Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Months ago Marriott Customer Service confirmed me that completing Plat challenge in May 2018 will grant Plat status till Jan 2020.

So they must honour this rule, as per all others members who earned Platinum status from Feb 2018 onwards.

Please, is there any Marriott representative who could clarify this very important matter?
Thank you

Last edited by GoldenItalianBoy; Apr 18, 2018 at 5:03 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
from March 2018 onwards.
From Feb 2018 onwards, to be correct.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:55 am

I just registered for the Platinum challenge by phone. I have till July 31, 2018 to complete challenge. Told I would have Platinum for rest of 2018 and 2019 if I complete the challenge.

My boyfriend is a senior. If I book and pay for a senior rate using the Marriot.com site, will this be considered one stay? Also, do I need to call Marriot to add his name or he just shows up with me and show ID?

I called several months ago and CSR said adding name will count as stay.

Today I called and I was told boyfriend needs to book on his own account. Two different answer

Can someone clarify?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by navatwal
The Status Challenge Option is still active....I was considering a start in May rather than April but I believe if you get Platinum status before August you wil be Platinum Premier In August - Is that assumption correct?

Also is the effective date 1st August or end of August (30th)?
I just registered by phone and then called back 5 minutes to double check.

Platinum status starts once you complete the 9 stays. I decided to start in April so it will reflect Marriott Platinum before the change over. I rather not have any confusion.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by navatwal
The Status Challenge Option is still active....I was considering a start in May rather than April but I believe if you get Platinum status before August you wil be Platinum Premier In August - Is that assumption correct?

Also is the effective date 1st August or end of August (30th)?
My read on this is that you have until the end of 2018 to make MR Plat and will become MPG PlatP after that. Aug - Dec is a twilight period where you can still qualify under the current rules, but have special benefits (being able to book at a single site, merged account, etc.). And you can start earning status under the new rules (all properties count).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by metoo
I just registered for the Platinum challenge by phone. I have till July 31, 2018 to complete challenge. Told I would have Platinum for rest of 2018 and 2019 if I complete the challenge.

My boyfriend is a senior. If I book and pay for a senior rate using the Marriot.com site, will this be considered one stay? Also, do I need to call Marriot to add his name or he just shows up with me and show ID?

I called several months ago and CSR said adding name will count as stay.

Today I called and I was told boyfriend needs to book on his own account. Two different answer

Can someone clarify?
Senior rates do count as stays. Senior rates can be booked by anyone as long as a guest in the room is a senior and the FDC might ask for proper ID at check in. It's unfortunate that some CSRs will make up rules when they don't know or can't find the answer and unless you challenge them or second source the question it's possible to be misled.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Senior rates do count as stays. Senior rates can be booked by anyone as long as a guest in the room is a senior and the FDC might ask for proper ID at check in. It's unfortunate that some CSRs will make up rules when they don't know or can't find the answer and unless you challenge them or second source the question it's possible to be misled.
RogerD408
Do I need to call Marriot to add the 2nd guest or does he just show his ID at the hotel?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:47 am

My read on this is that you have until the end of 2018 to make MR Plat and will become MPG PlatP after that. Aug - Dec is a twilight period where you can still qualify under the current rules, but have special benefits (being able to book at a single site, merged account, etc.). And you can start earning status under the new rules (all properties count).
So is it better to finish status before August 1, 2018 or not?

I figured. if I finish my August 1st I will be able to get the extra benefits of breakfasts in many other hotels for the remainder of the year and 2019
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RogerD408
Do I need to call Marriot to add the 2nd guest or does he just show his ID at the hotel?
I don't see any reason to call and add the 2nd guest (unless they will show up before you). You should be able to book the senior rate online and be good to go. IF the FDC notices the senior rate, they may ask for ID to prove the eligibility of the rate and showing their ID has worked in the past. As long as someone "in the room" is a senior, it's fine. MR membership is not a requirement of getting the senior rate.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is it better to finish status before August 1, 2018 or not?

I figured. if I finish my August 1st I will be able to get the extra benefits of breakfasts in many other hotels for the remainder of the year and 2019
All this depends upon your current status. As it reads now, if you are about to qualify for MR LTP, then doing so before 8/1 is wise as that is the only way to LTPP. Earned status of your merged account determines your status after 8/1, but you can still get your current status benefits through the end of the year.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
I had already signed up last week, but they told me on the phone that I would have MR Platinum till the end of 2018
I hope this was wrong information.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:08 am

I don't see any reason to call and add the 2nd guest (unless they will show up before you). You should be able to book the senior rate online and be good to go. IF the FDC notices the senior rate, they may ask for ID to prove the eligibility of the rate and showing their ID has worked in the past. As long as someone "in the room" is a senior, it's fine. MR membership is not a requirement of getting the senior rate.

oh too late I guess, I just called to add my friend in the booking.

I
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I just signed up via email. With all the moaning on the other forum from people loosing benefits from Gold and as a SPG Gold matched to MR Gold myself, I decided to to be proactive instead of .....ing and just emailed MR yesterday and they responded today. I'm signed up for the challenge and have until July 31st to complete it. So by completing 9 stays at Marriott hotels which all must be booked via a Marriott Source, I will get Platinum the rest of this year and for all of next year.

Between now and July 31st, I already have 10 stays booked so its a complete win win for me. So, I will have Gold with the current MR benefits during my challenge, and by the time August rolls around and I stay at Marriott / SPG for the second half of the year, I'll be Platinum and really loose nothing from the program changes.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by EHAM1
I had already signed up last week, but they told me on the phone that I would have MR Platinum till the end of 2018
I hope this was wrong information.
It should be wrong info, unless they suddenly decided to dump everyone (which is very unlikely).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:06 pm

Edit: deleted due to duplicat post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.