scam

This is a well known scam perpetrated on tourists. I learned the hard way (I fell for the same scam in Cancun, Mexico).

There is no way "market" price for lobster in Bangkok is $120US. They wouldn't even think to pull this BS on a local. Lesson here is don't order anything on a menu in a foreign country if you don't know the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.