Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sputnik
Dear Sharon and team,

I have a 5 night points booking with the Park Lane for three people (family) - I chose Park Lane because they allowed triple occupancy, plus because GS and GH were charging 60-90GBP per night on top of the points. Am Platinum so am looking for lounge access and, if possible and fortunate, an upgrade.

Why do they make the extra cash charge?
Is it worth paying, because I get the sense that there is a preference for GS and maybe GH over PL. I dont see many reviews of PL. I have stayed at GS, once was upgraded massively without status. Or should I just keep my PL booking?

hope you can help
thank you
GS has always been more aggressive re: charging upcharges IMO.

However, GH not as much, & I believe lexdevil (think it was him) contacted GH directly recently re: having 3 & there was not an up charge. I don't know if details are in this thread or in the GH specific thread re: his experience. They would be within the last couple of pages of either.

GH has a new larger exec lounge & also has a much larger footprint than the other 2 properties, so possible better upgrade. As Plat you would get exec lounge access at all 3 properties. GS is in the basement (unless it's changed) & the other 2 are on the ground floor. All 3 properties are good ones, so it's not like you're going to go wrong with any of them.

If you're thinking of switching, my recommendation would be to contact GH & GS directly & see if they'll waive the up charge.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:36 pm

Thanks to both of you for your very good advice. I am amazed by the quality of information here.

Based on your advice, I think I would prefer GH (have stayed before), but I was disappointed by the huge upcharges for the points stay whereas I could book the PL on the internet with no such upcharges - seemed fairer to me

PL wrote to me and said they are refurbishing (?!) and that the lounge was temporarily located on their lower ground floor. Not sure what this means. Will have to gamble one way or the other, and hope will be lucky with upgrade or something, and my family happy (and then I will be in their good books!)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by sputnik
Thanks to both of you for your very good advice. I am amazed by the quality of information here.

Based on your advice, I think I would prefer GH (have stayed before), but I was disappointed by the huge upcharges for the points stay whereas I could book the PL on the internet with no such upcharges - seemed fairer to me

PL wrote to me and said they are refurbishing (?!) and that the lounge was temporarily located on their lower ground floor. Not sure what this means. Will have to gamble one way or the other, and hope will be lucky with upgrade or something, and my family happy (and then I will be in their good books!)
Sounds like the PL lounge is in the basement while they do the refurb, so a "temp lounge". GH just re-opened their exec lounge last week after a refurb. It's now much larger. Pics here from another FTer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23193875-post64.html

My guess is if you contact GH directly you might be able to avoid the surcharge. I know we had a FTer who did that & got the surcharge waived/room sorted out. I just can't find the post, but I think it was lexdevil who did it so perhaps PM her?

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:13 pm

Talk about timing LOL. Just received a promotional email from Grosvenor House:

Summer at Grosvenor House

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My guess is if you contact GH directly you might be able to avoid the surcharge. I know we had a FTer who did that & got the surcharge waived/room sorted out. I just can't find the post, but I think it was lexdevil who did it so perhaps PM her?
It was indeed me. The extra charge in question is not really a charge for an extra person, but a charge for a slightly better room (Superior rather than Deluxe). The basic room is available for points with no upcharge, but it will not house three people because it cannot take a roll-away. For three people you have to get the better room class, which triggers the upcharge.

I wrote to the hotel asking if it was likely that we would be upgraded to the better room regardless because of status. They replied that we would, so they removed the upcharge. In effect, we are booked for the Deluxe room (which will not take three guests), but have been promised an upgrade to Superior or better (which will take three guests).

I really appreciate how they handled this. I do not know if they would give any elite this treatment, or if they only do this for Plats and/or PPs.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I really appreciate how they handled this. I do not know if they would give any elite this treatment, or if they only do this for Plats and/or PPs.
Well, I can tell you that as a Gold staying for 1 night a couple of years ago I got upgraded to a superior room, so I think there's a good chance they would do the same for Golds. Certainly worth asking.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
I've read through several of these reviews and I am still stuck on which one to decide.

I am a Platinum member, and my gf and I will be in London April of next yr (a bit early I know) but we just booked our tickets today. We are staying 2 nights in London before we are off to Germany for 6 nights to visit family.

-My gf wants a hotel that offers free breakfast (several I'm sure w/Plat status)
-A nice popular location with lots to do...don't mind taking the tube but want to be in an area where we "have" to take it everyday.
-most importantly, a property that is very generous on Plat. upgrades!

Based on these 3 criteria, which hotels would you all suggest? (lets say a top 3).

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83
-My gf wants a hotel that offers free breakfast (several I'm sure w/Plat status)
-A nice popular location with lots to do...don't mind taking the tube but want to be in an area where we "have" to take it everyday.
-most importantly, a property that is very generous on Plat. upgrades!

Based on these 3 criteria, which hotels in London would you all suggest? (lets say a top 3).
Even as a plat there is no guarantee of a suite upgrade. There is a good shot at a larger room, possibly a view.

