Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott discontinued these a few years ago. They are no longer available.
Print Wikipost

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't care if demand has gone up or down... its supposed to be a benefit for elites, not some elites in certain regions. Either allow the EEO to be used, or get rid of them instead of making the excluded list a page long. Saying it can't be used at a Cat8 would be fine, but some of the hotels around here that are excluded are even Cat5. What a crock.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I agree - I am very disappointed lately with how many properties don't accept EEOs. Hardly any in the entire DC area participate now.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I am of the belief that NO properties should be excluded. If they are all that popular, then their rates will reflect that. If a weekend rate is $499 (for example), then they should still be able to offer the most valuable elite customers a second night for free. I really don't see it as any different than a suburban business hotel that only charges $79 a night on the weekend. Either way, the hotel is getting revenue AND Marriott is rewarding a loyal guest...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by socrates
FYI - demand in BOS and NYC has grown significantly in the past 12 months, I'm certain this has had much to do with each hotel's decision to not participate in the EEO offers recently
When demand was poor in NYC(last 4 years?)Only one FS property(the dreadful 57)participated.
No it is sheer greed on the hotels part and putting the loyal customer last on Marriott Rewards part. If they have the luxury of flying the flag then they should be forced to honor the program.
This is yet more devaluation of a once fine program.Nothing less.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, instead of the hotel getting paid $209 for one night and me getting the 2nd free, I've canceled the reservation entirely. So net result is the hotel will have that room empty for the weekend instead of getting revenue from the 1 room night as well as losing revenue from the bar, breakfast, and parking.

EDIT:

I will be sending a letter to corporate regarding the EEOs. Anyone know if there is a particular address that is better to use, or send to corporate in DC attention to Bill Marriott?

Last edited by rylan; Nov 9, 2010 at 7:29 am
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Send it to Ed French-he is behind all of these shenangins.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by rylan
Well, instead of the hotel getting paid $209 for one night and me getting the 2nd free, I've canceled the reservation entirely. So net result is the hotel will have that room empty for the weekend instead of getting revenue from the 1 room night as well as losing revenue from the bar, breakfast, and parking.
Sounds to me like the hotel is betting that the room will not be empty for that weekend. Instead they intend to sell it for both nights and reap the bar, breakfast and parking revenue from someone else. Business decision.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I highly doubt the hotel will be at or even near capacity. They are running specials online to try to get people to stay and the discounted rates have not sold out yet.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:00 am
Suspended

I think the list -- which has grown significantly -- is a reaction to local factors and franchisees.

Although Boston is blacked out, and so is downtown DC (except for the Renaissance DC near the Convention Center) there are other properties -- like Long Island, NY and the like -- which are not very high demand properties but are also on the list.

On the other hand, there are countless Marriott/Renaissance properties in the LA area which are still included.

These changes are likely beyond Marriott's control and you will have to accept them.

Also, remember, that unlike in years past, there are a number of Int'l properties that are participating this round.

More heat than light in this thread.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
The list of non-participating properties seems to grow every time a new EEO season comes around.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
These changes are likely beyond Marriott's control and you will have to accept them.
No, the changes are 100% within Marriott's control. (But you're right, we'll obviously have to accept them.)

Also, remember, that unlike in years past, there are a number of Int'l properties that are participating this round.

More heat than light in this thread.
True...it's not all doom and gloom.

I could understand if the EEO's were restricted to the hotels in a given market less likely to sell out on weekends, but blacking out an entire city seems excessive. I know there's a balance between giving away product you'd otherwise sell and rewarding high-value clients - just seems like Marriott is really devaluing one of the best elite perks in the industry here.

Starwood will give me more suites. HHonors will honor my elite status at resorts and on weekends. But the EEO's are one thing that keep me in the Marriott system more than I'd otherwise be.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (SM, 1MM) Marriott Rewards (Lifetime Gold), HHonors (Lifetime Diamond)
Ok... I give up.... Will someone please explain what an EEO is?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually its worse than just the entire Boston area... its the entire STATE of MA except for one which I won't mention in case it was missed by accident. Even the Springfield Marriott is on the list, and that isn't exactly a popular weekend destination.
Essentially anywhere within 50 miles of the coast from Virginia up through New Hampshire it is now not possible to use an EEO.

EEO = Elite Only Offer, for buy one get one free weekend night. Available to Golds and up every few months.

Last edited by rylan; Nov 10, 2010 at 8:57 pm
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I could understand if the EEO's were restricted to the hotels in a given market less likely to sell out on weekends, but blacking out an entire city seems excessive. I know there's a balance between giving away product you'd otherwise sell and rewarding high-value clients - just seems like Marriott is really devaluing one of the best elite perks in the industry here.
BINGO
And its not just an entire city... its the entire northeastern seaboard.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by MyTravels
EEO. The BOGO free EEO offers for dinner & weekend nights are a nice perk that I don't know is replicated elsewhere. (Although the free weekend excluded hotel list is getting really long).
If I recall correctly, originally the only EEO exclusions were the the NYC area hotels. Then they added just a few more (like Le Merigot,A JW Spa & Santa Ynez Marriott) and the snow ball of excluding more and more hotels has gained momentum. Most recently (during the June 25 - October 10, 2010 period) the list continued to grow after the certificates were issued on June 25th. Make sure you print out the exclusion list, because it may change from when you book and when you stay.

PS: I believe that the original exclusion of Hotel 57 in NYC was an oversight as even the NYC airport hotels are excluded (and my experiences there have been the opposite of dreaded) .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.