Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Old Nov 2, 1999, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist

I've got a certificate for 2 free weekend nights that I plan to use for an upcoming trip to London 1/15-17. I know Marriott has a number of properties there and they all appear to be available for use with my certificates. Any suggestions (or places to avoid) would be helpful.
Old Nov 2, 1999, 5:22 pm

Go for Grosvenor Square if it's available. (Last time I was in London it was not.) Beautiful hotel. Great location.

I have yet to see the "new" County Hall, but it looks nice as well.

Nothing wrong with Marble Arch or Regents Park, but they're simply not as nice.

[This message has been edited by UpgradeMe (edited 11-02-1999).]
Old Nov 2, 1999, 5:36 pm
Original Member

I stayed at the Regents Park location about a year ago. Nice enough, and an easy walk to the Swiss Cottage underground station.
Old Nov 2, 1999, 5:50 pm

it's a no brainer, stay in mayfair one of mr. marriott's favorites!
Old Nov 2, 1999, 6:11 pm

It really depends on what you want. If you want a great location, then choose the Marriott Grosvenor Square. If you want a great view, then try to reserve a room facing the River Thames and the Houses of Parliament at the Marriott County Hall. However, if you want a river view room at the Marriott County Hall, you may have to pay about 17 pounds/night.
Old Nov 2, 1999, 6:45 pm
Original Member

Agree with UpgradeMe and Upintheair. Grosvenor is great, and County Hall is a nice location too (although I haven't stayed there). Grosvenor would be my pick though, close to so much, like Piccadilly, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Berkeley Square, Mayfair, all the shopping on Oxford Street, etc.
Old Nov 2, 1999, 10:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Spent three nights at the County Hall in July courtesy of Marriott.

Nice hotel, great rooms. Service just fair to middling. Room service was slow, and it took forever to get our bags the day we checked in.

Great location though, close to Parliment and not too far to Buckingham Palace. Right next door to the giant ferris wheel that BA is erecting for the millenium.

Robert Johnson
danville 1K
Old Nov 7, 1999, 1:07 pm
EMD
Original Member

I stayed at the Marble Arch about 2 yrs ago for 4 nights - one of our group is a Marriott employee, so we got the "good" rate - we thought it was awesome - pretty small, restaurant was okay, some cute pubs in the neighborhood - and about one block from a tube stop. Have fun!!!
Old Nov 18, 1999, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I have stayed at a number of the Marriot properties in London.

If you are staying near the airport, the new LHR Marriot Slaugh (there is an older, farther LHR Marriot Slaugh, so be careful) is a quite nice business class style of a hotel.

For staying in the city, the Marble Arch is just ok. It is an older hotel, with small rooms, in an ok part of the city. It is within walking distance of Bond Street shopping and Hyde Park. An Underground station is just a few blocks away.

Grosvenor Square is a nicer hotel than Marble Arch. I stayed there on business a few months ago. Lets just say that if I had payed for the stay out of my own pocket, I would have been very disappointed. The rooms are small, and are could use a little bit of renovation. That said, the location is quite excellent. Right around the corner from the US embassy and other wealthy neighborhoods, excellent access to shopping on Bond Street, and just a few blocks away from an Underground station. Restaurants are small, and the lobby and public areas are pretty much non-existant.

The new London County Hall is in my opinion, a fantastic hotel. The location is just across the Thames River from Parliament, Big Ben and Westminister Abbey (try and attend the chior Sing Song on Wednesdays as the singing is beautiful). Trafalgar square and the National Museum (open late on Wednesdays) are within walking distance. I like to walk around when I visit cities, and so Buckingham Palace is also close by (approx 1.5 miles?) The view of the river from the restaurant is outstanding. There is an underground station just on the other side of the river. A nice day walk I like to take the underground to Leicester Square and the theater district, stroll through Picadilly Square and then by Buckingham Palace and the Pall Mall, through Trafalgar Square and then back along the Thames back to County Hall. (Maybe 5 miles?) There is a fantastic gym facilities, with an indoor lap pool (my wife say it and raved, I have to admit that I did not see the gym myself)
County Hall is also cheaper!

I may be in London in the beginning of December, and I will try to stay at County Hall.

Just my humble opinion

Old Aug 16, 2000, 5:09 pm
dg1

To resurrect this topic, given these preferences:

1) Want to be in the center of it all -- hotel quality itself is not as important as location and safety.

2) Don't want to walk a lot.

3) Don't plan to do much except sightsee only at major sights...

Would Marble Arch or Grovesnor be the best choice (given I'd like to stay at a Marriott)? That's my read of the comments above but just would like to make sure. County Hall seems like it would be a third choice.

Thanks,
Old Aug 17, 2000, 7:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
Grosvenor Square
Old Aug 17, 2000, 11:21 am

Beware the location of the Regent's Park Marriott. Although it's only a short walk from the Swiss Cottage tube, that line (Jubilee, I think) doesn't go to Oxford or Picadilly Circus, requiring a transfer. Unlike New York, the Underground does not run late at night so if you attend the theatre, followed by dinner, followed by a club, you'll find yourself taking a taxi way out to the Marriott. And the hotel is 1970's ugly modern. As long as you're not paying, go for the Grovsnor Square (I am redeeming 5 nights there in October and I can't wait!)
Old Aug 17, 2000, 5:39 pm

My favorite is the the Marriott at Marble Arch.Stayed there last November.

The rooms are on the small side ,but the location is great.A short walk to Oxford St . or Hyde Park,or a quick cab to Knightsbridge.
Old Aug 18, 2000, 7:45 am

Grosvenor Square
Old Aug 18, 2000, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Well, it's been a while, but I ended up staying free at a combo of Hyatt Carlton Tower (BAD) and Sheraton Park Lane (Great). I did walk by the Marriott Grosvsnor Square and it is a beautiful hotel in a lovely setting. It is close to Bond Street and lots of shopping and sights. Given the chance I would definately stay there (if I wanted to accrue Marriott points). While the Marriott County Hall gets great reviews, it is right behind (literally) the London Eye and the London Aquarium, so massive amounts of tourist tend to congregate in front of the hotel. Also it is across the Thames from most attractions (while not far, it is not in the 'midst' of everything.) I did not see that many restaurants nearby either--but I could be wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.