Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:33 pm

Lost Points

>I will bet my 1st son that you will have to email or call into MAR to get these points though, this property has problems sending points through the system.

Yes I agree with rebadc ... from experience I have learned that I have to closely watch the Marriott website for points and nights credited for JW Bkk. At least half of my stays are not credited and require my follow-up.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rogerdee123
>I will bet my 1st son that you will have to email or call into MAR to get these points though, this property has problems sending points through the system.

Yes I agree with rebadc ... from experience I have learned that I have to closely watch the Marriott website for points and nights credited for JW Bkk. At least half of my stays are not credited and require my follow-up.
And then you get to call again when the points to dollars spent are off due to conversion rates.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JW Bangkok Ants In the Room - What to Do? Don't want Pesticide...

Just checked into the JW at BKK last night. The room had ants - not a lot but in multiple places. I think they are pretty fully booked (Plat did not get any good special rooms - just a regular room on the 14th FL).

I don't want to complain - the last thing I want is for them to spray pesticide in the room for me, the biggest pest them of all

I guess the bright side means the room is pretty healthy What is the best thing to do?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 2:06 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I would definitley complain and get them to move you to another ant free room.. WHich room are you in - I will be back in there in January and would like to know which room to avoid.

Regards

John
Old Nov 23, 2007, 5:49 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by username
Just checked into the JW at BKK last night. The room had ants - not a lot but in multiple places. I think they are pretty fully booked (Plat did not get any good special rooms - just a regular room on the 14th FL).

I don't want to complain - the last thing I want is for them to spray pesticide in the room for me, the biggest pest them of all

I guess the bright side means the room is pretty healthy What is the best thing to do?
Move hotels! BKK has way to many nice places to be stuck with ants.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I told them, but not in a complaining kind of way. They immediately asked me if I brought food to my room. Umm, let's see the ants showed up at multiple places (above the mini bar, near the plants near the desk and on another corner of the room) and I noticed them a few hours after I checked in. The hotel has food in the mini bar as well as fruits. So, it is not any food that I brought.

I will see if things get worse before I request a move.

Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
You could scoop them up and sell them down the street to the Issan girls.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:09 am

If the ants in question are of the almost invisibly small variety, heading in neat lines to and from any sources of food, they're just a harmless part of life in the tropics and may have been brought in if, say, the previous guest went shopping for fruit. (They usually march around in neat lines, so it's easy enough to figure out where they're coming from.) Unless they were totally out of control, I probably wouldn't do anything if I was in your shoes, but you're certainly within your rights to request a new room.

And re: the responses about staying away from the hotel or wanting to know the room number, please remember that this is Bangkok we're talking about, where rats are larger than cats, the canals act as sewers for 60%+ of the population, and insects are considered tasty snacks.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
If the ants in question are of the almost invisibly small variety, heading in neat lines to and from any sources of food, they're just a harmless part of life in the tropics and may have been brought in if, say, the previous guest went shopping for fruit. (They usually march around in neat lines, so it's easy enough to figure out where they're coming from.) Unless they were totally out of control, I probably wouldn't do anything if I was in your shoes, but you're certainly within your rights to request a new room.

And re: the responses about staying away from the hotel or wanting to know the room number, please remember that this is Bangkok we're talking about, where rats are larger than cats, the canals act as sewers for 60%+ of the population, and insects are considered tasty snacks.
Thanks to you, I did not eat anything all day today in local places

The ant problem did not get worse - stil some but I can tolerate them.

I think people pay a huge premium to stay at western hotels for a reason - they expect the level of quality to be the same as when they are home (with better service, of course). So, they probably do not want ants or rats around
Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by jpatokal
I have stayed at this property numerous times since it opened and have never knowingly shared my room with any unwanted guests.

And as far I am concerned you're right some of those insects are tasty!

Regards
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: Continental - Platinum, Marriot - Platinum Premier Elite, Hertz - President's Circle
Hope they're gone by Dec 29. Myself, wife, daughter and niece will be staying at this hotel from 12/29 thru 12/31. Prior to this, my wife and I will be staying in the JW Marriott Resort and Spa in Bangkok from 12/19 thru 12/23. Then my daughter and niece will be joining us at the JW Resort and Spa in Phuket from the 23rd to the 29th and then all of us back to Bangkok to stay at the JW Marriott before we head home to NJ.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:37 am

I found the Courtyard to be very nice and the location to be good...

The Courtyard Bangkok is on a side street behind the Four Seasons Hotel (there is one condo building (Royal Regent One) in between the Four Seasons and the Courtyard)....so its hardly a 2 minute walk to the main road...

The Four Seasons is on the main road and adjacent to the Rajadamri skytrain station, which is very convenient....

in addition, the Four Seasons is close neighors to the Pensinula shopping mini mall, the Grand Centerpoint serviced apartments and then the Grand Hyatt Erawan (and the Erawan mini-mall)....and the Erawan (Brahman) Shrine which is constantly busy with Thai and Asian tourist worshippers (with Thai dancers)....

In turn, the Grand Hyatt is across the street from the Intercontinental and the Holiday Inn and the Gaysorn shopping mall...

also the Grand Hyatt is "kitty corner" to the HUGE Central World complex which is, in turn, connected to the HUGE Siam Paragon/Siam Center/Siam Discovery complex by a skywalk....

overall, I think the Courtyard is a very good property and super value....

btw, a Renaissance by Marriott is coming up very close to the Courtyard (behind the Maneya building, which is directly across from the street from the Interncontinental/Holiday Inn mentioned above...

also, the Mayfair Marriott serviced apartments is very close to the Courtyard Bangkok (although they are starting to construct a Centerpoint serviced aprt right next door to the Mayfair Marriott)....
Old Dec 24, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Marriott Bangkok Resort and Spa

Just returned from this Marriott (and the Marriott Resort in Pattaya). Both properties are just simply amazing.

The property in Bangkok is a 15 minute boat ride from your skytrain stop and runs every 20 minutes (I found that a great way to end the day and relax on a short river cruise) the Lounge there is absolutely amazing.

Property in Pattaya was also amazing and the lounge there was also amazing.

If only the lounges in America were 1/2 as nice as these in Thailand, I'd solely stay at Marriott properties!
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm quite fond of the JWM in BKK. I love their lounge. My only complaint there is that there is no exhaust system over the omlette cooking station. So after breakfast you leave the lounge smelling like smoke. I've mentioned this to the GM, and I get a polite Thai smile.

Last edited by wxguy; Dec 25, 2007 at 5:32 am
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
I'm quite fond of the JWM in BKK. I love their lounge. My only complaint there is that there is no exhaust system over the omlette cooling station. So after breakfast you leave the lounge smelling like smoke. I've mentioned this to the GM, and I get a polite Thai smile.
BUT - you can always have the full buffet breakfast in the main restaurant as an alternative to the cut down version in the lounge for no cost . Not that I have ever noticed any problem with the omlette cooking (I assume you meant cooking and not "cooling" ) station in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.