Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by thegoderic
London is full this week with hotel rooms at a premium. GH was my choice of last choice, not because I don't like it, quite the opposite, but simply because of where it is in relation to where I need to be.

I turned up late tonight, expecting a standard room, given that the hotel is full, and to my surprise and delight, I have a Park View suite on the 7th floor.

Once I get round to working out how to do the technology on my iPad, I'll post a video on you tube giving a perspective on the size of the suite. It's HUGE. I've lived in apartments that were smaller.
It is a lovely suite. I don't think it's on the main list of upgrades (for obvious reasons), but is fabulous. I lucked out a few years ago & got it on a stay, but not since.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
February 2011 Update
... the Americans in the lounge treated (evening) as though it was a free bar (yeehaw!), along w/ trying to make the offerings their dinner. I hate to single out my compatriots but it's true. And yes I realize it's there so people can eat/drink as they like, but the UK, French, Middle East, etc, didn't look at it as a trough.
From your comment you would think that everyone in the world are polite except Americans. From my experience this summer at the GH lounge, I can assure you that guests from the Middle East, Asia (and gasp! The UK!) treated the lounge food and bar selection as their own (entitled) trough.

Whenever I stereotype someone I am usually proved wrong (much to my wife's glee). I am sure for every ill-mannered American guest you can find others from other cultures and countries just as bad.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
this is a great hotel----period
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
From your comment you would think that everyone in the world are polite except Americans. From my experience this summer at the GH lounge, I can assure you that guests from the Middle East, Asia (and gasp! The UK!) treated the lounge food and bar selection as their own (entitled) trough.

Whenever I stereotype someone I am usually proved wrong (much to my wife's glee). I am sure for every ill-mannered American guest you can find others from other cultures and countries just as bad.
My comment was based on what I observed during my stay and was accurate.

I stayed at a different property in a dif country recently, and it was equal opportunity feeding nationalitywise at the trough.

So I don't feel I stereotyped re: what I observed at GH.

I do find it interesting that, out of my entire, incredibly lengthy description of the hotel in the initial post & annual updates, that's the part you picked to comment on.

Back on-topic re: the property itself. Still my favorite in London. Haven't tried St. Pancras yet, but think based on the hit/miss of lounge access there I'll stick w/ Grosvenor House.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: MAR platinum, UA, DL
LHR to Marriott Park Lane Hotel in London

Looking for suggestion for best way for my family consisting of 6 people to travel from LHR to Marriott Park Lane Hotel in London in November. BA flight scheduled to land at 7:30 pm and want to go directly to hotel. I realize two cabs would work, but probably quite expensive. Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never regretted springing for the extra $$ to have a car service waiting for us at LHR. After flying from LAX to DFW to LHR with 2 small children I could have hugged that man standing there with his VickiSoCal sign ready to take one of our bags and whisk us away.

Edited to add that we used Simply Airports.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:12 am
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold
Paid $75 for 3 of us from Terminal 4 LHR to the Grosvenor House in early September. Well worth the money. Booked online at airportcars.co.uk
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:31 am

If you go to the UK & Ireland forum, they have an excellent stickey on transportation options re: getting into the city, including recommended minicab & car services & pricing.

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Had you been 1 or 2 people, I would have said Heathrow Express or Connect to Paddington, then a taxi (or, for the adventuresome, hop a bus) to the hotel. However, at 6 people, it will probably be cheaper if you can get a private transfer.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:14 pm

Take the Tube to Hyde Park Corner and walk. It's probably a 15 minute walk. Hyde Park Corner is on the Piccadilly line, the same as LHR, so you don't have to switch.

Here's a Google Map with the directions: http://g.co/maps/j2njy
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:18 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
https://www.simplyairports.co.uk/booking/

These people seem to charge £67 for up to 8 people and 12 suitcases in a decent sized van. For 6 of you that would be zero hassle and cheaper than the HEX
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the one we use and since we often travel with 4 or 5 people it is cheaper than public transit and starts the trip off with as little hassle as possible. When on my own, or with just the husband, I am all for public transportation, but with family groups that often include the young and the not-so-young, car service is totally worth it.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Back on-topic re: the property itself. Still my favorite in London. Haven't tried St. Pancras yet, but think based on the hit/miss of lounge access there I'll stick w/ Grosvenor House.

Cheers.
I've switched around since I started staying at St Pancras. At first I preferred it to GH, but there are more than a few fundamental issues with StP that makes GH better IMHO.

StP doies have the wow factor, but the Chambers rooms are noisy - just off Euston Road an no double glazing due tolisted building status. Some design touches in the room make it difficult to work as well. It may seem like heresy, butI prefer the new rooms there to the old.

However the minor annoyances do sway things in GH's favour as far as I'm concerned.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:22 pm

London Marble Arch - Lounge worth 50GBP?

We are a family of 3 (one 11 y/o child) going to London during school break in February. We have just enough points for a 5 night award stay at a cat 7 hotel. Marble Arch is available, but availability is limited to a room with one king sized bed, or two doubles with lounge access for an additional 50 GBP per night. Not knowing current prices in London, and not knowing the area, is it worth it to pay for lounge access? That would give us enough breakfast to go on, snacks for the day - and DH does love his beer/wine in the evenings. I appreciate your thoughts, thank you!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:17 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

For three people, it's worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.