Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It's funny how much more productive a phone call can be than an e-mail, especially when one is asking for something. Perhaps there is a lesson there.

The awesome-ness of the GH will be even more apparent once you get there. The hotel is great, the rooms are better and the staff is the best.

Enjoy your stay and we look forward to your review.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:43 am

Grosvenor Square vs. Park Lane Marriott

I am staying in London for one night, 12/30, and have found the best rate options to be either the Park Lane Marriott (149 pounds, adv purchase) or the Grosvenor Square Marriott (120 pounds, entertainment card required). Any opinions on which would be better? I'm leaning towards the Grosvenor Square hotel b/c of cost and b/c I won't be locked into the rate, but I don't know much about either hotel. Does anyone know if the Grosvenor Square concierge lounge is open on the weekend?

Also - when it says 'entertainment card required' - that's just something from the Entertainment Book sold in the US, right? I don't have one but will buy one to get the rate.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Don’t know if you tried to search but there are quite a few threads on London Marriotts, there is a long thread on the Grosvenor House Marriott which includes comments on other London Marriotts as well.

I stayed at the GS Marriott for two nights in Jan 07 because of the Entertainment Rate. They didn’t ask for the Entertainment card, but I am Platinum so I am not sure if that makes a difference. (I bought the Entertainment Book before I left and had the card just in case.) Dec 30 is a Sunday. I arrived on a Sunday around 11:30am and had no problems with early check in. Not sure what time you will be arriving, but I went by the lounge around noon for some water and it was open (no attendant present) and had snacks and drinks available all day. (The attendant was there later in the day when the appetizers were brought out and was very friendly.) The GS is in the Mayfair section of London, just off Bond Street. The tube stop is a short walk away and there is abundant shopping on Bond Street as well. Gordon Ramsay’s Maze restaurant is in the hotel if you want a pricey dinner. The staff at the hotel were great, I was treated like royalty. I really enjoyed my stay there and will be going back next month.

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with the Park Lane Marriott
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've stayed at both. Both are good properties, but for your situation I'd go w/ Grosvenor Square. You'll save about $70US doing so, given the prices you list above.

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I have some experience at the Park Lane. Hotel is nothing special, but service is truly 5-star from all. Concierge lounge on lobby floor has snacks and hot breakfast, canapes at night. Booze isn't free. There is NO free internet in the lounge - you need to buy a 15 min access card from the front desk or £15 a day in your room (there is an internet cafe right across Oxford St. for £1/hr if you need it). Location is on Hyde Park corner, literally on top of the Marble Arch tube station.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
So my cell phone rings this morning, and guess what? It's a very nice young lady from Guest Relations department of the GH. She is super apologetic that nobody has replied to my email yet, and explains that is due to the fact that the person who receives those emails is on holiday right now. This young lady addressed all my questions and was extraordinarily helpful.

The interesting thing is that in my email I didn't list my cell phone number! The only way she could have found it, as far as I know, is to look it up through my Marriott Rewards account information... I'm pretty sure it's my primary contact number listed. Certainly went through the extra effort to make sure she could reach me and address any questions. Impressive indeed.

Clearly the GM at this property has done a terrific job of making sure the staff places a high degree of import on guest relations! So far the staff interactions at this property have been top notch! I can't wait to stay there.

Last edited by woojink; Dec 13, 2007 at 4:03 pm
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:32 pm

Yup - that's the type of service I've gotten at Grosvenor House! But even I'm impressed they tracked down your cell #.

BTW - wonder if we could turn over the website stuff to GH staff - maybe it would get sorted sooner

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:40 pm

As mentioned, both are good properties & you will not go wrong with either. But I've had better service from GS than PL staff over the years.

However, as most Marriott FTers know, my true love now is Grosvenor House (not to be confused w/ Square).

But for a 1-night stay, given the 2 properties are good, go w/ what will cost you less $$. That's what I would do.

BTW - I find it quite funny that Park Lane is on top of the Marble Arch tube stop as pjoalfa mentioned, and the Marble Arch Marriott (which is a typical biz Marriott; nothing fancy) is farther away LOL...

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: United 1K; WN A List
I have stayed at both and Grosvenor is my favorite. Now that the renovations are complete I think it is great.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:23 am

Thanks to everyone for their help! We're really looking forward to the trip!

Kelly
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got 10 nights booked next Fall at the Ren Chan (GH wouldn't take 3 people, and availability was poor, anyhow). Also looking to spend a couple nights at the Amsterdam Marriott.

From the reports coming in (especially from you, Sharon ), it appears these properties would even please our large friend out in RoseBowlCity.

Oooh, starting to get pumped! I love it when these things start coming together.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 7:35 am

If you don't already have it, you might want to file this in your address book for use closer to arrival date.:

[email protected]

Ren CC Guest Relations Dept., Super-gracious; make every effort to meet special requests. (Among other things arranged for pastry chef to create an exquistely decorated birthday cake for the wife (AS soon as she saw it she grabbed camera), accompanied by a card signed by many of the staff.

Really torn as to next trip between GH as a JW (certanly tempting) and this hotel.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rahmanbar
If you don't already have it, you might want to file this in your address book for use closer to arrival date.:

[email protected]

Ren CC Guest Relations Dept., Super-gracious; make every effort to meet special requests. (Among other things arranged for pastry chef to create an exquistely decorated birthday cake for the wife (AS soon as she saw it she grabbed camera), accompanied by a card signed by many of the staff.

Really torn as to next trip between GH as a JW (certanly tempting) and this hotel.
Yep. Had an award res there for last Christmas, but was unable to use it. Before I cancelled, I got a long email from them, outlining the situation in London at Christmas, some suggestions as to what to do, their plans to keep guests happy and occupied, etc. I thought it was a really nice touch. ^
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:51 am

I've not stayed at Ren CC, but a lot of others have. I think for London, GH & RCC are THE 2 main places to stay now based on the reviews. Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by woojink
Clearly the GM at this property has done a terrific job of making sure the staff places a high degree of import on guest relations! So far the staff interactions at this property have been top notch!
Yes, the GM is very good but it is the Front Office management who drive this high level of guest service and satisfaction. The result is an excellent team who is led well.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 14, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.