Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:38 pm

JUST WONDER IF platium challenge still allows 18 days or 20 days (within 3 months) instead of new 9 stays?

i am gold currently
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by iwpingmu
JUST WONDER IF platium challenge still allows 18 days or 20 days (within 3 months) instead of new 9 stays?

i am gold currently
9 Stays - at least for me it was. You can always call to see if they'll do 18 nights instead of 9 stays.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1 (but don't tell this to anyone in SoCal or BOS)............

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I wouldn't push this issue too much. Technically, you should not have earned any points since YOU were not there. The loyalty program benefits are for YOUR stays and not anyone/everyone you know. Yes, the properties do mess up from time to time and there are tricks you can pull to make it happen more times than not. However, you need to be present to properly earn points/stay.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG, Platinum, MR platinum, Hyatt boycotted
Taste of Platinum

Originally Posted by gfunk4698844
Thanks for the advice to call again. Just got plat this AM Now time to start booking. Quick questions--do you guys know if the Marriott CC spend counts toward elite stays?
So I just got the plat challenge this week thanks to you all, and wanted to taste it this weekend with my first booking. I'm so unimpressed. We stayed at the Renaissance Club Sport in Walnut Creek, CA. The workout facilities were nice, and the decor was fresh, and the room clean, but it didn't seem like they really cared that we were plat. First night we asked if there were any suites avail for upgrade, they said no they were booked, but that tomorrow they should have some. Next day my wife asked, and the front desk person told her "it's Saturday" and gave her a blank stare. My wife was like, what does that mean? Can you check if there are any available suites? He made an incredulous face at her and said "It's Saturday, of course we don't have suites available." My wife is a sweet little lady and she smiled and walked away, but I can't believe she was treated like that. The first night they offered a crib which was nice and they forgot to bring it, even after two calls. We finally told them to forget it. Front desk staff was unfriendly at best. Restaurant staff was excellent though! Last day we asked for late checkout just to see what they would say. They said no. Go figure. Maybe this is just a bad first experience, but I'm not really impressed with Marriott Platinum. I'll give them one more shot then stick with Hilton I guess.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by gfunk4698844
So I just got the plat challenge this week thanks to you all, and wanted to taste it this weekend with my first booking. I'm so unimpressed. We stayed at the Renaissance Club Sport in Walnut Creek, CA. The workout facilities were nice, and the decor was fresh, and the room clean, but it didn't seem like they really cared that we were plat. First night we asked if there were any suites avail for upgrade, they said no they were booked, but that tomorrow they should have some. Next day my wife asked, and the front desk person told her "it's Saturday" and gave her a blank stare. My wife was like, what does that mean? Can you check if there are any available suites? He made an incredulous face at her and said "It's Saturday, of course we don't have suites available." My wife is a sweet little lady and she smiled and walked away, but I can't believe she was treated like that. The first night they offered a crib which was nice and they forgot to bring it, even after two calls. We finally told them to forget it. Front desk staff was unfriendly at best. Restaurant staff was excellent though! Last day we asked for late checkout just to see what they would say. They said no. Go figure. Maybe this is just a bad first experience, but I'm not really impressed with Marriott Platinum. I'll give them one more shot then stick with Hilton I guess.
Not all hotels are nice to elites. That's what I found out after we became Gold - don't expect much upgrade - 1 category at most.

The funny thing is that we got more Plat recognition at IHG hotels, than Gold at Marriotts - even though IHG Plat is easy to get.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Fast track to Gold status

I just logged into my MR account and I see that although I only recently achieved Silver status, I am now a Gold member.

Is this a promotion or can the status upgrade be based on behaviour other than nights accrued?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
My experiences this far have been quite similar but being plat is not totally useless anyway. Some properties might be very reluctant to give upgrades at all but same property may to totally allright with giving late checkout for instance.

But still, I agree with Nacho - IHG Plat has given me, too, better perks this far even if they (too) have been reported to be very inconsistent.

What I personally hate is that it seems that many properties, Marriott or IHG, only give some benefits if you ask, ask, ask. I don't want to do that, I want to be treated well without asking all the time or I will stay some place else. Yelling "come on, I'm Platinum, I'm important, give me SOME benefit at least" is not my style but that's seems to be the only style that works at some places.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Did you contact Marriott for the elite challenge? You will need to meet a certain amount of nights usually in 90 days to qualify. See here for more info.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by gk17
Did you contact Marriott for the elite challenge? You will need to meet a certain amount of nights usually in 90 days to qualify. See here for more info.
No... I recently achieved Silver status in July 2012.
Logged in today to the MR website and somebody gave me credit for an additional 39 nights. My yearly total-to-date is 11 nights.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also strange. I now show as Gold too. Nights are correct at 28. I have 9 more nights booked for the 10th-19th and am registered for the megabonus 2012 promo. But never signed up for challenge or anything to get gold faster. Not complaining as I like it if it is true.