You will have lounge access inc. free breakfast at all.

Here are things to consider, re: your criteria:

JW Grosvenor House: solid location in Mayfair, but ten minute walk to tube. Close to posh shopping, not as close to tourist sites. Outstanding lounge with solid breakfast offerings. Great scones and clotted cream in afternoon. Decent shot at upgrades due to large number of suites and your short stay. Unimpressive turn down service, if you care. Well run/responsive for a hotel of its size.

Marriott Park Lane: solid Mayfair location, right next to Marble Arch tube stop. Lounge should be newly renovated by then. Close to posh shopping, not as close to tourist sites. Little to no shot at upgrades, but rooms are generous (standard room is same size as the larger non-suite rooms at the JW). When we stayed during the Olympics turn down service included a nice goody each night (macarons, candy, etc.). Hotel is small, which I like, though it seems less grand than the JW because of that.

County Hall: Heart of tourist London, right on the river overlooking Big Ben. Tube stop just across Westminster Bridge (but walking across the bridge is a PITA because it is always crowded with folks taking pictures). Can also head south to the Waterloo tube station. We have always been upgraded to large rooms, often to Big Ben/river view rooms, and once to a balcony Big Ben view (the best). Lounge is small, offerings okay. Breakfast often served downstairs in the Library. Last year when I was there the quality of the breakfast was disappointing. I've found the hotel a bit disorganized of late.

St. Pancras Renaissance: Great for transportation, but there is nothing tourist attractive in the area. No upgrades to Chambers rooms w/out supplemental charge of at least £75. Rooms are modern, comfortable, but not grand. That said, the building is amazing, and the lounge to which you will have access as a plat could not be more grand.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Even as a plat there is no guarantee of a suite upgrade. There is a good shot at a larger room, possibly a view.

You will have lounge access inc. free breakfast at all.

Here are things to consider, re: your criteria:

JW Grosvenor House: solid location in Mayfair, but ten minute walk to tube. Close to posh shopping, not as close to tourist sites. Outstanding lounge with solid breakfast offerings. Great scones and clotted cream in afternoon. Decent shot at upgrades due to large number of suites and your short stay. Unimpressive turn down service, if you care. Well run/responsive for a hotel of its size.

Marriott Park Lane: solid Mayfair location, right next to Marble Arch tube stop. Lounge should be newly renovated by then. Close to posh shopping, not as close to tourist sites. Little to no shot at upgrades, but rooms are generous (standard room is same size as the larger non-suite rooms at the JW). When we stayed during the Olympics turn down service included a nice goody each night (macarons, candy, etc.). Hotel is small, which I like, though it seems less grand than the JW because of that.

County Hall: Heart of tourist London, right on the river overlooking Big Ben. Tube stop just across Westminster Bridge (but walking across the bridge is a PITA because it is always crowded with folks taking pictures). Can also head south to the Waterloo tube station. We have always been upgraded to large rooms, often to Big Ben/river view rooms, and once to a balcony Big Ben view (the best). Lounge is small, offerings okay. Breakfast often served downstairs in the Library. Last year when I was there the quality of the breakfast was disappointing. I've found the hotel a bit disorganized of late.

St. Pancras Renaissance: Great for transportation, but there is nothing tourist attractive in the area. No upgrades to Chambers rooms w/out supplemental charge of at least £75. Rooms are modern, comfortable, but not grand. That said, the building is amazing, and the lounge to which you will have access as a plat could not be more grand.
Great descriptions...much appreciated! I am now leaning toward to the JW.

Have you stayed at the EDITION?
The two autograph collections...threadneedles or St. ermins?
Lastly what about the marriott marble arch?

Those last 4 options should complete my decision list. Thanks in advance for your help
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Great descriptions...much appreciated! I am now leaning toward to the JW.

Have you stayed at the EDITION?
The two autograph collections...threadneedles or St. ermins?
Lastly what about the marriott marble arch?

Those last 4 options should complete my decision list. Thanks in advance for your help
Perhaps these latter posts should be split off & posted in the Family Marriotts in London threads since this thread is specific to Grosvenor House, JW Marriott & comparisons are housed in the family thread. In addition, you could also read the specific property threads since each of the ones you've mentioned have their own threads

One correction is that the GH is a 5-minute walk to the Marble Arch tube stop (I timed it) & 10 minutes to Hyde Park tube stop, not 10 minutes to each.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
One correction is that the GH is a 5-minute walk to the Marble Arch tube stop (I timed it) & 10 minutes to Hyde Park tube stop, not 10 minutes to each.
I'm sure you're right. It just feels like ten minutes at the end of the day when my feet hurt.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Deleted.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:57 pm

How's the London Marriott Maida Vale?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Anyone have thoughts on JW Marriott Grosvenor House vs Marriott London Grosvenor Square? Thinking about visiting London at the end of the year on points. Seems like JW Marriott has gotten slightly better reviews but I would like to know the opinions of anyone who has stayed at both
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:30 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-england.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.