Looks like Marriott put me in for taste of gold promo. To keep need 6 stays by end of year. Usually don't do too many stays but do 9 night stays so lots of nights. Already Diamond with Hilton for next year so maybe I'll concentrate on Marriott rest of this year and maybe get Platinum.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Taste of Gold = 6 Stays.

Taste of Platinum = 9 stays.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I believe it has been reported elsewhere that MR had signed them up for a challenge without being asked (I think there was an eMail sent, but ignored). Unfortunately, MR rules say only one challenge in a year, so later in the year when the OP was expecting more travel asked for a challenge and was denied.

Enjoy your upgraded benefits.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
My experiences this far have been quite similar but being plat is not totally useless anyway. Some properties might be very reluctant to give upgrades at all but same property may to totally allright with giving late checkout for instance.

But still, I agree with Nacho - IHG Plat has given me, too, better perks this far even if they (too) have been reported to be very inconsistent.

What I personally hate is that it seems that many properties, Marriott or IHG, only give some benefits if you ask, ask, ask. I don't want to do that, I want to be treated well without asking all the time or I will stay some place else. Yelling "come on, I'm Platinum, I'm important, give me SOME benefit at least" is not my style but that's seems to be the only style that works at some places.
At the IHG properties we stayed at, the worst was a no upgrade at IC and HIE Frankfurt on PB - but then again that's a HIE, what can they upgrade us to?

In the US I stayed at HI, Staybridges and Candlewood. Staybridges and Candlewood (both on PB which I don't entitled to any bennie), upgraded us without us saying a word - at Candlewood we even got a goodie bag (I don't care what it is but it's the thought that counts). They thanked Mr.Nacho for being a Plat etc. When I asked at HI, they gave me a bigger room.

At CP Copenhagen, upgrade was given again on PB with lounge access.

In Singapore, I got free breakfast and a big room as upgrade at HI and at CP I got their biggest King Suite plus 4pm check out. These are both free nights from BRG.

At Marriott - it's a hit and miss, you can score big upgrades if you can get a hold of the GM. Otherwise expect a 1 category upgrade and nothing else. Even when I asked sometimes, they said, 'no'. The most stable thing about Marriott is that we usually get the executive floor as an upgrade - it's fairly consistent.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FinnishFlash

To get my 18 nights this summer, I stayed at the Renaissance Las Vegas (twice for a total of 12 nights - upgraded to top club floor both times), Fairfield Inn Old Town San Diego (1 night - 3rd floor, main building courtyard view), JW Camelback Inn Scottsdale (3 nights - upgraded to a large room with a 1000' sq. ft. private patio), Renaissance Indian Wells (2 nights - preassigned a corner room). I was upgrade or pre-assigned the best room everytime without asking (Indian Wells even emailed me 3 days before my stay that I was being upgraded to a corner room by the concierge). I was always recognized as Platinum at check-in. Always asked what amenity I wanted at check-in. All were on LNF rates. I found Marriott to be totally consistent (and I got a nice platinum amenity bag at check-in even at the Fairfield Inn...much more than the hand made package of gummi bears that I got at the Staybridge Suites NYC at as Platinum elite in May).
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG, Platinum, MR platinum, Hyatt boycotted
Originally Posted by CalItalian
To get my 18 nights this summer, I stayed at the Renaissance Las Vegas (twice for a total of 12 nights - upgraded to top club floor both times), Fairfield Inn Old Town San Diego (1 night - 3rd floor, main building courtyard view), JW Camelback Inn Scottsdale (3 nights - upgraded to a large room with a 1000' sq. ft. private patio), Renaissance Indian Wells (2 nights - preassigned a corner room). I was upgrade or pre-assigned the best room everytime without asking (Indian Wells even emailed me 3 days before my stay that I was being upgraded to a corner room by the concierge). I was always recognized as Platinum at check-in. Always asked what amenity I wanted at check-in. All were on LNF rates. I found Marriott to be totally consistent (and I got a nice platinum amenity bag at check-in even at the Fairfield Inn...much more than the hand made package of gummi bears that I got at the Staybridge Suites NYC at as Platinum elite in May).
Thanks for all of the feedback, I have also had consistent upgrades with IHG, maybe this is was bad apple. I'm going to stay at Marriot Rive Gauche soon and also Marriott Lisbon, so let's see how that goes. If I don't have good experiences with 2 more stays, then I'm going to chop Marriott and stick with Hilton and IHG if I can help it. Cheers all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.